Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

a104375

macrumors 6502
Oct 8, 2007
Matamoras, PA
From this article I've learned is that AT&T's contracts forbid class action lawsuits. I'm curious if Sprint/Verizon have the same language in their contracts.

MJedi

macrumors 6502a
Dec 16, 2010
I got an iPad 3G at launch and activated the unlimited plan on it. It sucks that I have to keep paying the monthly fee to keep it, otherwise I loose it forever. The original idea for the iPad 3G plan was that you could turn it on and off anytime depending on if you needed it that month. This settlement doesn't fix this and is merely a slap on the wrist for AT&T. A better settlement would have been for us who had the unlimited plan to be able to turn the service on and off at will without loosing it.

praetorian909

macrumors 6502
Aug 4, 2004
I hope AT&T pays out $39 and Apple pays out the $1. I have to think this is pretty much all AT&T's doing.

----------

I got an iPad 3G at launch and activated the unlimited plan on it. It sucks that I have to keep paying the monthly fee to keep it, otherwise I loose it forever. The original idea for the iPad 3G plan was that you could turn it on and off anytime depending on if you needed it that month. This settlement doesn't fix this and is merely a slap on the wrist for AT&T. A better settlement would have been for us who had the unlimited plan to be able to turn the service on and off at will without loosing it.

I agree completely--other countries have had this for a long time (like Asia for example). Prepaid SIMs with unlimited data for a very reasonable price, and without an activation fee. Why can't we have the same?

Though I thought I maybe read that people had been able to deactivate and re-activate. But my understanding was that after 3 months or so the SIM gets permanently deactivated (like prepaid phones) and you have to get a new SIM. It's all very confusing...

aristotle

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2007
Canada
Sorry, but this is why you guys cannot have decent healthcare. It is because of the culture of lawsuits. Blame the lawyers and your stupid laws that allow people to sue for stupid things like this.

rman726

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2007
I got a first gen iPad with unlimited data. I kept it for like 7 or 8 months because I didn't want to lose it. I finally decided that it was stupid to keep paying for it when I was barely using it, let alone needing what a capped plan would be.

So really AT&T made out in the long run... even if I eventually get my $40...

rworne

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
Los Angeles
Why? You still have your unlimited

Ah yes, but what if I want to use it for the 3 months out of the year when I travel?

I pre-ordered the original iPad 3G. I got it and activated it before they killed the unlimited service - which was ended approximately 4 weeks after the launch of the iPad. Many people who wanted in on the deal were shut out while still waiting for their iPads to be delivered.

So I am grandfathered in. That means I've been paying $29.99/mo ever since the iPad came out whether I need it or not. I still have the unlimited service on it too. But since I am a current customer, I get nothing because of the "no class action" clause in their updated TOS and a sh*tbrained SCOTUS decision.

The writing is on the wall, and I'll likely unload it when the next gen models come out and I'll add it to my Verizon plan.

junker

macrumors 6502
Sorry if this question is somewhat off topic, but I purchased an ipad2 right after it came out and would occasionally buy a plan for a month (when ever I'd go on a trip) once or twice a year. But recently, I traveled and tried to do it again but wasn't able to - and it seemed that I needed to sign up for a longer more expensive plan. (Maybe a 2 year data plan?)

Is this experience related to this lawsuit in any way?

I don't really care about the money, but I would like the ability to buy cellular data for a 30$ monthly to return... Or am I mistaken and it's still available?

Macist

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2009
I use 3 Network here in the UK, which offers 'unlimited' data. It's more or less what it says on the tin, but they use heavy data shaping so my wife's 3G connection, with another provider, nearly always feels much, much faster.

I think it's a 1GB limit but she's only ever received a warning that she's about to breach that once in several years, even when she's done quite a bit of tethering.

In the internet market there's a lot of confused consumers due to how packages are marketed. I use Virgin Media for home broadband and their forums are full of people raging that their 100MB is only 80, or 50 or 40 at peak times. I just shrug as I never saw my previous 78mb BT Infinity 'fibre' connection, where distance to the exchange is a big factor, rarely hit the 40s at the very best of times - at least it was better than the 18MB i'd occasionally hit on a 24MB ASDL2 connection.

Nicksd84

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Huh? Why isn't AT&T being punished for throttling "unlimited data plans".

For that matter, by the definition of the word unlimited, they should not be allowed to prevent tethering with an unlimited data plan either.

Unfortunately if you read your terms of service, they explicitly wrote in throttling policies.

dvdlovr24

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2008
Ah yes, but what if I want to use it for the 3 months out of the year when I travel?

I pre-ordered the original iPad 3G. I got it and activated it before they killed the unlimited service - which was ended approximately 4 weeks after the launch of the iPad. Many people who wanted in on the deal were shut out while still waiting for their iPads to be delivered.

So I am grandfathered in. That means I've been paying $29.99/mo ever since the iPad came out whether I need it or not. I still have the unlimited service on it too. But since I am a current customer, I get nothing because of the "no class action" clause in their updated TOS and a sh*tbrained SCOTUS decision.

The writing is on the wall, and I'll likely unload it when the next gen models come out and I'll add it to my Verizon plan.

Do what I did with my unlimited data AT&T sim card. Sell it on eBay. People are paying crazy amounts of money for them.

Detrius

macrumors 68000
Sep 10, 2008
Apex, NC
That's true. However from what little I understand about US carriers, I think AT&T was the only carrier on iOS devices for a long time. Therefore if people wanted an iPhone they didn't really have a choice to go to a different carrier. It stifled consumer choice and they couldn't get unlimited data even if they wanted to?

