Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tICM

macrumors newbie
Jun 5, 2011
Unfortunately it wants to duplicate my multiple GB of photos from iPhoto to the local Dropbox folder in order to sync them. As if my hard drive wasn't full enough already. :p

macrumors 6502a
Sep 29, 2013
Hyrule
Ain't nobody got space for that!

----------

Consumers don't want Dropbox. Consumers want the benefits of iCloud seamless integration that nobody comes close to matching.

Too little too late from Dropbox.

Not I. iCloud won't work on a school computer or with any iWork that isn't brand new or with Excel or Xcode or Eclipse; that says it all. iCloud also doesn't let you host purely direct public links like the Dropbox accounts created before a certain cutoff date do, and even new accounts let you send those "shared links". Extremely useful.

However, for iPhoto, I don't see Dropbox being very useful.

----------

Unfortunately it wants to duplicate my multiple GB of photos from iPhoto to the local Dropbox folder in order to sync them. As if my hard drive wasn't full enough already. :p

That's stupid. Can't it do some kind of filesystem link?

scarred

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2011
I can't believe people still trust the cloud to keep their special moments secure and private.

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
I love Dropbox. I have 25GB for free :D

And I also put my Dropbox folder inside my Box folder, which has 50GB for free. Double syncing/backup action :cool:

This will be my last year paying for Dropbox. I'll be going G Drive since I'm all in Google.

jgbr

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2007
Had the issue of Dropbox being a huge battery hog on haswell MBA been solved yet?

c-Row

macrumors 65816
Jan 10, 2006
Germany
The two services have some overlap, but honestly iCloud helps very little as far as syncing things that aren't for iOS and aren't photos.

Dropbox helps me keeping my Unity projects in sync over various different machines/OS's and maintaining backups in different locations. I don't think iCloud helps me with that, either.

Samuel Gordon

macrumors member
Aug 29, 2008
Czech Republic
It's great that Dropbox now allows automatic screenshots uploading but I'm already using Clipitto for that :) And I can also share any file in my computer so I'll stick with that for now. Hopefully Dropox will integrate such a functionality natively one day as well.

parish

macrumors 65816
Apr 14, 2009
Wilts., UK

That is the big downside of DropBox and all other similar apps (CloudDrive, SkyDrive, etc. etc.); unless you want to sync the whole of a folder, e.g. Pictures, Documents etc., you have to make a copy in the DropBox folder on your local machine which doubles the disk space each file uses, plus if you delete the original but not the DropBox copy you pretty quickly end up with a huge mess.

Don't get me wrong, I like DropBox and use it a lot.

In that respect iCloud is better as it stores stuf only in the cloud. The downside though is that the file is only available in the app that created it on your other devices, e.g. Pages. The really daft thing, IMHO, with iCloud is that TextEdit can save to iCloud but there isn't a TextEdit iOS app so the files are only available on your Mac(s) which is doubly dumb because they are usually plain text files that can be read/edited by every editor on the planet.

When someone comes up with a cross between DropBox and iCloud it will be a winner - again, IMHO ;)

till213

Suspended
Jul 1, 2011
What's wrong with UI designers those days? First dropbox, then Youtube, they all try to make us to have to do more clicks to do what we did in the past.

In one word: advertisement! They pay "per click" ;)

----------

That's where you're wrong. As an Android user, Dropbox is ESSENTIAL to syncing my photos automatically to iPhoto.

to iPhoto? From what I understood Dropbox now exports the photos from iPhoto and puts them into a Dropbox folder (so it gets sync'ed).

There was no word that when you would place a photo into said Dropbox folder that it would automagically get imported into iPhoto - was there?

----------

Unfortunately it wants to duplicate my multiple GB of photos from iPhoto to the local Dropbox folder in order to sync them.

You mean... just as Apple does when you share your photos with Photo Stream? :confused:

----------

Consumers don't want Dropbox. Consumers want the benefits of iCloud seamless integration that nobody comes close to matching.

I want ACCESS from every damn device I own, to every damn file there is on my FILESYSTEM, with every damn APPLICATION which pleases me!

I don't want to be restricted and have my files locked in into some "flat hierarchy file bag" where only the application which created the file has access to it!

