Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BarackOwnbama

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 23, 2009
Hi,

Apparently, there are two ways to convert disk images in CDR format to ISO format:

1. Rename diskimage.cdr to diskimage.iso

Or

2. hdiutil makehybrid -iso -joliet -o diskimage.iso diskimage.cdr

The first method is really quick while the second method takes quite a long time. Do the two methods yield the same ISO file?

In particular, I would like to convert a bootable CDR disk image to an ISO disk image.

Thanks! :)

lannister80

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2009
Chicagoland
open terminal and do an md5 check to see:

commands are simply:

md5 /whatever/path/to/file1.iso

and

md5 /whatever/path/to/file2.iso

Should pump out a string of characters. If they match, then the files are identical.

TopRowGuyw/Feet

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2008
I Tested this Out

I tried both methods and then did the md5 check and the numbers are in fact different. Just thought people would like to know.

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
But if one file is compressed and the other isn't, the hash wouldn't match...

The truth is in the end. Do both result in a workable image? Can you use them? Are they usable?

rikscha

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2010
London
does that work the other way around as well? i tried renaming the file but that didnt work.

I have some dvds in iso format and need to import these to imovie.
I know that I had some dvds in cdr format and that these could be easily imported into imovie by simply clicking the "import from camera" button. That unfortunately doesnt work with mounted iso files.

Can someone give me the terminal command for converting iso to cdr? Im not that good with terminal.

Perhaps you even know a better way how to import dvd iso files to imovie?

thanks.

edit: I found this website: http://dustinriley.net/2010/05/24/importing-a-dvd-iso-in-imovie-09-is-too-easy/ where it says that you could import the mounted iso by using the 'import camera archive' button but I always get the message that my selected folder is not a camera archive.

Im using imovie '11 instead of '09 Could that be the reason? thanks

edit2: isos were produced under windows.

Last edited:

sfinktah

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2010
Hi,

Apparently, there are two ways to convert disk images in CDR format to ISO format:

Or

The first method is really quick while the second method takes quite a long time. Do the two methods yield the same ISO file?

In particular, I would like to convert a bootable CDR disk image to an ISO disk image.

Code:
mbp:Downloads mini$ hdiutil makehybrid -iso -joliet -o WIN764OEM.iso WIN764OEM.cdr 
mbp:Downloads mini$ file WIN764OEM.*
WIN764OEM.cdr: ISO 9660 CD-ROM filesystem data 'ARMPXOEM_EN                    ' (bootable)
WIN764OEM.iso: ISO 9660 CD-ROM filesystem data 'ARMPXOEM_EN'

hdiutil makehybrid actually converts the image to a "hybrid" (can be read by multiple operating system) format... specifying the -iso option did make you an iso... but i think .cdr is already an ISO 9660 format file.

An interesting test, is to take the .cdr file we started with, change the extension to .iso, and see if hdiutil generates the same output as it did for the .cdr extension.

Turns out it doesn't. And at this point I shake my head and give up. I'd probably just rename .cdr to .iso and hope for the best. It's not that I think that's the "more correct" answer, it's just that if it's wrong, you'll find out quicker.

Code:
cp WIN764OEM.cdr diskimage_cdr.iso

hdiutil makehybrid -iso -joliet -o diskimage_test.iso diskimage_cdr.iso && md5 diskimage* WIN764OEM.*
Creating hybrid image...
.......................................................................................................................................................................................

MD5 (diskimage.iso) = b9954e47b69a0b7c06a5a705c73a5cb8
MD5 (diskimage_cdr.iso) = 92c3592de69383330b8e47f10144fab5
MD5 (diskimage_test.iso) = ba23865cfd8c91977ed40988d4d3a17e
MD5 (WIN764OEM.cdr) = 92c3592de69383330b8e47f10144fab5
MD5 (WIN764OEM.iso) = b78a5dadea63385ac46378093e276bbb
Code:
mbp:Downloads mini$ cp WIN764OEM.iso diskimage.cdr
mbp:Downloads mini$ hdiutil makehybrid -iso -joliet -o diskimage.iso diskimage.cdr
Creating hybrid image...
....................................................................................................................................................................................

mbp:Downloads mini$

JoesMorgue

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2011
Hi,

Or

Is there a way to put an icon on the desktop [or dock] that will let you drag a .cdr to it, and it will drop the .iso on your desktop? [Using the make hybrid method]

jayrodathome

macrumors newbie
Feb 7, 2011
Renaming to ISO worked perfect for me. In my case I had a .cdr version of windows 7 that I made with disk utility. I needed an ISO to use for bootcamp install.

I simply renamed it after reading the OP and was able to copy the files and install just fine. Thanks!

TC400

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2010
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Renaming to ISO worked perfect for me. In my case I had a .cdr version of windows 7 that I made with disk utility. I needed an ISO to use for bootcamp install.

I simply renamed it after reading the OP and was able to copy the files and install just fine. Thanks!

That's what im doing right now... lets hope it works .

yungplayz

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2013
There is no apparent difference if you keep using this image on Apple devices. But on IBM PCs an .iso created by simple renaming the *.cdr to *.iso is unusable, unreadable and unmountable.
If you try to mount it, mounting software will crash. I also have an external hard drive case that can imitate a DVD-ROM with a disk in it. It shows the image from its HDD's \_ISO\ folder as a disk inserted. When I select an *.iso image created by renaming a *.cdr and then attach it to the PC, nothing happens. When I then attach it to the Mac, it says disk is unreadable.

CONCLUSION: DO NOT convert *.cdr to *.iso by renaming the file. Else-ways the file will become unusable for any non-Apple device.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.