Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yuanmoons

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 7, 2008
Ive noticed recently, after re-installing snow leopard & 10.6.2 combo update, whenever i connect my external drive by USB i immediately experience a drop in wifi speed down to zero... when i unmount/disconnect it it begins to rise again back to normal.

Anybody ever heard of this?

Ill test whether any difference between unmounting and unplugging.. and whether it happens with external drives...

mburwell

macrumors newbie
May 18, 2009
Yes! Wow, I have searched forums and have not found this issued dialed down to this specific combination. Many people post and complain about loss of wifi connectivity and in scouring the forums, I have seen a connection with those that use Time Machine. I thought initially this was my issue, so I reconfigured so my Time Machine drive was connected via my AEBS. I was golden...UNTIL I connected my USB drive in order to erase the contents and begin using it to store video files. In fact, it was not Time Machine causing an interruption, but rather when I connect my USB drive. I can get to the internet via wifi immediately after unmounting my USB drive, but then when I plug it back in...no wifi!

Did you ever find a solution?

Incagraphy

macrumors newbie
Jul 19, 2011
to resurrect this long-dead thread, I come with the same issue.

Macbook Pro 2011, Mountain Lion 10.8.5 loses wifi connection at home whenever I plug in my G-Drive mini external drive.

Anyone with any information on this?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.