Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PracticalMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
Houston, TX
Woz is a great orator.
I am sure the story he tells was with lots of practice, but how he delivers is really entertaining to hear.

Thank God we have someone like him to recite the history, the details of many great events get lost in time, and Jobs was one for details. :)

MWPULSE

macrumors 6502a
Dec 27, 2008
London
I wonder if they knew exactly how far the tech they were developing and pushing forward would go. It's kinda incredible looking back at all these guys and how forward thinking they were.

Hewlett n Packard for instance. The guy who founded Intel. Woz. Jobs. Bill Gates. The guys at IBM. The guys at ARM. Twenty, thirty years ago they were all doin unthinkable things with the technology at their disposal. Sure, maybe now we have moved on to a different landscape in business terms, n computationally, but the ideas all came together from that very innovative period of time.

Like it or not, stuff like windows or indeed mac osx. That was where it all started, they were considered ground breaking by the masses out of that we have te current scenario that we are in. :)

:apple:

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
He was mostly a salesman.

Since Woz wasn't, he should be grateful that Jobs was. It was a symbiotic relationship. I doubt that either one would have amounted to much without the other. It's amazing how powerful serendipity can be...

Think of all the other opportunities that history could have missed... And all that could have been. IE: Eddie booting Sammy... Bad move. Simon meeting Garfunkel... Peanut Butter meeting Chocolate... Good moves. Well... :D

----------

Have you checked out Pirates of Silicon Valley?

There is also a documentary playing on hbo go that really shows the development of Intel.

PoSV was good... I did see the Intel museum, and it was interesting. I was in Costa Rico a few miles from their plant, and was impressed with the security...

But anyway... It makes me wonder where the 'next big idea' will come from... Have we reached the point where everything has been invented already? At some point, IMO, patents and copyrights will kill our society because everything will eventually end up being changes on existing items... Just a random thought...

It'll be like music. Who was the group a few years ago who got roasted because they were accused of ripping off a guitar riff from someone else. It was a damn scandal grande... If people 'own' things, and 'own' ideas and can prohibit anyone from using them, eventually we will run out of ideas. Well, except slaughtering the lawyers. THAT idea seems popular throughout history... :D

iGrip

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
But anyway... It makes me wonder where the 'next big idea' will come from... Have we reached the point where everything has been invented already?

"Everything that can be invented has been invented."

-- Attributed to Charles Holland Duell, commissioner of the United States Patent and Trademark Office in 1898 to 1901

TheGenerous

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2010
I'm an Austronaut
Wozniak is like Pele. They travel around, go to interviews, "write" books, and everything they have done until now is remembering something they did 20 years ago or longer.

I'm not saying is wrong, but I'd like to hear about Wozniak (or Pele) about something cool in the present time. Some new ideas, even if they are impossible, something fresh you know.

No more about living in the past. Please.

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
If this were to happen now, he would have been fired on the spot after just a few days into the job. It wouldn't even matter if he were correct and were able to do things a better way. Companies now don't give a crap about the constructive ideas and opinions of low-level employees, especially if it makes higher-level employees look bad.

Ahh, but the best part, for me, was when they say that after that Steve did wire wrap exclusively... HAH!!! :D He couldn't solder either! :eek::D

----------

"Everything that can be invented has been invented."

-- Attributed to Charles Holland Duell, commissioner of the United States Patent and Trademark Office in 1898 to 1901

Yeah, I know... :rolleyes: My point was that I imagine a group of guys that come up with a tablet operating system that uses a slide motif to unlock the device. They use icons, and allow for the moving of icons on the screen, after they jiggle. It uses a flexible screen making it totally different than the iPad.They are sued out of existence by Apple. BOOM, a great idea shot down. Granted, I'm stretching here, but I guess my beef is with the whole patent/copyright racketeering scheme as we have it now. Someone can actually patent the slide to unlock bit and stop a great idea. Some things should be marked as being 'too natural to protect' and shouldn't be patentable, or copyrightable either. Some things are like breathing. I'd love to see someone patent/copyright that... Lodsys might try...

