Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

EA has finally updated the original Plants Vs. Zombies iPhone game with support for the iPhone 5's 4-inch screen, which originally came out last year.

The game, which has received only a couple of bug fix updates in the past year, was updated today with iOS 7 support and some "gameplay bug fixes". The sequel, Plants vs. Zombies 2, was released in August.

plantsvszombies.png
What's new

o Optimization for the latest and greatest devices!
o Updates to ensure operating system compatibility and stability
o Gameplay bug fixes to keep Plants planting & Zombies zombie-ing!
Back in March of this year, Apple began requiring all app updates to support the 4-inch display on the iPhone 5, in order to have a consistent experience for users buying the latest Apple devices.

Plants vs. Zombies is available for $0.99 as two separate iPhone and iPad apps. [iPhone, iPad]

Plants vs. Zombies 2 is a free download from App Store. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Original Plants Vs. Zombies Updated for iOS 7 and the iPhone 5's 4-Inch Screen

pseudomichael

macrumors newbie
Aug 7, 2012
Nice that it fits the screen now but is it just me or does the animation look slightly choppy? I'm on the 5S.

jasonefmonk

macrumors 6502
May 5, 2011
EDIT: I downloaded the app (ver 1.9.9) but it doesn't fill the display; still 3.5-inch resolution.

Awesome! For a while I was watching for an update, but I figured they abandoned it. I don't care for free-to-play games but wanted to play some more Plants vs. Zombies on my (then-) new iPhone 5.

Last edited:

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
EDIT: I downloaded the app (ver 1.9.9) but it doesn't fill the display; still 3.5-inch resolution.

Awesome! For a while I was watching for an update, but I figured they abandoned it. I don't care for free-to-play games but wanted to play some more Plants vs. Zombies on my (then-) new iPhone 5.

App Store is having issue today. For example the Convert+ app that has long been abandoned suddenly got an update for iOS 7 and 4-inch screen, to my surprise. However after downloading the app it still showed the old 3.5-inch interface and several minutes later App Store told me that app has got an update. The issue has since become more serious and now I can't download anything from the App Store.

NightFox

macrumors 68040
May 10, 2005
Shropshire, UK
Well, never though I'd say it, but credit where credit is due to EA for updating an "old" app - most houses seem to drop all support and development for apps as soon as they bring out a newer version.

Jayomat

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2009
Well, never though I'd say it, but credit where credit is due to EA for updating an "old" app - most houses seem to drop all support and development for apps as soon as they bring out a newer version.

Rather: "lets see if we can make some more $$$ by updating on old game". nothing against that, but it's not like this is charity ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.