Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

campingsk8er

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 4, 2011
Elizabethtown, PA
Hey All! I searched several pages worth of the forum to see if this was already talked about, but couldn't find it. Anyway, When I had my iPhone 4 and iPhone 5 with Verizon (iOS 4, 5 and 6) there was Visual Voicemail. But now in iOS 7 there is no more Visual Voicemail. Yes, I am fully aware that this is a beta, I'm just new to this. Is this something that normally doesn't make it back until the final release, or do you think it is gone for good?

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Hey All! I searched several pages worth of the forum to see if this was already talked about, but couldn't find it. Anyway, When I had my iPhone 4 and iPhone 5 with Verizon (iOS 4, 5 and 6) there was Visual Voicemail. But now in iOS 7 there is no more Visual Voicemail. Yes, I am fully aware that this is a beta, I'm just new to this. Is this something that normally doesn't make it back until the final release, or do you think it is gone for good?

I'm not sure what the issue would be? Can you take a screenshot?

I have an iPhone 5 on Verizon. When the first iOS 7 beta came out, I was still living in MD, have since moved to Atlanta. I have and have had visual voicemail the entire time.

Are you sure you're just not being thrown by the new UI?

campingsk8er

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 4, 2011
Elizabethtown, PA
I'm not sure what the issue would be? Can you take a screenshot?

I have an iPhone 5 on Verizon. When the first iOS 7 beta came out, I was still living in MD, have since moved to Atlanta. I have and have had visual voicemail the entire time.

Are you sure you're just not being thrown by the new UI?

I live in Maryland as well, but I'm pretty sure I'm not getting confused. Here are the screenshots. I opened up the Phone app, and then as soon as I click Voicemail, it calls my Voicemail. Could you possibly post screenshots of what it is supposed to look like?

Attachments

• photo%201.PNG
    photo%201.PNG
    138.1 KB · Views: 168
  • photo%202.PNG
    photo%202.PNG
    229.8 KB · Views: 145
  • photo%203.PNG
    photo%203.PNG
    229.8 KB · Views: 170

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
I live in Maryland as well, but I'm pretty sure I'm not getting confused. Here are the screenshots. I opened up the Phone app, and then as soon as I click Voicemail, it calls my Voicemail. Could you possibly post screenshots of what it is supposed to look like?

Very strange. Here is what it looks like.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    142.8 KB · Views: 308

boxermansr

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2011
El Paso, TX

Try logging into MyVerizon (website) and resetting your voicemail password, this has happened to me in the past (usually after a fresh re-install of iOS). For some reason the voicemail system isn't aware that you have visual voicemail so it tries to call regular voicemail (*86).

serenemind

macrumors newbie
Aug 21, 2011
I am noticing the same behavior as OP described. I tried resetting the password on the AT&T website and several other options, but I am still unable to see the visual voicemail.

I am on AT&T iphone 4s

Runt888

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2008
Try changing your voicemail password through the Settings app (Settings->Phone->Change Voicemail Password).

I'm on a AT&T 4S and haven't had any problems with it working.

campingsk8er

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 4, 2011
Elizabethtown, PA
I changed my Passcode on Verizon's website, and initially it did not work, but after waiting an hour and rebooting my phone, Visual Voicemail FINALLY works!

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
I changed my Passcode on Verizon's website, and initially it did not work, but after waiting an hour and rebooting my phone, Visual Voicemail FINALLY works!

Glad you got something to work for you!

Great advice from the others, never would have thought of that.

Shanghai44

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2013
ios 7 and Visual Voicemail

I, as many of you it seems, was an early adopter of ios 7
Upgraded from ios 6 on T-Mobile without incident.

A short while later I began receiving this cryptic alert: Visual Voicemail currently unavailable.
Further inspection revealed the "Greeting" function was crippled" couldn't play it or access it
to change it—the page just locked up. Rest assured, however, all your voice mails are intact—
just not visible.

My first impulse was to side with all the circulating ios 7 bug reports and find fault with Apple.
Half an hour on the phone with T-Mobile support (they were stumped) led nowhere.
Subsequently, independent action revealed (much to my chagrin) the fault was mine.
Mea maxima culpa.

I habitually turn offf Cellular Data in Settings, believing this to extend battery life.
Therein lies the crux of the problem. Cellular Data must be active for Visual Voicemail to
function. It took much digging to arrive at this simple truth, but there it is.
Interestingly, this was the only reference I could find that touched upon this aspect.

I am not offering this as a panacea to all your voicemail ills,
but I do hope some of you may find this, as I have, to be an idiot-simple solution.

You can find the nugget I uncovered here under Check Signal:
http://www.apple.com/support/iphone/...ail/#section_1

webitorgal

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2011
I don't know about you, but my play button is ghosted out on visual voicemail (but only the newest voicemail). Anyone else having this problem? I have an iPhone 5.

zelduh

macrumors newbie
May 15, 2011
Los Angeles, California, USA
You solved my problem!

It was so simple and I had struggled with it for days!:p

Thank you for sharing your helpful "idiot-simple" hint!

I, as many of you it seems, was an early adopter of ios 7
Upgraded from ios 6 on T-Mobile without incident.

A short while later I began receiving this cryptic alert: Visual Voicemail currently unavailable.
Further inspection revealed the "Greeting" function was crippled" couldn't play it or access it
to change it—the page just locked up. Rest assured, however, all your voice mails are intact—
just not visible.

My first impulse was to side with all the circulating ios 7 bug reports and find fault with Apple.
Half an hour on the phone with T-Mobile support (they were stumped) led nowhere.
Subsequently, independent action revealed (much to my chagrin) the fault was mine.
Mea maxima culpa.

I habitually turn offf Cellular Data in Settings, believing this to extend battery life.
Therein lies the crux of the problem. Cellular Data must be active for Visual Voicemail to
function. It took much digging to arrive at this simple truth, but there it is.
Interestingly, this was the only reference I could find that touched upon this aspect.

I am not offering this as a panacea to all your voicemail ills,
but I do hope some of you may find this, as I have, to be an idiot-simple solution.

You can find the nugget I uncovered here under Check Signal:
http://www.apple.com/support/iphone/...ail/#section_1

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.