Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mdridwan

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2013
WOW! Thanks apple :D
Now if the iPad Mini gets A7X and retina, then it would be perfect..
fingers crossed.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Sensor ID should only be offered as an option.

I don't trust this technology that gathers biometric data. Currently we have no idea or control on what apps do with our data. Apple shows little interest in providing consumers protections against potential data theft, unless someone like Senator Al Franken brings pressure to bear.

We've already seen that some apps would clandestinely transmit personal data from contacts to third party sites without users' permission.

We also KNOW that Apple has been sending our data to the NSA.

Sure, Apple assures us that fingerprint data is not stored or sent to the cloud, etc. That and a dollar will buy you a cup of coffee.

I don't want or need a sensor ID.

You're not required to use it.

dampfnudel

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
The real dilemma is 2nd gen Mini or 5th gen iPad... Either one will be a great first (for me) iPad.

I have the same dilemma. For me, the deciding factors will be: 128GB capacity, retina on the iPad mini 2, A7 on the iPad mini 2 and Touch ID. No 128GB capacity, retina and Touch ID on the iPad mini 2, I get the iPad 5. If the iPad mini 2 gets the A6 instead of the A7, I may still get the iPad mini 2.

springsup

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2013
Apple spent $350 million on Authentec; it was never going to be limited to just the iPhone.

Anti-Lucifer

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2012
This is not a surprise at all. Going forward from the iPhone 5S, nearly all devices will use this touchID - the bigger picture apple is seeing is purchasing items in the future with the touchID. They are going to open up the buying experience with touchID - so it makes sense all new devices such as the ipad 5, ipad mini 2 will carry this feature.

It wouldn't make sense to limit this to just the iPhone.

polterbyte

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2012
Brazil
Best hard evidence yet of TouchID being included in the next gen iPad.

Kudos, and extra points for dedication.

Rettun1

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2010
Touch ID exclusive to full size ipad

I bet they'll only include it in the full size. Kinda like how it is only in the better iPhone, otherwise there wouldn't be much of a reason to go full size over mini because of the price

AppleMactablet

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2010
keep dreaming, Touch ID is an iPhone 5S Exclusive this year

Unlike Siri, its doesn't hurt there market share at all by having Touch ID in the iPad, I mean who actual buys an iPad instead of a iPhone, two totally different markets bro.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
How long till we get this on Macs ? :)

Yes, please!

I want new Apple BT keyboards with a TouchID sensor, maybe on the side power button, or on top near it. Laptops could use a corner, or the space next to the keys, or something.

And I want the Apple keyboard keys to be BLACK already! Like Apple laptops. Macs aren't white anymore! Same with the mouse. (And backlight those keys while you're at it--optional, of course.)

rikscha

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2010
London
You just don't GET IT, do you?
You don't get it apparently. Your fingerprint is nowhere saved. Any data that could in theory be acquired by hacking the iPad cannot be put together to create a full image of your fingerprint. You end up having some data points of your fingerprint. Probably easier for the NSA to just take you out for a drink and take the prints off the glass you are holding in your hands that night.

BSben

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2012
UK
It would make a lot of sense, and I wouldn't be surprised to see it all portable devices in the future, and maybe even in the remote of the next Apple TV to authorise purchases from iTunes.

gatearray

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2010

No, we don't know that at all, but the leaked documents do suggest that the NSA simply takes all the data it wants, and no permission from the companies in question is required.

Millah

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2008
The amount of time and energy that's expended to produce the content for some of these videos blows my mind. I mean, he's removing home buttons and fingerprint sensors from previous-gen and current-gen hardware to show something that Apple *might* do in the next-gen iPads? That's some serious dedication.

Which leads to sites like Macrumors picking it up, which leads to tons of views on YouTube, which leads to ad money and also new subscribers for future ad money. I wouldn't call that dedication, more like business sense.

avanpelt

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
Sensor ID should only be offered as an option.

I don't trust this technology that gathers biometric data. Currently we have no idea or control on what apps do with our data. Apple shows little interest in providing consumers protections against potential data theft, unless someone like Senator Al Franken brings pressure to bear.

We've already seen that some apps would clandestinely transmit contacts and location data to third party sites without users' permission.

Sure, Apple assures us that fingerprint data is not stored or sent to the cloud, etc. That and a dollar will buy you a cup of coffee.

I don't want or need a sensor ID.

Maybe I misunderstood Touch ID, but I thought you could turn it off so that you could just use a PIN/password to unlock your device the same as before?

As for me, I believe I had to provide my fingerprints when applying for a U.S. Passport years ago and I think it's pretty likely that the NSA already has access to that data.

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
Touch ID, hell yes. This and 32GB starting price, please Apple.

avanpelt

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
Which leads to sites like Macrumors picking it up, which leads to tons of views on YouTube, which leads to ad money and also new subscribers for future ad money. I wouldn't call that dedication, more like business sense.

Good point. I still think someone has to have some serious dedication to something (making money?) to crack an iPhone 5s open and remove the fingerprint sensor. My hat is off to the guy who made the video.

I don't have the chops to crack open my iPhone like that. And even if I succeeded at getting it open and removing components, I think there's a better than even chance I wouldn't succeed at getting it back together correctly.

RAPTORSKI

macrumors regular
Jan 24, 2013
British Columbia
It seems Apple has mastered the fingerprint sensor technology quicker than we might have originally thought. That is great news and it makes total sense for Apple to add the fingerprint sensor to it's next-generation iPad line up, before the competition can add a similar sensor to even one of it's products with the exception of HTC One Max.

himanshumodi

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2012
India
I have to ask. I got an iPad4 a couple of months back. yeah, yeah, I know I could have waited, but I didn't because I really did need an iPad at that point.

So what kind of additional bucks would I have spend, if I sold off my iPad4 and bought an iPad5?

The real draw for iPad5 is not touchId, but 15% lower weight and smaller size (rumour) and potentially better battery life.

giantfan1224

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2012
I got a bill in the mail the other day from Express Toll out of Denver. Apparently when I was there in May I used one of their express toll lanes and their cameras caught me, matched my license plate and state with my personal information and sent me the bill.

Years ago my wife ran a red light in Phoenix. She was driving her grandpa's car. With facial recognition software, and the fact that long ago she had an AZ driver's license that has long since expired and been relinquished, they still found her and mailed her the citation.

My point is, in this day and age, if you're so worried about gathering of personal data and privacy, you're probably better off living out your days in some underground shelter.

Last edited by a moderator:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.