Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Powermichiel

macrumors newbie
Aug 18, 2013
At least there is something to talk about here...

In The Netherlands, where i live there is still no iPhone 5s. Even worse, it has not even been announced yet !

So if anybody wants to complain about the colour of his new iPhone 5s... Rub it in !

LordJohnWhorfin

macrumors regular
May 28, 2002
Can these be unlocked to use on US GSM carriers?

----------

At least there is something to talk about here...

In The Netherlands, where i live there is still no iPhone 5s. Even worse, it has not even been announced yet !

So if anybody wants to complain about the colour of his new iPhone 5s... Rub it in !

Yes but you live in such a lovely country :)

Wolfpup

macrumors 68030
Sep 7, 2006
The site you linked is not Virgin Mobile US (Sprint)

Glad you caught that. I was momentarily excited, thinking I'd try Virgin, and if it didn't work out would have a phone I could use anywhere and try AT&T.

The process that described doesn't actually sound like unlocking at all LOL, just "hey stick in a different SIM card".

Doesn't apply to Sprint, unfortunately.

luckysob

macrumors regular
Mar 29, 2011
So then....how does a pre-paid phone on Sprint/Virgin USA get unlocked? How long do you need to use it on the Sprint network before moving off it and having the hardware unlocked?

Wolfpup

macrumors 68030
Sep 7, 2006
On the Sprint network? FORGET IT.

Stay far, far away people.

If you've got good coverage from Sprint where you are, this is an awesome deal. Save $100 on the phone, and save thousands on the plan.

It's a consideration that they're not unlocked, but shouldn't be an automatic deal breaker.

TheGoldenWombat

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2013
Just a heads up for anyone considering this, I received mine today and it shipped without the SIM card it was supposed to come with. Judging by their Facebook and Twitter pages, I'm not the only one. So it might be worth it to wait a week or so while they get that sorted.

I sure am glad I paid extra for next day shipping...

wongulous

macrumors 6502a
Dec 7, 2002
I have Sprint and it's fine. Why bother posting to dog on it just because it isn't great in your area? Get a service that is great. It's wireless, it isn't going to be perfect everywhere.

Anyway, does anyone know if one could purchase this and then put it on their Sprint account? I'm under contract and looking at buying unsubsidized (full retail), and this would save $100 due to the discount currently.

Dave00

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2003
Pittsburgh
It's CDMA only. So what exactly is the point of paying full price?
Overall cost of ownership is MUCH lower due to the significantly lower monthly fee. I would do this in a heartbeat, but my employer covers the cost of the monthly plan but not the cost of the phone, so it doesn't make sense for me personally.

Still waiting on my 5s, 10 days now with a status of "Processing items". Anyone else in the same boat? seems like they should do some sort of status update beyond that.

Zepaw

macrumors 65816
Apr 18, 2010
MN
I wish all the interesting prepaid carriers weren't off Sprint; they suck around here.

jjxtra

macrumors newbie
Dec 26, 2012
Don't Use Virgin Mobile

Ordered iPhones from Virgin Mobile. Called to activate and they said they needed ICCID off the back of the box. There was no ICCID on the back of the box. They insisted that there was. There really wasn't, trust me. After 10 minutes of this crap I hang up. The phone doesn't work on Sprint either. Customer service has been absolutely horrible.

I'm returning for a refund and of course I have to pay the shipping and it will take them 14 business days to credit my card AFTER they receive the phones.

Stay away, stay far away.

tsetse

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2010
I purchased the iPhone 5s from the Virgin Mobile site 2 days ago and had it express shipped to my hotel, while I am in the US for some days.

It shipped without SIM card for me as well (like many others) :((
I can not even activate it now, and will not be able to wait to get an other SIM, because I go back to Europe soon.

I am very curious if I will be able to use the phone in Europe with my carrier. Very unlikely, right?

I think I will need to get one of those active little SIM cards ... ****!

Any ideas how I can get this puzzle solved?

Might I be able to purchase a random Virgin Mobile prepaid SIM card somewhere, and activate the Phone with it, then get it unlocked somehow?

Last edited:

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
Best Buy, Walmart and Radio Shack @ $45

With contract, of course.

The iPhone 5C Can Now Be Yours for Just $45

RadioShack and Walmart join Best Buy in heavily discounting the new model

By Courtney Subramanian @cmsubOct. 04, 2013

Just two weeks after it first went on sale for $99, Apple’s colorful new iPhone 5c is already on the bargain racks. First Best Buy rolled out a promotion on Thursday to offer the Apple iPhone 5C for $50, and now RadioShack and Walmart have announced similar price cuts on the new device.

Starting today, Walmart — which was already selling the phone for $79 — will slash its price to $45 through the holiday season, while RadioShack plans to give customers $50 gift cards to apply towards the iPhone 5C phone from Saturday through Nov. 2. Best Buy’s deal only lasts through Oct. 7. All promotions apply only if customers sign a two-year wireless contract.

Read more: http://techland.time.com/2013/10/04/the-iphone-5c-can-now-be-yours-for-just-45/#ixzz2gsrJ7LcH

Tiger8

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2011
Just hearing about Solavei leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I've met 2 people this month using Solavei, and they both were annoyingly persistent at trying to get me to try the service. :mad:

----------

maybe they are just selling old stock.

That was a mistake apparently, the 5 is now at $450, just like the 5c.

Spacial

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2013
Seems like the days of premium pricing are over for Apple.

Time to rethink their game.

Wolfpup

macrumors 68030
Sep 7, 2006
Seems like the days of premium pricing are over for Apple.

Time to rethink their game.

:confused: They're charging the same prices as always.

I think they need a $100-200 model. Android is eating up their marketshare, and Microsoft and Nokia have proven you can build a really nice phone with few compromises and get it out there cheap. There's no reason the equivalent of a Nokia 520 couldn't run iOS just fine.

Marketshare matters because for one thing, iOS used to be completely dominant for developers. Now more and more Android is getting stuff at the same time, and it could shift that it gets stuff first. They needed a cheap model years ago to stem this.

But they haven't...everything they sell absolutely has 'premium pricing'.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.