Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jaasen Jones

macrumors member
Oct 6, 2009
If you read the story it clearly states that Apple is extending the extra paid holiday to all of their employees around the world. We don't celebrate thanksgiving in the UK but UK employees will still get the extra days holiday at a later time.

I'm saddened by the general lack of respect and compassion for other people on this thread. We wouldn't have any Apple products to fawn over without the thousands of low paid Chinese workers who build them. Apple certainly wouldn't make so much profit and consequently your shares wouldn't be worth so much. So yes I do think we owe them and we should let them share in the spoils of their labour.

PS That's such a lame comment. You don't change anything by ignoring it.

Foxconn is contracted, they're not apple employees. Nobody forces those workers to work there. I've contracted for companies for years while watching actual employees get special treatment over me. I honestly don't care though, I can leave if I want.

StoneJack

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2009
Foxconn is contracted, they're not apple employees. Nobody forces those workers to work there. I've contracted for companies for years while watching actual employees get special treatment over me. I honestly don't care though, I can leave if I want.

Chinese workers have their special Lunar New Year in late January/February when every plant is closed and they have their own extra days off (I don't remember how many days but its more than a week).

zgh1999

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2007
Sorry, I am all for giving employees the recognition they deserve.

But seriously -- what has Apple achieved under Tim Cook?

Tim Cook's leadership -- or more accurately, the lack of leadership -- at Apple is now at risk of becoming truly legendary.

Apple has gone from industry and world's innovative leader to a company that can't do anything to innovate -- except rehashing phones in different colors and in gold color.

Apple can't even make a bigger screened iPhone.

Truly, truly lame.

And now Tim Cook is talking about employees' work?

What planet is he on? What planet?

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
It would be silly for Retail to close for a week...during shopping season for the holidays. It's an industry given to open early, close late, stay open during vacation weeks. That's how the Retail Sales Industry works.

You didn't understand my post and that's partly my fault for not saying everything, even though I made it obvious in my earlier post. My point was not about giving the retail employees a week off but rather there's just no real point in giving everyone at the corporate office a thanksgiving week off. Not everybody there deserves that or works nearly as hard as the front line at the retail stores.

Honestly I just have to wonder about some of you guys here. Some people here seem very elitist and put down people in retail as if they should be working like dogs and while the "white collar" water-cooler gatherers get treated so much better. At the end of the day it takes a SALE to make money. Jony Ive can produce some amazing products but Steve Jobs still had to stand up on the stage and sell it, even if some of it wasn't the best invention since sliced bread. Retail employees bring in the revenue so the corporate people can get paid and it's always the retail people that get treated the worse during holidays. Perhaps they can't get the time off during the Thanksgiving but I didn't see anywhere on this article that Tim Cook was giving extra compensation or offering extra perks to the retail store employees for putting in long hours bringing in revenue. I'm no longer in retail but I worked in it for 18 years. I now run my own business but I certainly haven't forgotten what it's like to be in retail during the holidays.

Last edited:

applefan10466

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2013
Sorry, I am all for giving employees the recognition they deserve.

But seriously -- what has Apple achieved under Tim Cook?

Tim Cook's leadership -- or more accurately, the lack of leadership -- at Apple is now at risk of becoming truly legendary.

Apple has gone from industry and world's innovative leader to a company that can't do anything to innovate -- except rehashing phones in different colors and in gold color.

Apple can't even make a bigger screened iPhone.

Truly, truly lame.

And now Tim Cook is talking about employees' work?

What planet is he on? What planet?

Under Tim cook apple sold the most devices it ever has in its history, made the most money it ever has in its history, and has outsold its competitors in such a ridiculous fashion that there should be a mercy rule.

What planet are you on?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.