Apple fail! Dropbox win (ironically, it was exactly the announcement of iCloud storage which made me aware of Dropbox at that time ;))

vajon

macrumors newbie
Jan 21, 2013
I don't understand why dropbox changed the notification icon to require more clicks to do the same things as before...
I could do everything with one click now I need 3...

What's wrong with UI designers those days? First dropbox, then Youtube, they all try to make us to have to do more clicks to do what we did in the past.

That's the success of lobbying by Mouse Manufacturers.

Sandy Santra

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2008
Brooklyn
It only syncs your Events to begin with. What is it you want it to do?

Well, short term, I started an event this morning that I REALLY need to sync with another Mac. I suspect that DB doesn't *push* back to iPhoto—it probably only copies from iPhoto to the DB cloud—but if I could just get today's photos into DB cloud, especially automatically from here on out, that would be great.

----------

It only syncs your Events to begin with.

Wait—do you mean it only syncs (newly created) events from the point (today) when you turn it on then moving forward?

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
Any photo you put in iPhoto gets sycned to DB. All Events get a folder in Dropbox. If you put a photo in DB, it DOESN'T sync back to iPhoto. DB will not make another iPhoto library on another Mac. All roads lead to Dropbox.

Any event you make in iPhoto from now on also gets an auto created folder in DB.

I question the feature since I use Dropbox auto upload anyway. From there, I process the photo and move it to another folder I have in DB as well as make a copy for iPhoto.

It seems like if you use this new feature, you might as well turn off Photostream or you're going to end up in a mess. One or the other should be the de factor archive. In my case it's Dropbox.

Sandy Santra

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2008
Brooklyn
It seems like if you use this new feature, you might as well turn off Photostream or you're going to end up in a mess. One or the other should be the de factor archive. In my case it's Dropbox.

Thanks for the high-level perspective on this (as well as your earlier detail). I think I'll go the opposite direction: NOT use DB, and instead manage photos btw Macs by leveraging Photostream.

For now, anyway.

Ed.: I spoke too soon. I just discovered if you rename photos in the Photos area of your iPhoto Library, and then drag them into Photostream, you lose the titles you just gave them! So maybe I *do* want to use dropbox (somehow) for events syncing. But I certainly can't sync ALL iPhoto events...that's over 100GB, will overrun my DB account limit, and the dupe of it in the Dropbox folder on each of my Macs will add 100GB to each Mac's HD....

Last edited:

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
Thanks for the high-level perspective on this (as well as your earlier detail). I think I'll go the opposite direction: NOT use DB, and instead manage photos btw Macs by leveraging Photostream.

For now, anyway.

Ed.: I spoke too soon. I just discovered if you rename photos in the Photos area of your iPhoto Library, and then drag them into Photostream, you lose the titles you just gave them! So maybe I *do* want to use dropbox (somehow) for events syncing. But I certainly can't sync ALL iPhoto events...that's over 100GB, will overrun my DB account limit, and the dupe of it in the Dropbox folder on each of my Macs will add 100GB to each Mac's HD....

Dropbox is just superior for file management. Also you can create albums via the "Photos" section of the web app. To boot, they put all your photos in a time line view. Furthermore, they store your photos for 30 days in case you accidentally delete something. The best part of Dropbox is the the photo albums are virtual and they don't touch my file based setup. I can share to FB, Twitter, email, use a pubic link, invite others to see a photo album. How anyone could use iPhoto as a primary photo manager is beyond me. The best part is that DB is cross platform and doesn't matter if I'm on my Mac, Windows at work, iPad or Galaxy S4. It just works.

Again, I still use iPhoto, but it's for syncing to my iDevices. I don't use Photostream to "save stuff", but put choice photos into it for use as my iMac and Apple TV screen saver.

scarred

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2011
What kind of "special moments" are you uploading? :eek:

Doesn't matter... I'm tired of everyone having a profile on me and knowing more about my life then even my friends and family. It isn't any specific content but all of it put together, allowing them to build a pretty substantial profile.

For example: Every picture you take is tagged with a location. "Dropbox" (and anyone else that gets in or has access), will know everywhere you've been. They know where you live, where your friends live, what percentage of time you are in particular locations. All without even looking at your pictures...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.