Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

apple_logo.jpg
As it is has done in past years, Apple is once again giving its corporate employees the entire week of Thanksgiving week off with pay, offering additional vacation days of Monday, November 25 through Wednesday, November 27 beyond the typical Thursday-Friday holiday period.

Retail and customer support employees will not have the week off as those divisions will need to continue operating, but they will be able to take their extra days off at staggered times. International teams will also be able to take their extra time off at times more convenient for their schedules.

The extra vacation days were announced in an email to employees from Apple CEO Tim Cook, as shared by 9to5Mac. The email praises employees for their work over the past year, from the launches of the new iPhones and iOS 7 to the unveiling of upcoming Mac hardware and software and more. Cook also highlights the company's "contribution to the society", including charitable, human rights, and environmental efforts.
Team-

It's been an exciting summer. For the first time, we've launched two new iPhone product lines. iOS 7 was created from a deep collaboration between our design and engineering teams, bringing to our customers a stunning new user interface and amazing new features. We unveiled OS X Mavericks and the most powerful Mac ever. The App Store celebrated a new milestone -- 50 billion downloads. And we continued to express our love for music with iTunes Radio and the iTunes Festival.

I had the opportunity to visit a few of our stores during the iPhone launch. There is no better place to see and feel why Apple is special. The best products on Earth. Energy. Enthusiasm. The best customers in the world. Passionate team members focused on enriching people's lives. Innovative products that serve humanity's deepest values and highest aspirations.

And I am proud to tell you that Apple is also a force for good in our world beyond our products. Whether it's improving working conditions or the environment, standing up for human rights, helping eliminate AIDS, or reinventing education, Apple is making a substantial contribution to society.

None of this would have been possible without you. Our most important resource is not our money, our intellectual property, or any capital asset. Our most important resource -- our soul -- is our people.

I realize many of you worked tirelessly to bring us this far. I know it required great personal sacrifice.

In recognition of your incredible efforts and achievements, I'm happy to announce that we're extending the Thanksgiving holiday this year. We will shut down with pay on November 25, 26, and 27 so our teams can have the whole week off. Retail, AppleCare and a few other teams will need to work that week so we can continue to serve our customers, but will receive the same number of days off at an alternate time. Please check with your manager for details. Our international teams will schedule the vacation days at a time that is best suited for their specific country.

I hope you find the extra time restful and relaxing. You deserve it. Details will be available on AppleWeb soon.

I am exceedingly proud of all of you. I am in awe of what you've accomplished and couldn't be more excited about the future. Enjoy the time away!
The Thanksgiving week will be a busy time for Apple's retail team, with the traditional Black Friday kickoff for the holiday shopping season coming the day after Thanskgiving. While Apple does not traditionally offer the massive discounts seen at some other retailers, the company does offer modest sales on a number of its products.

Article Link: Apple Once Again Taking Extended Thanksgiving Break as Tim Cook Applauds Employees' Work

macchiato2009

macrumors 65816
Aug 14, 2009
as usual Apple Retail employees will be able to take them starting from mid Jan 2014 only as blackout dates apply between mid Nov and mid Jan

Last edited:

shompa

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2002
I dont like it.

Tim: (since I know you read this forums) We want
MacPro 2013
Cinema displays 4K under 2000 dollars
Apple LCD 4K TV
iWatch
iPad 5, Ipad 12 inch, iPad mini retina
OSX 10.9
5 inch iPhone. (how hard is it to order a larger screen? The reason why Android uses larger screens is because its easier to manufacture.)
The GrandeIphone (just take a mini and put calling capabilties into it. This will shut up all size phone idiots. Hey look here at my 8 inch iPhone!)

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
Tim Cook is a class act.

This is one thing Tim is good at - building a strong, loyal team and actually giving a damn about everyone there, right down to retail.

----------

The iPod team must be on a permanent holiday.

Wouldn't be surprised if there is no longer an iPod team as the iPhone/iPad team would be able to knock out a new iPod pretty quickly. I'd bet if they had 6 weeks they could release an entire new model if they needed to.

hismikeness

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2009
Nice gesture that I'm sure his employees (and their families) appreciate.

More companies could learn from this.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Tim is a class act. And you get the sense these aren't just words or something the PR department wrote up for him. The CEO at the company I work for would never write something like this. And we'd never get a week of paid vacation either.

ValSalva

macrumors 68040
Jun 26, 2009
Burpelson AFB
I dont like it.

MacPro 2013
Apple LCD 4K TV
iWatch
OSX 10.9
5 inch iPhone. (how hard is it to order a larger screen? The reason why Android uses larger screens is because its easier to manufacture.)
The GrandeIphone (just take a mini and put calling capabilties into it. This will shut up all size phone idiots. Hey look here at my 8 inch iPhone!)

Some of this stuff is ready to be launched before Thanksgiving. And the rest of the stuff that's realistic will come. People usually do their best work when they know they are valued and job satisfaction is high.

taptic

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2012
California

Oh please.... that might shut them up, but I would be screaming, "GET THOSE PHABLETS OFF YOUR ASSEMBLY LINE APPLE!!!!!"

Reason077

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2007
This is another example of Apple's growing corporate laziness and complacency.

By all means, employees deserve a short break. Have a great Thanksgiving. But then, get back to work! America did not become a great nation by taking long extended vacations.

taptic

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2012
California
I'm worried that Apple employees are getting lazy and complacent.

By all means, take a short break, and have a great Thanksgiving, but then get back to work! America did not become a great nation by taking long extended vacations.

Well, I would definitely agree that they need to better be able to argue why their products are better. Some of them are just like, "Um... well. It has a nice Apple thingy-picture on it. That's nice!"

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
This is another example of Apple's growing corporate laziness and complacency.

By all means, employees deserve a short break. Have a great Thanksgiving. But then, get back to work! America did not become a great nation by taking long extended vacations.

I think you forgot your sarcasm tag.

Mums

Suspended
Oct 4, 2011
I dont like it.

MacPro 2013
Apple LCD 4K TV
iWatch
OSX 10.9

What I really want is a new 17" MacBook Pro.

iGrip

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
Good move. Happy employees = higher profits, all other things being the same.

The three days' worth of wages are a small price for the benefit received. And besides, the employees are mostly salaried and work on projects anyways, so they will make up the time by working late when deadlines loom.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.