Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OVERTASK

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2013
∞o
Clickergate!
the_last_of_us___clicker_by_thomaswievegg-d5vitz1.jpg

dr.S

macrumors member
Jul 8, 2010
UK
I was just about to post about this issue as well. Noticed that the home button is not only clicks loudly but also feels sticky/resistant when you press. Side by side with my old 4s, which is soft and silent. Don't mind the click but the stickiness is annoying to be honest. It's always when you press after sometime. If you do repetitive frequents clicks the resistance decreases.

Bazooka-joe

macrumors 603
Mar 12, 2012
Swindon, England
Mine clicks as well. My sleep button felt slightly loose so when I went in to the Apple Store, they checked it and told me that both the sleep button and the home button were perfectly ok. They did offer me a replacement and when I checked the replacement, both the sleep button and home button were the same as on my original phone so its perfectly normal and nothing to worry about.

jaziCo

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2009
SoCal (Orange County)
I was just about to post about this issue as well. Noticed that the home button is not only clicks loudly but also feels sticky/resistant when you press. Side by side with my old 4s, which is soft and silent. Don't mind the click but the stickiness is annoying to be honest. It's always when you press after sometime. If you do repetitive frequents clicks the resistance decreases.

^This is it in a nutshell!!!

Its not about the noise.... No... the clicking mechanism feels different entirely and quite effing annoying.

lanthom

macrumors member
Jan 11, 2011

This exactly. Sometimes it feels just like a regular click which I expected with the new TouchID but there are times when it feels like there is something sticky in the button and it's a really loud click. I've found that if I hold the button down and move my finger around it lowers the resistance but usually once it sits for a bit it gets the same way again.

I'm just glad to hear I'm not the only one expierencing this and that it seems to be normal :)

Ianblackburn

macrumors member
Feb 21, 2011
This exactly. Sometimes it feels just like a regular click which I expected with the new TouchID but there are times when it feels like there is something sticky in the button and it's a really loud click. I've found that if I hold the button down and move my finger around it lowers the resistance but usually once it sits for a bit it gets the same way again.

I just exchanged my 5s at the apple store because of this, tested the new one in store and it seemed better. But now after a few hours use I can tell it is the same.

I find it quite annoying to be honest - it happens as you release the button rather than press it for me.

I have an iPhone 5 that i have been testing side by side, and it is a much nicer feel on that older device - I expect it is to do with the fingerprint hardware re-design.

I am going to see how I feel after a week or so, but if it continues will exchange again.

Does anyone have a 5s that is NOT making the clicky sound when you release the home button?

Melodeath

macrumors 6502a
Dec 9, 2009
My 5s home button is a lot louder than the 4s button. I prefer the more silent version of the 4s. It was easier to double-click for multitasking stuff. The louder button actually makes me want to use it less - feels like it's going to break, and is an annoying sound IMHO.

asleep

macrumors 68040
Sep 26, 2007
I personally like when everyone within my personal space knows I'm about to iPhone something.

ahwman

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2007
I have the same issue with my iPhone 5S and quite frankly I don't even enjoy using the phone because the button click is so loud. I can't for the life of me understand why anybody would prefer a loud clicky button versus a quiet subtle button. When I use my iPhone in a quiet place, it's not only annoying to me but the people around me.

Apple puts so much emphasis around product quality, as well as fit and finish, yet they can't seem to provide any consistency in the feel of the MOST used button between iterations of iOS devices.

widestload

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2008
manchester UK
My 5s home button is a lot louder than the 4s button. I prefer the more silent version of the 4s. It was easier to double-click for multitasking stuff. The louder button actually makes me want to use it less - feels like it's going to break, and is an annoying sound IMHO.

Same here. Looks like it's all of them though. I went into my local apple store at the weekend and tried 5 or 6 of the display ones and they were all the same in that there are ways to press the button to get it to feel more like my old 4s did and then other ways which make it really sticky clicky and heavy. Annoying!

