Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CrunK3D

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 19, 2013
Germany
Hi,

I'm currently using a MBA 11" (2011) and I have some serious heat problems with CPU temperatures up to 95°C on a regular basis.
I'm afraid that over time these temperatures are going to kill my CPU.

Right now I'm planning to buy a new Macbook (either the MBA 13" or the upcoming MBPr 13") and just wanted to ask you guys if a MBPr could actually solve my problems with extreme CPU temperatures due to better cooling?
I'm just assuming that the MBPr has a better cooling solution because of Apples Advertisements but I really have no clue so maybe some of you could share their experiences?

Looking forward to your replies and thanks in advance! :)

Last edited:

stevebrown1950

macrumors newbie
Nov 24, 2010
MBPr heat vs MBP heat

Hi,

I'm currently using a MBA 11" (2012) and I have some serious heat problems with CPU temperatures up to 95°C on a regular basis.

Right now I'm planning to buy a new Macbook (either the MBA 13" or the upcoming MBPr 13") and just wanted to ask you guys if a MBPr could actually solve my problems with extreme CPU temperatures due to better cooling?
I'm just assuming that the MBPr has a better cooling solution because of Apples Advertisements but I really have no clue so maybe some of you could share their experiences?

Every time I am in Best Buy i look at the Mac laptops. The MBPr is always much hotter than the MBP. I have always been concerned about this.

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
Hi,

I'm currently using a MBA 11" (2012) and I have some serious heat problems with CPU temperatures up to 95°C on a regular basis.

Nothing is going to happen to your CPU, thats listed as normal operating temperatures. CPU's have failsafes that shut themselves off if they get to hot.

Xgm541

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2011
Your macbook is meant to be hot. As the above poster said, nothing will happen to it. Additionally, apple's use of casing material will make the macbook feel warm as it conducts heat better than plastic for example.

CrunK3D

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 19, 2013
Germany
First of all thanks for the replies.

It's good to know that these temperatures are not so very uncommon, but the guy at the Apple Store told me that in the long run these temperatures would definitely decrease the lifetime of the CPU.
Besides it's really annoying that at these high temperatures the fans are blowing extremely loud.

So my question would still be if you guys could give me some advice one whether the MBPr has a better working cooling solution than the MBA (or at least one that is not as loud)?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.