Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

imaginex20

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 17, 2009
Anyone know of any third party cables that work with iPhone 5S??? New phone just rendered all my third party cables useless.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
FYI there are multiple threads on this topic already containing answers to your question.

The MFI Certified Lighting cables from Monoprice.com work fine, and also fit the Apple Leather Case. Monoprice is a long time well-respected vendor. (I have no connection, just a satisfied customer)

sparrky

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2008
California
The only 2 I have tried with my 5s so far are iSmooth and this Belkin car charger and both work flawlessly. No error message pop-up, they just work. A couple reviews on both say otherwise though, so I don't know what's up with that. I had no issues.

Skullbussa

macrumors member
Jul 1, 2011
FYI there are multiple threads on this topic already containing answers to your question.

The MFI Certified Lighting cables from Monoprice.com work fine, and also fit the Apple Leather Case. Monoprice is a long time well-respected vendor. (I have no connection, just a satisfied customer)

That's interesting, the Griffin car charger I bought FROM THE APPLE STORE fails to charge my iPhone 5s.

Please do not spread misinformation. The "MFI Certified" does not mean squat.

This is a huge, huge issue that Apple needs to remedy quickly. This is a much bigger issue than the stupid TouchID hack-workaround that they rushed to fix that nobody cared about.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
The MFI Certified Lighting cables from Monoprice.com work fine, and also fit the Apple Leather Case.

Please do not spread misinformation.

What part of my statement above is "misinformation"?

I referred to a specific cable type sold by a specific vendor which I have direct experience in using with an iPhone 5s.

You mention a Griffin charger that you bought at an Apple store. but give no other info like how old it is, model name/number, etc.

Rather than make a groundless accusation against someone trying to be helpful and making a broad generalization based on a single device, maybe let's work together here to identify for the community specific cables and chargers that DO work and specific ones that DON'T work.

What would be helpful would be to post a link to that Griffin charger advising people that you have problems with it. What would be of further assistance would be if you followed up with details about what Griffin and/or Apple have to say when you bring the problem to their attention.

nioted

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2007
Anyone know of any third party cables that work with iPhone 5S??? New phone just rendered all my third party cables useless.

I ordered from Tmart.com before I bought my iphone 5S and before I knew anything about ios7 blocking uncertified lightning cables.

http://www.tmart.com/1M-Lightning-t...-5-iPad-Mini-iPad-4-iTouch-5-Red_p172748.html

Currently they are going for $4.65 but I was able to buy them when they were priced at $2.79 each. Try different colors they all have different prices. I grabbed 8 of them. I've used them with my parents iPhone 5, my iPad mini and iPhone 5S. I never get the message that the cables arent supported. I've used them for charging and data transfer when I was backing up my iDevices through iTunes and have not had a single problem. I've gotten other uncertified cables from DX.com and I get the message everytime I charge. The best thing is that Tmart has 2 warehouses, one in New Jersey and one in China. Most products including this cable ship out from the New Jersey warehouse so I got the cables super fast. Hope this helps guys.

imaginex20

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 17, 2009
Just picked up a black Griffin cable from target. The quality seems better than Apple's; didn't have too much luck with Apple cables.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007

I can vouch for this as well, and confirmed works with iOS 7+5s

Gin Gin

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2009
I have to update my recommendation I posted above. I ordered both the 3 ft. & the 10 ft. The 3 ft. works fine. The 10 ft. one just came today, and it only works intermittently. Sometimes it gives me the error message & won't charge, other times it works. So I think that one is going back.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.