Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Desperate78

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 29, 2013
Hi everyone - I would really appreciate the expert advice of this community. I have a late 2011 MacBook Pro. In June 2013 I installed Mountain Lion and encrypted using FileVault. All was fine. Two days ago I got a kernel panic and when I tried to restart I got stuck with a prohibitory sign (the computer accepted my login PW, but then got stuck). I tried safe mode, re-setting PRAM, with no luck. When I loaded in verbose mode I got the errno=19. Took it to Apple Store - they worked on it for 2 days with no luck. The computer still accepted my login PW, but when they tried to re-install the OS and it asked for my PW again it didn't recognize it (very strange). They also tried using the encryption key to get around the problem with no luck. Apple's diagnosis was "encryption is corrupted". Right now I have another store having a look but wondered if you experts had any ideas?
Thanks

Dark Dragoon

macrumors 6502a
Jul 28, 2006
UK
Recovery of your data may be difficult to impossible depending on what went wrong.

However it should be a simple matter to do a clean install of OS X and start from scratch. The easiest way you be to wipe the partition table (my favoured way is to write 0's to the start of the drive using dd for a few seconds) and then repartition using Disk Utility. To do this you would need either another Mac (and a firewire cable to connect them), OSX installed on an external drive, or a USB memory stick with the OSX installer on it.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
[[ Right now I have another store having a look but wondered if you experts had any ideas? ]]

MacConfucius say:
Those folks who are obsessed with encryption may awaken to find their Mac has taken encryption to heart -- and refuses to reveal encrypted secrets to them, as well !!

Desperate78

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 29, 2013
Thanks for your advice. Encryption was not my idea - I work in healthcare and it is mandated by my employer that all staff encrypt their HD.

phoenixsan

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2012
Assuming.....

your FileVault got corrupted, exists one slight chance the data can be recovered, albeit by a especialized firm or company and using special procedures and software, borderline to computer forensics.

Would be worth try to get an assesment from one or more of such firms.....

:):apple:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.