Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bobclark86

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 2, 2013
My health insurance should cover a shattered foot, but I'd rather not go down that route...

But anyway, got a question: The Mac Pro 1.1 I use for work (laying out a small-town daily newspaper) had this nasty habit of crashing its InDesign CS2 between four and 11 times in an 8-hour shift. I'll be working along, it'll get sluggish, and then I'll make the mistake of scrolling, or highlighting text, or trying to print, and it crashes.

Hardware
— Processor: 2x 2.66 GHz dual-core Xeons
— RAM: 2gb OEM (proper heat sinks, etc)
— HDD Disk 1: 250 GB drive partitioned into two drives (The "SYS" drive is 34.88 GB, and uses about 15.5 GB with the OS and software, the second partition is 81.32 GB, and is empty... yes, the rest of the drive is inaccessible. I tried repartitioning with the terminal, but it was locked, even with root privileges for some unknown reason)
— HDD Disk 2: 250 GB drive I ripped out of an older junk computer and use for data storage (it's an IDE drive, so it sits under the DVD drive)

Software
— OS: 10.4.11 (because NewsEditPro doesn't work on 10.5 or higher)
— Design: InDesign, Photoshop (CS2 versions)
— Text management: NewsEditPro (it's a program made for newsrooms) using Suitcase Fusion 12.1.1 to sync up fonts with InDesign.

Short of just blowing the whole thing out or throwing more RAM in it, is there anything I can do? My IT guy is beyond worthless, so I want to pretty much have the whole procedure written out before I go to him again. Upgrading the OS or software versions is a no-go, as there are seven identical computers in the office (but only mine crashes as much).

Thanks,
--Bob

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.