Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dumastudetto

macrumors 603
Aug 28, 2013
Los Angeles, USA
It amazes that anyone could possibly ditch iPad after deploying one in their personal ecosystem of life. If you do it you'll regret it for sure. iPad is an irreplaceable product for billions of people.

Badrottie

Suspended
May 8, 2011
Los Angeles
ipad is great for me when I am on my bed watching movies and I can bring it with me anywhere without having to lug my expensive rMBP over to library or starbucks and worry about someone accidentally spill their coffee over my rMBP! :apple:

petvas

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2006
Munich, Germany
It amazes that anyone could possibly ditch iPad after deploying one in their personal ecosystem of life. If you do it you'll regret it for sure. iPad is an irreplaceable product for billions of people.

The iPad is certainly a great device, but we are all different you know..
I sold mine three weeks ago and I don't miss it at all. Having said that, I might get an iPad Mini when the Retina model is available, but not because I need it...

MikeyMike01

macrumors 6502
Apr 4, 2010
I went the other way. I've hit a nice balance with Android for my phones, iOS for my tablets. I use OSX for the heavier tasks. I think iOS is great for home stuff, and I use the Apple TV a lot.

I considered that, but Android integrates incredibly poorly with iOS and OS X. I'm not in the least bit interested in using Google's services either.

dumastudetto

macrumors 603
Aug 28, 2013
Los Angeles, USA
I sold mine three weeks ago and I don't miss it at all. Having said that, I might get an iPad Mini when the Retina model is available, but not because I need it...

Anyone who says they don't need iPad is kidding themselves. iPad is so versatile that it can improve the quality of life, productivity and financial well-being of every person on the planet. You've secretly understood this hence your desire to acquire an iPad Mini ASAP.

petvas

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2006
Munich, Germany
Anyone who says they don't need iPad is kidding themselves. iPad is so versatile that it can improve the quality of life, productivity and financial well-being of every person on the planet. You've secretly understood this hence your desire to acquire an iPad Mini ASAP.

Why can't you just simple accept that there are people in this universe with other needs?
if I get one, then only because I want to have one. I won't be using it a lot anyway..I prefer my Macbook Air every single time.

Reactions: Billy95Tech

Donki

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2013
I'm in the middle. I really want the ipad mini, with a retina screen, and phone capabilities.

That would be my one device to rule them all.

You'd look liek a right tit holding a Mini to your ear :D, but I do agree phone capabilities would be good. I have used face time audio so much on my commute to and from work it is unreal.

vivek28

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 8, 2013

I second that..

racer1441

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2009
You'd look liek a right tit holding a Mini to your ear :D, but I do agree phone capabilities would be good. I have used face time audio so much on my commute to and from work it is unreal.

Bluetooth. I always use bluetooth anyway because I can't talk on the phone and not do something else, so it's a great way to make the mini a phone with out looking silly!

ABC5S

Suspended
Sep 10, 2013
Florida
Sorry it didn't work out for you, OP. But I suppose this iPad isn't for everyone, and that's ok. You mentioned, however, you had trouble holding the iPad, and I guess that's due to expectations. Sure, the iPad is heavy compared to an iPhone, but it's lighter than most hard covered books. So basically, with the iPad, I can carry hundreds of books with me to read wherever I want, whereas before, I could usually bring only one, at most two. Obviously, if I want to just read books, then a dedicated ereader like the kindle is even lighter, but with an iPad, I can also surf the Internet, do email, play some games, etc. if you are satisfied with the iPhone for all this, good for you, but my eyes are not getting any younger, so I appreciate the extra space on the iPad. So nothing wrong with you preferring the iPhone, probably just means you've got good eyes! ;)

Totally agree with you. Just returned my iphone 5S yesterday after noticing some eye strain, and blurriness with the small screen. I getting older as well, so the iPad 5 coming out will be more to my liking. Had the iPad 3 a while back, and its much better at what I do. So OP, what ever you like, but you don't speak for everyone. We are all a little different.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Totally agree with you. Just returned my iphone 5S yesterday after noticing some eye strain, and blurriness with the small screen. I getting older as well, so the iPad 5 coming out will be more to my liking. Had the iPad 3 a while back, and its much better at what I do. So OP, what ever you like, but you don't speak for everyone. We are all a little different.

Yeah, the 5S... I got one too, and am debating whether to keep it or return it and stay with the iPhone 5. If the 5S had iOS 6 on it, keeping it would be a no brainer, but iOS 7 is really hard on my eyes! If I do keep this, I'll be wearing my reading glasses a lot more, lol.

vivek28

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 8, 2013
Wierd-a$$ thread. Is this thread sponsored by Samsung?

No, I dont own a single samsung device..and never will except for TVs maybe..

----------

Respect your opinion, but i am not glued to iphone everytime when i am outside. I do like people interactions much more and my job work. See if u try to read for long times eye strain comes naturally. I guess in ur case ipad would work well.

Macalway

macrumors 68040
Aug 7, 2013
NOOOOOOOO...........:eek::eek::eek:

Could you please refrain from words like "ditched" .

Or I "junked", tossed.