However I'd appreciate any insight on this because I'm more than happy to admit I don't really know much about it :eek:

Verizon started offering the iPhone 4 halfway through its cycle, and this was the first non-AT&T iOS device. This was about two and a half years ago. If you don't remember this, you must either be very young or very new to the Apple ecosystem. Either way, welcome to the world.

mdelvecchio

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2010
These people in the lawsuit seem to be too stupid to reproduce. Does that 40 dollars come with a free sterilization?
:rolleyes:

so stupid that the judge agreed with them? he's stupid too, right? everybody's stupid who has different opinions than you, right?

4jasontv

Suspended
Jul 31, 2011
Verizon started offering the iPhone 4 halfway through its cycle, and this was the first non-AT&T iOS device. This was about two and a half years ago. If you don't remember this, you must either be very young or very new to the Apple ecosystem. Either way, welcome to the world.

To clarify, halfway through the iPhone 4 cycle. That was 2011, and AT&T had the iPhone exclusively since 2007.

calaverasgrande

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2010
Brooklyn, New York.
About time. But why is Apple liable? They don't set pricing, and jobs seemed to want unlimited data for it (isn't that the point?)
because Apple made that data plan happen. Then used it as a selling point.
It was mentioned by Jobs in one of the keynotes. And they used it in marketing materials. Try finding such a cheap plan before that ipad came out. (heck try finding unlimited anywhere)

xxBURT0Nxx

macrumors 68020
Jul 9, 2009
I wan't to know why they are still able to advertise the iPad as a "month to month" device where I can turn data off if I don't need it, and turn it on when I do; but I am charged an activation fee each time.

Verizon charges me $10 a month to add my iPad to the data plan, but if I turn it off and then want to turn it back on, I will be charged a $36 activation fee. So in reality I would have to turn the data off on my iPad for at LEAST 4 months to save any money at all. If I turned it off for 2 months, I would lose money in the process.

Apple should not be allowed to advertise these devices as month to month with no contract when you are tied down by an activation fee every time you want to turn the data back on for the device.

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011

Or, you know, I could be in the UK and have no knowledge of US carriers. There are other countries than the US. Welcome to the world. :rolleyes:

aristotle

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2007
Canada
so stupid that the judge agreed with them? he's stupid too, right? everybody's stupid who has different opinions than you, right?
Were the iPads locked to a contract? No. Given that they were not locked to a contract or subsidized in any way, AT&T was under no obligation to continue unlimited data in perpetuity.

Are judges requires to pass a competency exam? If not, then we have no idea how smart that judge is. Does being a judge make them an expert on data plans? Was the judge not aware that the iPad was offered on a month to month plan?

MacDarcy

macrumors 65816
Jul 21, 2011
I got the unlimited ATT data plan on my original iPad. At first I didn't use it much...but I kept it active and was grandfathered in once they ended it. Now I transferred the unlimited plan to my ipad mini and use it all the time. So much so that I got rid of my smartphone plan. I use my ipad mini to make free calls and surf the web. Instead of paying $100 or more for a smartphone plan...I do it all for $29 bucks. :)

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN

Were the iPads locked to a contract? No. Given that they were not locked to a contract or subsidized in any way, AT&T was under no obligation to continue unlimited data in perpetuity.

Are judges requires to pass a competency exam? If not, then we have no idea how smart that judge is. Does being a judge make them an expert on data plans? Was the judge not aware that the iPad was offered on a month to month plan?
See now, I thought you meant stupid because they had gone with ATT.

My bad.

MacDav

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2004
Once agan the parasitic lawyers make millions and you get $40. Class-Action is the way lawyers (Vampires) have a feeding frenzy off the host economy. They do it in the name of helping people, but that is only a smoke screen for their blood sucking ways. :cool:

lianlua

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2008
Once agan the parasitic lawyers make millions and you get $40. Class-Action is the way lawyers (Vampires) have a feeding frenzy off the host economy. They do it in the name of helping people, but that is only a smoke screen for their blood sucking ways. :cool:
That's idiotic. The purpose of a class action is not to return money to customers. You're not entitled to anything at all in a class action because you're not bearing any risk. You're not contributing to the costs, you're not doing any work on behalf of the class, and you're not even taking any steps to solve the problem.

Getting any money back directly is merely an incidental bonus of a cash settlement. The point of a class action is to force a corporation to change a tactic or impose a monetary cost for "bad" behavior. That might be a repair or replacement, a change in policy, or even just a promise not to do it again. When it's a monetary fine, it comes out of their profits, and it might be returned to customers in cash, in credit, or donated to a charity.

The lawyers spent millions of dollars to make that happen, and only get reimbursed when they win or settle. The money they make is separate from the settlement or judgment amount, and the profitable ones pay for the ones that they take and lose. If the company agrees to pay $5 million in costs and $40 million to the class and there are one million customers, then everyone gets $40. That means each person gets $5 less than they might have (assuming they would get anything at all without the lawyers intervening). Big deal. Giving up $5 of your $45 in exchange for zero risk and zero effort is more than a fair trade when the alternative is one million people each spending $500+ to get a smaller sum back.

If you don't like the arrangement, you're welcome to start your own class action and make your own deal with the lawyers as class representative. But if you're just going to sit around and wait for a check in the mail without lifting a finger, then you've got no right to complain. Opt out of the class and pursue your own solution.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.