Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
Gabe basically already said this, somewhere (can't remember where, sorry). They aren't interested in making hardware themselves, but rather a spec that developers have to follow in order to be SteamOS approved. A base model would just be for streaming (like the Shield) with more expensive better/best models that can play Linux games natively.

We'll probably find out more tomorrow...

Kinda like the company, 3DO? :eek:

mamon343

macrumors member
Feb 12, 2010
North America
So it's a Linux Desktop OS I can install in my PC, like Ubuntu?

If it gets enough support from the companies / developers this might be really big. I see a lot of gamers switching to this.

Dorje Sylas

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2011
What impact does this have on gaming major PC titles? Do you need a Ubuntu version of a game?

You would need a Linux/SteamOS version of it to run natively. Otherwise you have to stream it from a Windows or Mac PC.

Hypnotically if you have an Ubuntu version already it 'should' run under SteamOS unless there are extensions that are missing from SteamOS that Ubuntu has... alhtough if SteamOS is 'open' I can see missing parts getting added quickly.

What will be interesting is to see what kind of security the SteamOS will have. Given how Steam itself works Valve is already fairly good with getting the user off the admin and root levels of their systems.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
You would need a Linux/SteamOS version of it to run natively. Otherwise you have to stream it from a Windows or Mac PC.

Hypnotically if you have an Ubuntu version already it 'should' run under SteamOS unless there are extensions that are missing from SteamOS that Ubuntu has... alhtough if SteamOS is 'open' I can see missing parts getting added quickly.

What will be interesting is to see what kind of security the SteamOS will have. Given how Steam itself works Valve is already fairly good with getting the user off the admin and root levels of their systems.

I participate in Steam games on occasion, but view the service as onerous. I'd dump it in a heartbeat if something as viable and more open came along.

malman89

macrumors 68000
May 29, 2011
Michigan
Kind of disappointed to not have any sort of physical release. They've been working on it long enough, you'd figure they would have something more to show for it.

Doesn't quash my long term hope for it to succeed, but the event was really a non-event. Could've just mentioned it on Monday.

Renzatic

Suspended
Kind of disappointed to not have any sort of physical release. They've been working on it long enough, you'd figure they would have something more to show for it.

Doesn't quash my long term hope for it to succeed, but the event was really a non-event. Could've just mentioned it on Monday.

Eh, they're talking about it at least. It would've been cool to see some hardware, but just news that they're doing it is interesting enough.

It was interesting enough for me to sign up for the Steambox hardware beta, which, when you really think about it, they should've called Pistons. I mean valve, source, steam...pistons. They kinda missed an opportunity if you ask me.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
I've signed up to the steambox beta. Worth a try I guess. I'd love to mess around with one.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
Looks like the third announcement is a controller. I guess it was either going to be this or EP3 and I doubt Valve want to freeze hell over just yet. :p

The controller does look really interesting. Will be great if it is as good as it claims.

malman89

macrumors 68000
May 29, 2011
Michigan
What. The. F#$%? Seriously?

Probably the best comment I've seen so far:

"What's the worst thing on a gaming notebook? The trackpad. What is Steam bringing to PC gamers? Two trackpads."

Still way too much concept and not enough substance to take seriously. I would be incredibly leery about dropping money on a Steambox based on that controller.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
What. The. F#$%? Seriously?

Probably the best comment I've seen so far:

"What's the worst thing on a gaming notebook? The trackpad. What is Steam bringing to PC gamers? Two trackpads."

It's not a normal trackpad. It has haptic feedback, meaning if it works right, it should feel as though you are pressing real buttons.

I'm not going to dismiss it until I try it, though I highly doubt it will come close to a mouse in terms of accuracy.

Renzatic

Suspended
Here's something interesting. Super Meat Boy developer Tommy Refenes spends some time with the new Steam controller.

For those of you who haven't played Super Meat Boy before, it's one of those games that requires absolute split second timing, hair trigger reflexes, and complete mastery over the controller to do well in. If you can play SMB with it without any problems, then it's good for just about any console style game out there.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
Looks like the third announcement is a controller. I guess it was either going to be this or EP3 and I doubt Valve want to freeze hell over just yet. :p

The controller does look really interesting. Will be great if it is as good as it claims.

Nice to see a company innovate in today's computer gaming world.

Would be cool to see Wii/PS/XB compatible versions of this... :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.