/pointless_rant

Renzatic

Suspended
Yeah, I know... :rolleyes: My point was that I imagine a group of guys that come up with a tablet operating system that uses a slide motif to unlock the device. They use icons, and allow for the moving of icons on the screen, after they jiggle. It uses a flexible screen making it totally different than the iPad.They are sued out of existence by Apple. BOOM, a great idea shot down. Granted, I'm stretching here, but I guess my beef is with the whole patent/copyright racketeering scheme as we have it now. Someone can actually patent the slide to unlock bit and stop a great idea. Some things should be marked as being 'too natural to protect' and shouldn't be patentable, or copyrightable either. Some things are like breathing. I'd love to see someone patent/copyright that... Lodsys might try...

/pointless_rant

That's very much the truth. The software patent system as it is now curtails innovation more than protects it. If it existed in the 70's the way it does now, Apple would've been sued to oblivion sometime after the release of the Apple II. And if they did somehow manage to survive that, then they would've been crippled with licensing fees over the Lisa/Mac. Xerox would've had their nuts in a vice over the GUI.

Their only choice for anything approaching a sustainable business model would've been for the Steves to sell out to Xerox, HP, or IBM, and become one of their subsidiaries.

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
That's very much the truth. The software patent system as it is now curtails innovation more than protects it. If it existed in the 70's the way it does now, Apple would've been sued to oblivion sometime after the release of the Apple II. And if they did somehow manage to survive that, then they would've been crippled with licensing fees over the Lisa/Mac. Xerox would've had their nuts in a vice over the GUI.

Their only choice for anything approaching a sustainable business model would've been for the Steves to sell out to Xerox, HP, or IBM, and become one of their subsidiaries.

OMG! Imagine if Xerox PARC had ownership over all they invented there. OMG! Laser printers... Network cards... Possibly the mouse... The iconic GUI... Ethernet... On and on and on... All that, and you could ride your bike down the halls... Life WAS simpler back then... And apparently a whole lot more fun...

Shamelessly ripped off from Wikipedia: Xerox PARC has been the inventor and incubator of many elements of modern computing in the contemporary office work place:

Laser printers,
Computer-generated bitmap graphics
The Graphical user interface, featuring windows and icons, operated with a mouse
The WYSIWYG text editor
InterPress, a resolution-independent graphical page-description language and the precursor to PostScript
Ethernet as a local-area computer network
Fully formed object-oriented programming in the Smalltalk programming language and integrated development environment.
LCD displays.
CD ROM drives (Back then called Optical Disks)

They would OWN the computer industry pretty much and be larger than Apple and Microsoft (IF they existed at all) combined!

Last edited:

ShinySteelRobot

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2002
Upper Left Corner, USA
only once Jobs learned patience to complement his intensity is when things really took off

By most accounts Steve gradually learned patience at NeXT Computer after he left Apple. Future movies should include at least a segment about Steve's time at NeXT since Steve really matured a lot there.

IMHO, if there had been no NeXT Computer company -- and Steve's associated maturation there -- there would have been no post-1997 Apple renaissance.

G51989

macrumors 68030
Feb 25, 2012
NYC NY/Pittsburgh PA
What a refreshing and excellent article on MacRumors. Fascinating to read about the early days of personal computing.

Indeed, very interesting.

While Atari didn't last the course due to idiot management over the long term, in the early days, Atari was a very innovative company that brought some life changing products to the home to the mass market, " Hmm, I can buy a Game Console and change the game whenever I want? And buy as many as I want without changing the unit? " Atari was a very huge deal for a decently long time, shame their gone.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
Woz uses and likes Android devices so it's difficult to take him seriously anymore.

If you only trust and take people who use Apple fans seriously, you in for a really rude shock.

Woz is a very smart man, and has a passion for tech. Sad that you would judge him by the devices he uses.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.