Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Serban

Suspended
Jan 8, 2013
I play Heart of the swarm max out at 1080p (no AA) and i get average of 35 fps. So playable in 1v1 , 2v2 or 3v3. On MacOS

subxero

macrumors newbie
Aug 3, 2013
Posting on here because my performance is no where near what other people seem to be getting.

My rMBP is the 15" 2012, 2.6 GHz i7, 16 GB Ram, OSX 10.8.4

I've tried SMC resets and manually switching to the "discrete" gpu but HOTS will still only run at around 25 fps when settings are on Medium and resolution is at 1440 x 900.

pgiguere1

macrumors 68020
May 28, 2009
Montreal, Canada
Sharing my 'optimal' SC2 settings under OS X in order for people to either compare performances or use similar settings.

Resolution: 1920x1200
Vertical Sync: On
Antialias: On
Texture Quality: Ultra
Graphics Quality: Custom
Shaders: Ultra
Terrain: Ultra
Reflections: On
Effects: Ultra
Post-Processing: Medium
Physics: Ultra
Models: Low
Units portraits: 3D
Movies: High
Indirect shadows: Off

This would normally give me 40-50 fps on my 15" rMBP, but I set a 30 fps limit (frameratecap=30 in Variables.txt). While it does lower my average framerate, it increases my minimum framerate, which I think matters more. The fact the computer is not totally at full load under most situations makes it cooler and not as prone to throttling which makes my framerate less likely to drop below 30 fps during large battles. Since it usually delivers a constant 30 fps, that falls right in sync with my 60Hz monitor anyway.

I basically have everything maxed out with those exceptions:
  • No depth-of-field. That crappy gaussian blur hurt my eyes and wasn't even close to a realistic lens blur. I removed it because it looked bad, not because of performance, but I guess it still has an effect. (Post-processing)
  • Non-unique 3D models. When having a large army of the same units, they'll all look the same. The model/animations will basically be calculated once and affect all models rather than having independent instances. Huge effect on performance. (Models)
  • No ambient occlusion. Buildings and units don't seem to blend in with the terrain as much. Pretty subtle effect yet it has a big impact on performance. (Indirect shadows)

subxero

macrumors newbie
Aug 3, 2013
Tried the settings you recommended with a lower resolution of 1440x900 and according to the fps counter within SC2, I'm still averaging about 20-15fps :\

skirmisser

macrumors member
Oct 2, 2012
Set VSync to off. It can cripple fps down less than 30fps (may cap them at 30fps).

I have a 2.6/16/512 rMBP and at 1680x1050 at Heart of the Swarm switching off Vsync makes the fps jump from 30 or 60 (60 if you are lucky) to more than 77fps in the "Challenge" missions. Settings to High + textures Ultra.

I was reading at Battle.net forums that OS X takes care of Vsync and if it cannot guarantee 60 fps it drops to 30 fps! (even if your machine is doing 50 fps).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.