Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today published a new YouTube video highlighting some of the best moments of its 2013 iTunes Festival in London, which featured 60 artists over the course of 30 days.

Artists that performed included Lady Gaga, The Lumineers, Queens of the Stone Age, Kings of Leon, Vampire Weekend, Robin Thicke, Justin Timberlake, Thirty Seconds to Mars, and Jack Johnson.

Though the festival was limited to attendees in the U.K. who won a free ticket via an iTunes lottery system, Apple also provided access through its iTunes Festival app and a dedicated channel on the Apple TV.

The festival will come to a close on September 30 with a performance from Katy Perry. Apple is expected to release a live EP from the show through the iTunes Store after the event ends, as it has done each year.

Article Link: Apple Releases New Video Featuring iTunes Festival 'Moments'

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
Meanwhile, at the Samsung Music Festival…

WorkersMGodwin460.jpg

nzalog

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2012
The festival will come to a close on September 30 with a performance from Katy Perry

How convenient, hearing Katy Perry makes me want to stop listening to music.

dmylrea

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2005
How convenient, hearing Katy Perry makes me want to stop listening to music.

You're either blind, or female. If neither, you're using the wrong sense. :D

----------

Apple is expected to release a live EP from the show through the iTunes Store after the event ends, as it has done each year.

For free, or for pay? If the latter, I suppose the income from that pays for the event, eh?

Tysknaden

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2013
I would prefer, if the iTunes Musicplayer for iOS would become beautiful and ergonomic again.
The white, scrollhungry desert makes me feel depressed!

BruceEBonus

macrumors 65816
Sep 23, 2007
Derbyshire, England
I feel sorry for the younger generation who consider this a "music" festival. But that's the Simon Cowell curse of image first, talent later legacy he and the other 'moguls' peddled. Sigh....

deno

macrumors newbie
Jun 6, 2006
I feel sorry for the younger generation who consider this a "music" festival. But that's the Simon Cowell curse of image first, talent later legacy he and the other 'moguls' peddled. Sigh....

HUH?

Sigur Ros, Queens Of The Stone Age, Arctic Monkeys, Kings Of Leon, Elton John, Chic, Primal Scream...PIXIES!!!

applebook

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2009
HUH?

Sigur Ros, Queens Of The Stone Age, Arctic Monkeys, Kings Of Leon, Elton John, Chic, Primal Scream...PIXIES!!!

He was probably referring to absolute tripe like Robin Thick and the slightly less tripy Timberfake.

Just reading Katy Perry described as an "artist" is pretty funny, but she's a genius and a breath of fresh air compared to that idiot Thicke.

Macist

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2009

Yes, Apple used to 'Think Different'. But when it comes to music they champion the same landfill slop as the rest of the media.

BruceEBonus

macrumors 65816
Sep 23, 2007
Derbyshire, England
Yes, Apple used to 'Think Different'. But when it comes to music they champion the same landfill slop as the rest of the media.

An Old Git Writes ....
Glad you got the gist :) actress Katy Perry and other "singer songwriters" are the curse of new "music". I'm an old git as You can tell. Ahem! As I look wistfully back to my day of the punk, new wave, progressive, ska and electronic eras. Yeah there were some pretty crap bands then too. But now. It's all solo warblers. Rap artistes. And sound-a-like beat-combos using auto tuning. . Ha ha.

Ironically one of the true American innovators of their time (Devo) reappeared in the last few years bringing out an album (Something For Everybody) which was actually as good as of not better than their stuff of thirty years ago ... But that's very rare.

You had to 'be there' to know what music was before it all folded about 15 years ago and now YouTube has begun to resemble a museum and tribute to how it was and never will be again.

Yet. Not always a bad thing. During the eighties I took no notice of stuff like Gang Of Four, Magazine and even The Buzzcocks and would you believe...Level 42. But listening to them all again the sheer innovation, the melodies and the musicianship is just mind blowing.

Yeah. It canny be denied. I'm stuck in a time warp. But it looks like Ill be staying there without any apologies 'til something better comes along :)

And can I also take this opportunity to say "Bah, Humbug!" At this point also? Thanks,

decafjava

macrumors 603
Feb 7, 2011
Geneva
HUH?

An Old Git Writes ....
Glad you got the gist :) actress Katy Perry and other "singer songwriters" are the curse of new "music". I'm an old git as You can tell. Ahem! As I look wistfully back to my day of the punk, new wave, progressive, ska and electronic eras. Yeah there were some pretty crap bands then too. But now. It's all solo warblers. Rap artistes. And sound-a-like beat-combos using auto tuning. . Ha ha.

Ironically one of the true American innovators of their time (Devo) reappeared in the last few years bringing out an album (Something For Everybody) which was actually as good as of not better than their stuff of thirty years ago ... But that's very rare.

You had to 'be there' to know what music was before it all folded about 15 years ago and now YouTube has begun to resemble a museum and tribute to how it was and never will be again.

Yet. Not always a bad thing. During the eighties I took no notice of stuff like Gang Of Four, Magazine and even The Buzzcocks and would you believe...Level 42. But listening to them all again the sheer innovation, the melodies and the musicianship is just mind blowing.

Yeah. It canny be denied. I'm stuck in a time warp. But it looks like Ill be staying there without any apologies 'til something better comes along :)

And can I also take this opportunity to say "Bah, Humbug!" At this point also? Thanks,

Seems like you ignored the other post above. :rolleyes: You can in no way compare those groups to Katy Perry or Robin Thicke (as a Canadian I apologise for the latter *sigh*).

I'm a "git" too, and there is good music today-yea you have to search for it.

trife

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2012
I highly recommend watching the Polica set. On a whim I checked them out and 45 minutes later I was buying their debut album on iTunes.

And now I'm going to travel 200 miles roundtrip to see them live.

Thanks Apple.

mrxak

macrumors 68000
Look, they have a variety of music at the show. I think that's the point. Nobody's expected to like all of it. I'm sure there's Katy Perry fans who don't care about some of the music you all think is good.

Realistically, it's probably the big names like Katy Perry with her many many fans who however misguided you may think they are, are subsidizing the other lesser-known acts who may be more talented but otherwise might not bring in enough money from the EP or whatever to pay for the whole month-long event.

rembert

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2009
Amsterdam area, Netherlands
I highly recommend watching the Polica set. On a whim I checked them out and 45 minutes later I was buying their debut album on iTunes.

And now I'm going to travel 200 miles roundtrip to see them live.

Thanks Apple.

Second that. Polica was indeed very interesting. But how about the Elton John concert. No, I don't mean Elton John himself but 2Cellos at the start. They're amazing. Unfortunately they didn't have any videos released yet. I'd buy one immediately for my cello playing son.

For how long will the concert videos remain available on the iTunes festival app?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.