Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tom vilsack

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 20, 2010
ladner cdn
-took apart the old ibook G3 i got last week...plan on replacing harddrive (stock is 10 gig 4200,rpm)
-wasn't to bad a take apart...about 30 min (luckily i had right tools...and custom spudger (mcdonalds plastic fork) ;-)
-best i can tell i will have to partition new harddrive so boot partition is under 128gb limit (read somewhere...can anyone confirm?)
-temped to put in a ide ssd (as could always use for other ppc ibooks/powerbooks) I'm sure to have in future.
-used ifixit site,and placed screws in numbers plastic bags ect
http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/iBook-G3-12-Inch-Hard-Drive-Replacement/131/1#.T-F2-JFti2x

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

charlieegan3

macrumors 68020
Feb 16, 2012
U.K
Loving the 'custom spudger':D

i was put off a similar operation myself because i didn't have such a thing, now i know where to find one!

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Did you really take apart a computer and sit pretty much every little piece on the carpet?! :eek:

Otherwise nice one. Apple made it really hard to take apart the G3s. I have a clamshell that'd love a new hard drive.

tom vilsack

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 20, 2010
ladner cdn

Davy.Shalom

macrumors 6502
Dec 23, 2008
Did you really take apart a computer and sit pretty much every little piece on the carpet?! :eek:

Otherwise nice one. Apple made it really hard to take apart the G3s. I have a clamshell that'd love a new hard drive.

Why would you want to spend extra money upgrading the G3? Unless it's just for a fun project...

tom vilsack

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 20, 2010
ladner cdn
Why would you want to spend extra money upgrading the G3? Unless it's just for a fun project...

-love the look of the ibook G3's (silver face plate,clear white keyboard)
-rather like mac os (I,m using version 9.2.2)
-like using classilla web browser for mac os
-the default 10 gig drive is only 4,200 rpm,1mb buffer,transfer rate of 67mbps...even if i just pickup a standard ide drive i get 5,400 rpm,8mb buffer,transfer rate 421mbps
-bought this ibook for only $40...is in great cond,even has newish battery (3+ hrs)...12",relatively lite,make's for a good portable laptop,also has a dvd so makes for great portable dvd player...
-extra space will allow me to run mac os 9.2.2,osx panther,osx tiger.

ppcg4mac

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2012
Northwest Kansas
To my knowledge (im away from Mactracker at the moment) you would have to partition it, because, as you said, it has a max capacity of 128GB per partition.

tom vilsack

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 20, 2010
ladner cdn
update:

-ended up putting ibook back together for about a week
-went against ssd (price and read reports of lag with ide ones)
-yesterday found a 60 gig 5400rpm ide drive on craigs for right price
-took ibook apart again,replaced drive,back together (after doing twice,I'm getting kinda good at this...1.5 hrs total turnaround),reinstalled tiger...update update update (java,java,java)

-runs Much better with this drive...the old stock one was making clicking sounds ect...this new one is nice and quiet and 5400 speed is helpful
-now is it a internet speed demon,no (the 500MHz kills that) but it is now a good portable laptop for simple internet,watching dvd ect...

picture.php

picture.php

crammedberry

macrumors regular
I have the kingspec, a 32gb version on my iBook. So far I haven't really noticed any lags, and the lack of any moving parts is a plus for me. I recently had two mechanical drives die on me at the same time which made me lose invaluable amounts of data. Oh well, right? **** happens. Anyway, I keep the iBook around for sentimental value I guess... haha. I'm a sucker like that. It was my first computer when I was a kid so I sort of grew up with it. I still have it and it's still performing quite well, as well as you may expect from a computer this old with an unsupported OS (10.4 Tiger in my case). I have actually been thinking of installing Debian (linux) on it... the march towards HTML 5 has been a nice thing for me since I no longer have much use for flash, which is essentially the only reason I still kept OS 10 on it. I have some old PPC only programs I still run, but I have an iMac G4 for that so I may mess around with my old iBook a little once again.

demio

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2013
Moscow
Hi guys!
I have an SSD Transcend 64Gb installed into my iBook G3 12' 800MHz... So i have some trouble with this one... System won't boot from this ssd or from install cd... Gear is spinning, so... and that's it.

Original hard drive was with "disk 0" jumper setting (without any jumper), and ssd was "disk 0" too with jumper by default. If i remove this jumper, iBook searching disks very slow or not displayed any disk.

Is it problem in jumper setting? Can i set this thing into "cable select" mode?
Thanks for help!

Last edited:

g4manimac

macrumors 6502
Jan 22, 2013
Arkansas
-love the look of the ibook G3's (silver face plate,clear white keyboard)
-rather like mac os (I,m using version 9.2.2)
-like using classilla web browser for mac os
-the default 10 gig drive is only 4,200 rpm,1mb buffer,transfer rate of 67mbps...even if i just pickup a standard ide drive i get 5,400 rpm,8mb buffer,transfer rate 421mbps
-bought this ibook for only $40...is in great cond,even has newish battery (3+ hrs)...12",relatively lite,make's for a good portable laptop,also has a dvd so makes for great portable dvd player...
-extra space will allow me to run mac os 9.2.2,osx panther,osx tiger.

Like u even need to explain but I do gotta say that I have an old ibook that I wont let go of for just about every single reason that you listed!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.