Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kovacm

macrumors member
Oct 3, 2009
But many times I pause during typing to think/remember what I want to type in, and Safari just acts smart and press enter for me. Plus this feature is so inconsistent (only work at random times) I'd rather live without it.

I absolutely agree with you!

It is so annoying that I thinking to switch to another browser. I hate it. This reminds me to Windows... decay after S. Jobs already begin.

there is no more "one man to rule them all" ...!

I'm glad I wasn't imagining it.
I have same feeling!

kovacm

macrumors member
Oct 3, 2009
Hi I think I just worked out how to temporarily fix this unexpected behaviour. Go into Safari preferences and under Privacy, tick 'Prevent search engine from providing suggestions' then untick - or just leave ticked. I'm sure this is a bug in Safari 6.0.2.

I try this and it works now!!! :) :) (no more "auto-hitting" enter!)

zin

macrumors 6502
May 5, 2010
United Kingdom
Just found this thread.

I suffer from this, too. At first I thought I was doing something unknowingly but I'm glad it's not just a part of my imagination.

SoldOnApple

macrumors 65816
Jul 20, 2011
Was a solution ever found for this? It's driving me insane and has been for a long time now.

l008com

macrumors regular
Jan 20, 2004
I uploaded to 10.8.3 tonight which included Safari 6.0.3
Just had this bug again after updating.

WTF Apple?
Give us the separate address and search bars back until you fix this bug.

EssentialParado

macrumors 65816
Feb 17, 2005
I uploaded to 10.8.3 tonight which included Safari 6.0.3
Just had this bug again after updating.

WTF Apple?
Give us the separate address and search bars back until you fix this bug.

Seriously? This was the single reason I was going to update...

jlnr

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2010
Same problem, I've filed this as rdar://12651123 in Nov 2012.

It is incredibly hard to reproduce on purpose.

Fietsbel

macrumors member
Aug 8, 2012
I have the same annoying problem, I thought I touched the trackpad by accident. But it occurs random, not with one 1 specific website

e!ia

macrumors newbie
Apr 16, 2013
Check the contents of /Library/InputManagers/

Check the contents of /Library/InputManagers/

I just deleted the GearsEnabler plugin from google which has been installed during 2008 (!)

Last edited:

Oli3000

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2009
I have this problem regularly on my MBA, but not my iMac running identical preferences and 10.8.3!

Really frustrating when you start searching for something at it searches for only half the word... GRRRR! Again, i'm not a slow typer, typically when it does it it auto-searches after about 1 second of typing.

pwhty

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2010
I've been having this issue for about an year now. While I was sure I'm not doing something unconsciously, I never took the time to search for this. Now I did and I'm disappointed to see there's still no solution.

jg321

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2012
UK
Same problem[...]

It is incredibly hard to reproduce on purpose.

This. It's been happening to me for a while, but not sure on the exact circumstances needed to reproduce. Haven't noticed it for a while actually!

ManuCH

macrumors 65816
May 7, 2009
Switzerland
I've been having this very same issues for months. Has anyone ever found a solution?

Currently on OS X 10.8.5 with Safari 6.0.5. I don't have any Input Managers (I don't even have the directory). It's driving me crazy and it just happens every now and then.

jlnr

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2010
I've been having this very same issues for months. Has anyone ever found a solution?

Yes :) Sign up for Apple's free Safari developer program and download the preview build of Safari 6.1. The current build is much more stable than the public Safari for me, and it does not have this bug.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
If you want to prevent Safari from "auto-completing" as you type in the URL/search bar, do this:

Click in the search bar to select it.

Type a space character BEFORE YOU TYPE ANYTHING ELSE. You want a space character to be the first character entered.

Now type in whatever you wish.
This will "suspend" Safari's attempts to auto-complete or auto-suggest.

Safari will still display a list of "suggestions" _under_ the entry bar, but it will not insert text INTO the bar as you try to type (which I find very frustrating).

Last edited:

Lazlow

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2007
Happens to me too. I'll press  + L, start typing, and then a few characters in, Safari will just automatically press "enter" for me. Been happening for many months, but I just now decided to Google it and realized others have the same issue!

BrEacK

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2009
Still happening on Mac Book Air 13" with 10.9 and Safari 7.0

Happening on a Hackintosh 10.8.5 with Safari 6.x, too.

Anyone got a solution ?

Razvan

iEdd

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2005
I sometimes wonder if Apple (and other companies) uses its own products.

EssentialParado

macrumors 65816
Feb 17, 2005
Still around in Mavericks… I mean really Apple??

I am surprised not more people complain about this though… does not everybody have the bug or does everyone else like the "feature" ?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.