Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RenoG

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2010
This dude is excited to be working for apple now so he's doing a throw back look in honor of the late 70's Steve Jobs. Let's give him his nerdy hipster moment.

AgentElliot007

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2010
I think the iWatch is going to be a lot simpler and yet a lot more complicated than most are expecting. Nike Fuelband on steroids with the Apple touch.

iGrip

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
Would be interesting when he's onboard how different he will look with the 'Apple look'; white background, haircut, and designer glasses can do wonders! :cool:, like that John Brownett dude - he looked 10 years younger in his 'after' pic

If he's a designer, then why doesn't he design a look which doesn't scream "I'm a schlump!"?

iCarabma

macrumors 6502
Feb 22, 2012
2 things that we can take from this:

1. An iOS wearable is coming.

2. It's not coming anytime soon. This isn't the guy you hire when you are getting ready to ship. This is the guy you hire when you are going back to the drawing board.

Tiger8

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2011
If he's a designer, then why doesn't he design a look which doesn't scream "I'm a schlump!"?

I don't think that's a good picture, Vogue.de had a small writeup about him, and he doesn't look too bad with shorter hair and a nicer shirt.

This pic makes him look nothing like a sports brand designer! :D

giantfan1224

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2012
2. It's not coming anytime soon. This isn't the guy you hire when you are getting ready to ship. This is the guy you hire when you are going back to the drawing board.

I logged in to point this out. Beat me to it. I'm thinking a 2014 release would now be optimistic.

iGrip

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
I don't think that's a good picture, Vogue.de had a small writeup about him, and he doesn't look too bad with shorter hair and a nicer shirt.

This pic makes him look nothing like a sports brand designer! :D

He looks like an actor from a bad 1970's movie about living in a college town.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
According to Fast Company this guy and Nike's "Innovation Kitchen" were not involved in the fuel band. Schaffer was specifically involved in shoes. Since Fast Company recently did a cover story on Nike I'd tend to trust them over 9to5Mac. It would be nice if rumor sites did a bit more research before they publish stuff.

http://t.co/LIGT2dDIK9

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009
Apple getting the team in place to seriously dominate yet another consumer space.

According to Fast Company this guy and Nike's "Innovation Kitchen" were not involved in the fuel band. Schaffer was specifically involved in shoes. Since Fast Company recently did a cover story on Nike I'd tend to trust them over 9to5Mac. It would be nice if rumor sites did a bit more research before they publish stuff.

http://t.co/LIGT2dDIK9

Is Apple now going to dominate shoes consumer space?

jb510

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2007
Why do so many think so narrowly? Yes, iWatch may be coming, but it seems far more likely that Apple is trying to do something revolutionary and new. It seems to me just as likely that Ben Shaffer will be working on the iShoe, iPocketProtector, iRucksack and iBelt as it is an iWatch... and further there is an entirely spectrum of underlying technology that I'm sure and and other's are developing. Kinetic charging of batteries? Body/health sensors? etc...

Assuming the wearable space is limited to either the first forays into wearable the focused on glasses and wrist devices or simply by existing non-digital wearables is just dumb.

fhopper

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2007
Ks.
I think Apple will develop the interface standard for communicating with clothing.Temp, humidity, variable SPF rating, ... lots of data. Yes there will be iOS devices that can use the data and a watch would make sense as a kinda "shuffle 1.0" device for accessing and controlling the interface.

vpro

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2012
All of it, pieces o'crap!

Hah, most incredible and reliable, sexiest watch in the world, my Dad's time piece the awesome Ulysse Nardin Triplejack Minute Repeater, I know, a mouthful but wow no other time piece will be worth it, no design direction from anyone including cousin IT here will impress a girl like me. ^_^ I love you Daddy!!!

mrxak

macrumors 68000
Let's not forget what people thought digital music players should look like before the iPod, or what they thought that Apple's phone would look like before the iPhone came out. Everyone was wrong. My gut feeling is, the iWatch will be surprising. It will not look like a watch as we think of watches today. I could be wrong, but this is Apple we're talking about. The things we can easily imagine have already been done before. Apple's expertise is in imagining things other people haven't imagined, and it's somehow better.

When I think about smart shoes, the first thing that comes to my mind is kinetic energy. You can actually get electricity from the impacts of your feet on the ground. There's been talk of utilizing that sort of kinetic energy from floor panels in buildings to make buildings greener. But what if you could harness that energy from people's shoes, and have that energy charge other wearable technology? I think such a "shoe charger" is not going to come along for a number of years, but it's interesting that Apple is hiring more and more wearable tech designers. Kinetic energy, though, can definitely be used for watches, and already is. I wouldn't be terribly surprised if an iWatch used either solar charging, kinetic charging, or both, rather than a battery you need to plug in. If the iWatch is being marketed especially towards active individuals (and it seems Apple has a big focus on that lately with Nike partnerships and the M7 chip), kinetic charging would make a lot of sense.

redrog

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2008
In a few years, there won't be a need for an iwatch. What you will have is an iphone which is light and flexible and wraps round your wrist.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.