It's a bit scary :eek:

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Respect your opinion, but i am not glued to iphone everytime when i am outside. I do like people interactions much more and my job work. See if u try to read for long times eye strain comes naturally. I guess in ur case ipad would work well.

You must be very young and/or have very good eyesight, to think that eye strain only happens from being "glued to iPhone" for long periods of time. And also, people do use iPads for reading long pieces of writing, like novels and entire books. If that's not your thing, I can see why you don't need an iPad, and an iPhone is enough for you. For those of us that like to curl up with a good book, an iPad is just the thing. It's about the size and weight of a small hard-cover book, but it can contain hundreds of books, which we can keep with us at all times!

PhoneI

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2008
Why does it need to be an iPhone or an iPad? I use both for different purposes. I'm not giving up either.

DisplacedMic

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2009
Why can't you just simple accept that there are people in this universe with other needs?
if I get one, then only because I want to have one. I won't be using it a lot anyway..I prefer my Macbook Air every single time.

pretty sure he's joking.

Orchidkid

macrumors newbie
Feb 7, 2011
I purchased the iPad when it first came out and then upgraded to the first one with retina. After awhile I sold both of them not thinking I needed them and they were a luxury.

I laughed when there was talk of an iPad mini because I thought it was just another thing to make money on.

Well, I ate my words when I first held the iPad mini. I really liked the size and weight. It fits perfect in my bag and it is great on long airplane trips. I can easily hold it when watching movies.

I am a huge fan of retina and never thought I would buy something without it. The size and weight is worth it for me, maybe a mini would work better for your needs.

yep-sure

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
I started off with an iPhone 4, then got an iPad 2 as a Windows laptop replacement. I loved it at first, but once the novelty wore off, I found it getting less and less use.

This year, I finally gave in and got a MacBook Air and the iPad has been set up as a new device for my girlfriend, who herself, barely uses it (maybe once or twice a fortnight).

We both have iPhone 5's, and I love it. Outside of the house, the iPhone does everything I need. At home, it's the Air. You can't beat sitting on the couch with the Air, browsing while watching TV. You can't really do that on an iPad (having both in front of you in your direct line of sight). You can't sit in bed with the iPad and type up work as comfortably as you can on an Air. And typing - it's just frustrating on an iPad even if you're just doing even a few posts on some forums.

Basically, in our house now we have:

1 x iPad 2
1 x 2011 iMac
2 x iPhone 5
1 x 2011 MacBook Pro (girlfriends)
1 x 2012 MacBook Air 11"

Way overkill, but over the last 2.5 years, we've accumulated these devices that we have no use for, due to the efficiency of others. We could easily drop the MBP, and the iPad 2 with absolutely no impact on our lives.

My parents on the other hand, LOVE their iPads. My mum won an iPad 2 through work around the time I brought mine. She would use it for at least an hour a night. Browsing, email, Candy Crush - she's all over it. My step dad picked up a Mini this year, and it's just the same.

It simply comes down to different tastes/needs for different people.

dumastudetto

macrumors 603
Aug 28, 2013
Los Angeles, USA
So, I have been using an ipad 3 sparingly for over a year. And to my conclusion that device don't fit in my ecosystem.

You didn't deploy iPad it correctly if it doesn't fit in your ecosystem. It's as simple as that really.

I believe that iphone 5 best suffices my portable IOS needs.. and at home mix usage of MBP 13 with SSD and iphone 5 suits me well.:) Browsing on iphone 5 screen really dont hurt much.;)

Anyone who feels the same.??

iPhone is incredible but it really needs to be complimented with a larger iPad for the full iOS experience. They are complimentary devices and I feel sorry for anyone who can't see the benefits of owning both.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
You didn't deploy iPad it correctly if it doesn't fit in your ecosystem. It's as simple as that really.

iPhone is incredible but it really needs to be complimented with a larger iPad for the full iOS experience. They are complimentary devices and I feel sorry for anyone who can't see the benefits of owning both.

I love the iPad, for me, it's the best device I've ever owned. That said, surely the iPad isn't for everyone. I can see how some people have no use for one, and I wouldn't feel sorry for them or tell them they are using it wrong. Different strokes and all that.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
I kinda agree with you. But I put iPad and iPhone on equal terms as the best devices I've ever owned. They have literally changed the world.

The iPhone is also great, but for me, the small screen makes it not quite the same level as the iPad. Granted, there are times I enjoy running around with just the iPhone in my pocket. But it just isn't as comfortable to use as the iPad, because everything is so much smaller.

ldburroughs

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2005
Virginia Beach, VA

Billions? I love it, but billions? I have tried a number of other tablets and I keep coming back to the iPad. There really is no comparison.

vivek28

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 8, 2013
Oh my my.. discussion going strong.. btw i have given my ipad 3 (so heavy..) in family and they love it ;) .
To be honest , an added real estate for IOS is a 'real' advantage for the content but wont it change the portable dimensions.. iphone vs ipad huh.. . And i would like to carry a just a single device in my pocket. I do use iphone 5 (ios apps and calling) for nike running and it is phenomenal in that..
I might plunge to ipads in future only if they are retina and super lighter.. not out off need but want..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.