Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HIMAN1998

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 24, 2013
Richmond, VA
My late '08 MacBook is having problems. Whenever I open Chrome, I get the beach ball. When I tried using Cmd+Option+Esc, I got a beachball for that window only when it opened. I couldn't switch between Windows when the beachball happened, the system was locking up. I put in my old 160GB hard drive with Leopard on it, and now it's running fine. I can't wipe the old hard drive since I have important stuff. Is the hard drive going bad? I was trying to go through Carbon Copy Cloner to clone it, but I got another lock up. I don't have a 2nd SATA to USB adapter. So here are all my questions:

1) Is my hard drive going bad?
2) Could I take the DVD drive out and put the HDD in there without getting an adapter, just to use to clone the hard drive?

HIMAN1998

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 24, 2013
Richmond, VA
Turns out it was the hard drive. There was a corrupted part, and something from chrome was there, so it would lock up whenever I opened chrome.

MeUnix

macrumors 6502
Aug 21, 2013
San Francisco
I was going to say that this sounds like a hard drive issue. Glad to see you got it resolved before any major problems/data loss happened.

- Kyle

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.