Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jaben3421

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 18, 2011
CA
Hi everyone,
This fall my late 2009 MacMini turns four! I am going to be taking the SSD and RAM out of my MacBook and installing them into my MacMini and getting a new MacBook. With that said, I will have a 500GB HDD laying around, and am thinking about putting the HDD into my PS3, but after four years, is it at risk of failure? I just don't want to put into my PS3 and after six months have it fail.

opinio

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2013
Hi everyone,
This fall my late 2009 MacMini turns four! I am going to be taking the SSD and RAM out of my MacBook and installing them into my MacMini and getting a new MacBook. With that said, I will have a 500GB HDD laying around, and am thinking about putting the HDD into my PS3, but after four years, is it at risk of failure? I just don't want to put into my PS3 and after six months have it fail.

I have sata HDDs that have run for over ten years. But to know if yours is at risk of failure is impossible to know. Some fail after 1 month and many last for years and years. Most old HDDs I have to destroy because their capacity is too small now and they never failed.

I think the fact that the current drive has worked for 4 years suggests it is a good solid drive.

Jaben3421

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 18, 2011
CA
I have sata HDDs that have run for over ten years. But to know if yours is at risk of failure is impossible to know. Some fail after 1 month and many last for years and years. Most old HDDs I have to destroy because their capacity is too small now and they never failed.

I think the fact that the current drive has worked for 4 years suggests it is a good solid drive.

Thanks, that makes me feel like it's a safe drive to keep using.

What do you use the Mini for?

Mainly as a media server, watching youtube on my TV, very slight gaming including running a minecraft server, and surfing the web on my TV.

blanka

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2012
Mainly as a media server, watching youtube on my TV, very slight gaming including running a minecraft server, and surfing the web on my TV.
Aren't you better off with the current 500Gb drive then? Or opt for a 750Gb Scorpio Black or so. I know you have that spare SSD, but you might be better off selling the macbook with SSD and get a nice beefy HD for the Mini. I have the same model with scorpio, and it already gave a very nice performance boost (160-170MB/s read write). With Sata 3GB/s most SSD's are limited anyway.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.