Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HIMAN1998

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 24, 2013
Richmond, VA
Has anyone used Carbon Copy Cloner to clone their internal HDD to a new one? If so, how long did it take you and was I doing it right by just selecting my internal as the source and the new one as target? Will it clone alright, and will I still have all my apps in working order?

madmacfan

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2012
London, United Kingdom
Has anyone used Carbon Copy Cloner to clone their internal HDD to a new one? If so, how long did it take you and was I doing it right by just selecting my internal as the source and the new one as target? Will it clone alright, and will I still have all my apps in working order?

Yes I've used Carbon Copy Cloner (CCC) quite a few times in the last couple of years and on average it took around an hour and a half, but the time taken depends on the size of the drive to be copied and can vary. In answer to your last 2 questions, Yes you were doing it right by selecting the internal drive as the source and the new one as the target. And yes your apps will be unaffected just as they were before you started copying from the internal disk.

HIMAN1998

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 24, 2013
Richmond, VA
OK, thanks. It's been going on for about an hour and a half now, and it's about 3/4 the way done. It's about 100GB to copy to it. I'm using a USB to SATA adapter, since I don't have FireWire on this MacBook.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.