AttilaTheHun

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2010
USA
Same here. Looks like it's all of them though. I went into my local apple store at the weekend and tried 5 or 6 of the display ones and they were all the same in that there are ways to press the button to get it to feel more like my old 4s did and then other ways which make it really sticky clicky and heavy. Annoying!

I bought two iphone 5S silver one is perfect quiet nice and smooth yhe other is click like the button is hitting the ring

jaziCo

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2009
SoCal (Orange County)
While the "Loud Click" is annoying as well.. its not my main problem... The entire clicking experience is terrible... I swear I hate using my phone now! As I have said before, feels very cheap, like something is going to break, I have to click harder (not as responsive), Im seriously contemplating (if an exchange does not solve the issue) going back to my i5.. especially since I bought this phone outright.

Colonel Badger

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2008
I bought two iphone 5S silver one is perfect quiet nice and smooth yhe other is click like the button is hitting the ring

I was wondering this. So I spent a little time looking closely at the new button and it appears the "ring", at least on my space gray model, is part of the button. What I mean by that is, when I press the home button the ring goes with it. The button effectively has a bevel/ring at the edges. It's just a different color on the gold and silver vs the space gray where it's the same color as the button. I believe this strange click and or "stickyness" are down to the mechanism under the button.

It's weird that leaving the button for a while makes it "feel" different for it's first click. Something must get compressed after its first press that eventually releases. At least it's consistent and we're all experiencing the same thing. It's possibly a consequence of the design of TouchID and a compromise by Apple in order for the touchID to work and be reliable.

Leonard1818

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2011
wifes 5s button clicks the same as my 5. When I press it.... it goes "click" :D

Hope this helps!

leebroath

macrumors 65816
Jul 26, 2010
Scotland
Me too :)

Definitely have the loud clicky button and also feels like it's sticking when you press down for more than a second and then let off

At least the problem is consistent and more than just a couple of us are getting this

Think I can put up with it......for just now lol

Phillyphil0302

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2009
NYC
Mine is pretty clicky also...a hundred times better than the super mushy 4s I had before. Different clicks for different folks, I guess

mondaiguy

macrumors member
Jan 9, 2010
I thought this was only me. The button feels very different, and not as good. I'm not sure if the Touch ID is worth this. Especially since I can't even use Touch ID to view my account and enter other passwords. (Maybe that will come later.)

But then who knows. Maybe I'll get so used to it that 'normal' home buttons will feel weird.

brbigs

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2013
Given that the button now has Touch ID, and all the components within, the physical components of the button (behind the glass) are now stainless steel. Whereas on the iPhone 5, 4S, 4, etc they were all plastic. After the user presses the iPhone 5S home button down, and the home button returns home, the metal components come in contact with the glass. This results in a more audible "sticky" tone. It could have been resolved with some sort of plastic coating atop the stainless steel areas you see around the home button ring.

Comparison of the two buttons.

This is an image of the iPhone 5 button. It's all one molded piece of plastic.
iU1LmdnGRvXSnMHt.large

and the new button of the 5S has a stainless steel "bowl" with a sapphire crystal piece inlayed in the center. The white sapphire crystal covers the sensors beneath it which are housed within the stainless steel "bowl."
PkWWYxMMcBtMv2yl.large

Take a plastic fork and tap it on a glass coffee table. Now take a metal fork and tap it on the same table and listen to the difference. That is whats going on with your new iPhone 5S. This is not a "feature" of Touch ID, but an oversight by Apple.

As for the tactile "feel" of the button itself, Apple may be using switches from different suppliers, or a wider variety of suppliers. Different suppliers equates to slight variances of the "same" part. The home button on my first iPhone 5S felt like crap, this was in addition to the metal "sticky" sound. I was able to get it replaced and now the tactile feel is far superior, but the metal "sticky" sound is still there.

Last edited:

sviato

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2010
HR 9038 A
The click is just the scanner doing a scan! We know how loud those can be ;)

Attachments

• 4990-450pxl.jpg
    4990-450pxl.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 124
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.