Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Otterbox has introduced iPhone case/wallet combination, the Commuter Series Wallet. The $45 case includes space for 3 credit cards and a single dollar bill, while coming in black, white/grey and pink/grey color combinations.

The new case competes against other wallet cases like TwelveSouth's BookBook, as well as dozens of other wallet cases on the market.

commuterwallet.png
- Multi-layer case guards against damage to your device
- Slimline design hides contents, keeping them safe and secure
- Self-adhering screen protector guards against scratches and scrapes to the glass display
- Access drawer holds up to three cards and one bill
- Audible click closure gives you peace of mind knowing your items are securely enclosed
- Access Wallet drawer contents without turning case over
The Commuter Series Wallet case, for the iPhone 5 and 5s, is available from Otterbox and other retailers for $45.

Article Link: Otterbox Introduces New iPhone 5/5s Case With Space for Credit Cards and Cash

joshwenke

Suspended
Mar 26, 2011
So now when you lose your phone, you also lose your wallet at the same time! (And vice versa.)

Theives will love it!

SchneiderMan

macrumors G3
May 25, 2008
Clunky and overrated. So many better choices out there for a fraction of the cost and I don't mean cheapo cases either... OtterBox is the Beats of cases, only that now Beats has improved its repertoire.

Lord Hamsa

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2013
So now when you lose your phone, you also lose your wallet at the same time! (And vice versa.)

Theives will love it!

I suppose you could say that with one fewer thing to look after, maybe you'd be less likely to misplace it or be careless with it.

----------

Hilarious. I never understood why people by Otter boxes at all. They look huge and hideous.

*I* don't use an Otterbox. I put Otterboxes on hand-me-down devices I give to the kids, to protect them from the inevitable drops, etc. But they are also popular with people who need a ruggedized case due to their work environment.

ZildjianLudwig

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2012
Just in case putting your iPhone in a regular otterbox didn't make it bulky enough.

Somewhere, Jonathan Ive sheds a single tear.

trainwrecka

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2007
Earth
I used a BookBook for about a year. I liked losing the wallet, but it added a lot of unnecessary bulk. I switched to the Safe Wallet a little over a month ago and love this case. It allows me to hold more than the 2 card limit most wallet cases have (I have 5 and bill) and it has a secret stash spot for emergency cash. Great case.

supermassive

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2010
What a Piece of junk. It transforms the slimest Phone to date into a qube. Why not put in a tent and sleeping bag and condoms and whatnot?

cmichaelb

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2008
Italy
*I* don't use an Otterbox. I put Otterboxes on hand-me-down devices I give to the kids, to protect them from the inevitable drops, etc. But they are also popular with people who need a ruggedized case due to their work environment.

That makes sense.

I can't tell you how many people around my office use the biggest, thickest Otterbox cases on their iPhones. I don't get it.

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
A single bill? That seems... Useless.

I have a wallet that has a smaller "sub-wallet" that I remove when I don't need my full set of cards. The "sub-wallet" is just two "card window" bits connected together. (Similar to, but not the same as, this one.)

In the two-section removable bit I keep my photo ID, one credit card, and a (folded behind the ID) $20 bill. Everything else goes in the main wallet. If I know I'll need more cash, I'll either make it two $20 bills, or a larger bill. When I get change, it goes loose in my pocket.

I don't use just the sub-wallet often, only if I'm "dressing up" to go somewhere, and the full wallet would be intrusive. This has worked fine for me up until now.

The idea of a slim phone-wallet I could replace the separate even sub-wallet with would be good - although when I use the sub-wallet, I tend to use a slimmer phone case, too.

And, of course, Case Mate makes a similar case for less than half the price...

Juliobds

macrumors newbie
Sep 6, 2013
I used a BookBook for about a year. I liked losing the wallet, but it added a lot of unnecessary bulk. I switched to the Safe Wallet a little over a month ago and love this case. It allows me to hold more than the 2 card limit most wallet cases have (I have 5 and bill) and it has a secret stash spot for emergency cash. Great case.

That does seem like a way better and more useful case than this otter ... thing.

TouchMint.com

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2012
Phoenix

Does look cool thanks!

jwhazel

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2005

Theives will love it!
And now when I misplace or lose my wallet-phone, I'll actually be able to track the whole thing down instead of only being able to track my phone. Sounds like a win to me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.