Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mallbritton

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 26, 2006
Hello, everyone.

I'm currently working in Eastern Europe and living with a host family. The father just came back from a trip abroad and brought a used iPhone 5. I know nothing of the history of the device and have no way to find out since it was purchased in another country. But it is unlocked and jailbroken. I don't know if it was jailbroken to unlock it or just to customize it, though. All I do know is the language was set to Russian and all the native iOS apps behave very strangely (at least to me). For example Maps opens to a web browser. I don't have any experience with jailbroken iPhones so what I'd like to know is what might be all the possible consequences of restoring this device to "factory." I know it could possibly re-lock the device (if it was previously locked) which I certainly don't want to do. But I'd like to get all the native apps to work like they are supposed to for the family and the only way I know to do that is to restore the iPhone to "factory."Or is there another way to find out if it is carrier unlocked? We've put a SIM in it and it does pickup the network and works for calls.

Best regards,
Michael

rdy0329

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2012
Hello, everyone.

I'm currently working in Eastern Europe and living with a host family. The father just came back from a trip abroad and brought a used iPhone 5. I know nothing of the history of the device and have no way to find out since it was purchased in another country. But it is unlocked and jailbroken. I don't know if it was jailbroken to unlock it or just to customize it, though. All I do know is the language was set to Russian and all the native iOS apps behave very strangely (at least to me). For example Maps opens to a web browser. I don't have any experience with jailbroken iPhones so what I'd like to know is what might be all the possible consequences of restoring this device to "factory." I know it could possibly re-lock the device (if it was previously locked) which I certainly don't want to do. But I'd like to get all the native apps to work like they are supposed to for the family and the only way I know to do that is to restore the iPhone to "factory."Or is there another way to find out if it is carrier unlocked? We've put a SIM in it and it does pickup the network and works for calls.

Best regards,
Michael

iPhone 5 did not have any jailbreak software unlock so I'm pretty sure it is unlocked. when in doubt you can check the status of the phone at: http://iphoneimei.info/ and see if it is unlocked.

If it is do this step by step:

1. log out/delete icloud/imessage/facetime/appstore accounts, log in yours/the host father's account.
2. Restore to iOS 7.0.2 and then set it up all over
3. enjoy your questionably sourced iPhone 5.

mallbritton

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 26, 2006
I did not know about that web site, thanks. It works perfectly on my iPhone which is factory unlocked. I did not think there was a jailbreak for the iPhone 5 but wasn't sure.

Thanks very much for the information.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I did not know about that web site, thanks. It works perfectly on my iPhone which is factory unlocked. I did not think there was a jailbreak for the iPhone 5 but wasn't sure.

Thanks very much for the information.
Just to be clear, I think what the other poster meant is that there was no software unlock available through a jailbreak for the iPhone 5.

There is currently and has been a jailbreak for iOS 6.0 to 6.1.2 on the iPhone 5 (and other devices). It's been available since February 2013.

My own iPhone 5 has been jailbroken on iOS 6.1 since February.

www.evasi0n.com

mallbritton

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 26, 2006
Just to be clear, I think what the other poster meant is that there was no software unlock available through a jailbreak for the iPhone 5.
Ah, that makes sense. As I mentioned I don't have any experience with jailbreaking. Thanks!

mallbritton

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 26, 2006
Now this is strange. I just had a chance to input the IMEI into the website mentioned above and it comes back "invalid IMEI." I don't think an iMEI can be faked, can it? Curiouser and curiouser.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.