Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mariners4L

macrumors newbie
Aug 9, 2013
Best SSD for MBP

This.

I used the 830 for almost a year with no problems whatsoever. No slowdowns. No issues.

I agree with this post....agreeing with another post.

No seriously, the Samsung 840 pro has been life changing! It has run like perfection in my macbook pro. THe install was not hard and buying it the drive online at Amazon instead of paying Apple for the drive up front is the most cost effective way to go. I have read several articles comparing the latest SSDs and Samsung without fail is the most recommended. The key points the reviews point to are speed and reliability. No other SSD rates higher in BOTH of those categories. But if you're like me, I get sick of reading all the experts, so you come here for tips or read reviews online. You just can't fake this many positive reviews:

Samsung 840 Pro SSD Reviews

Ifti

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2010
UK
I agree with this post....agreeing with another post.

No seriously, the Samsung 840 pro has been life changing! It has run like perfection in my macbook pro. THe install was not hard and buying it the drive online at Amazon instead of paying Apple for the drive up front is the most cost effective way to go. I have read several articles comparing the latest SSDs and Samsung without fail is the most recommended. The key points the reviews point to are speed and reliability. No other SSD rates higher in BOTH of those categories. But if you're like me, I get sick of reading all the experts, so you come here for tips or read reviews online. You just can't fake this many positive reviews:

Samsung 840 Pro SSD Reviews

I agree with this post, agreeing to my previous post, which was agreeing to another post ;)

Giuly

macrumors 68040
Samsung 840 Pro, but depending on who you're asking:
gyev9uy.jpg

gAdfymK.png

The 240GB and 480GB models of the SanDisk Extreme II, Seagate 600 and OCZ Vector beat the 840 Pro.

Last edited:

ellsworth

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2007
What does TRIM do? should it be enabled?

There's a lot of info online if you're interested in finding out exactly what it is. The best way to explain it is: TRIM support is the management of "Waste" or used blocks on your SSD. TRIM has to be supported by both the SSD and the operating system in order to wortk. Without it, SSDs build a lot of waste that just harbors in limbo using up valuable storage space.

Hope this helps.

clavedozzy

macrumors newbie
Jun 6, 2013
Usually they list all free blocks as specified by the operating system and then pass this list as a series of TRIM commands to the drive.

Internally It wiped the blocks of data are no longer considered in use.

dollystereo

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2004
France
BEST: Samsung 840 Pro
I personally ahve both, the pro and non-pro version. Both perform equally good. (I am no writing to the disk huge files all the time.
Now there is the EVO version, but I haven't tried that one yet.
The 840 non-pro is very cheap now, it's an excellent drive.
Avoid OCZ.

shibato

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2013
840 pro

Upgraded my macbook pro 13" from end 2011 with a 840 pro and it has transformed it into a new machine. Everyone recommended the 840 pro to me, and price ratio speaks for itself... is is a great choice!

----------

Upgraded my macbook pro 13" from end 2011 with a 840 pro and it has transformed it into a new machine. Everyone recommended the 840 pro to me, and price ratio speaks for itself... is is a great choice!

Oh, and remember to enable TRIM each and every time you upgrade the OS:)

BikerDude5

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2013

----------

Oh, and remember to enable TRIM each and every time you upgrade the OS:)

DO you have to update the SSD itself? I've been searching the net quite abit and seen that brought up a couple times.

julesotis13

macrumors newbie
Aug 30, 2011
sorry, i have to chime in...

This maybe sound a bit stupid and very fanboy'ish but I try to avoid Samsung products because of their shameless copies of iPhones and iPads

So if I want to avoid Samsung SSDs?

cuz shameless copy makes me laugh....isnt that whats called competition? they don't look like apple smartphones at all...and having used countless droids and iphones, the Samsung Galaxy is the only legit top level alternative Droid so far. It's impressive the amount of work as far as capitalistic technology competition they have put in. rant over, sorry, thanks:D

ArchiMark

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2003
Silicon Valley
Probably getting a late '11 MBP 2.5GHz tomorrow..

If so, will want to replace the HD with a SSD.....

From reading this thread and some others the Samsung EVO or Pro series seems like great choices...

However, when I look at some vendors online for them there are a variety of model numbers for both series.

Does it matter which one I get?

For example in the EVO series I see either:

MZ-7TE500LW

or

MZ-7TE500BW

and Pro

MZ-7PD512BW

If there are other manufacturer to consider let me know with model number or pointer to place to find info...

Thanks for clarifying....

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
For example in the EVO series I see either:

MZ-7TE500LW

or

MZ-7TE500BW

For the EVO there is a "desktop kit" that ends in part number KW that has a 3.5" mounting kit included, then a LW model that is a "laptop kit" that includes a USB transfer cable, then the BW model that is just the bare drive. Unless you need the transfer cable, just get the bare drive for about $10 less.

All three part numbers are the same drive just with different accessories.

ArchiMark

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2003
Silicon Valley
For the EVO there is a "desktop kit" that ends in part number KW that has a 3.5" mounting kit included, then a LW model that is a "laptop kit" that includes a USB transfer cable, then the BW model that is just the bare drive. Unless you need the transfer cable, just get the bare drive for about $10 less.

All three part numbers are the same drive just with different accessories.

Thank you !

Understand now....

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Personally believe that the best choice is 840 Evo, a very good balance in all aspect + excellent GB/$ Ratio.

UKgaryb

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2013
Manchester, UK
I'm on my fourth 840 in 6 months, they keep dying in my Mac Mini 2012.

Keep registering as 10gb then failing to re-partition.... very poor drives.
I'd say keep to Intel ones, have a few 240gb / 160gb Intel SSD's and they've never failed.

Apart from them dying they seem reasonably fast etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.