Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sodner

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
Can I ask why no one outside this thread cares?

Honestly are all the reputable news agencies afraid of Apples backlash (think Gizmodo) if they go public with this?

I called it. Only a tech news agency already on Apples **** list would go public with this for fear they would no longer get invites to their Keynotes. ;)

wxman2003

Suspended
Apr 12, 2011
I downloaded the free version of ihandy level. On my iphone 5s native app it is off by -3 to -4 degrees. On the ihandy app it is only off -0.7, and that was before calibrating the app.

tivoboy

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2005
shocking

I saw this on another site today, shocking. How could they mess it up so badly?

i-aamir

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2010
UK - London
Cult of Mac just issued an article as well! Looks like it's finally getting some attention. Just spoke to apple care who advised to return and exchange for a new one or get it swapped at a Genius Bar!

Not sure what to do!!

W1246

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2013
Just got off a call with Apple and on the record I have them saying:

1. Apple is aware of this issue and engineering is looking into it.
2. No indication yet as to whether this is a software or a hardware issue.

Support seems to believe, without qualification, that this is a software issue. I am hoping this is the case as well since my iPhone was accurate straight out of the box and the inaccuracy built up over the few days I was testing this issue.

I was given the option of returning the phone because I am within my 14 day return period, but at this stage I am leaning to keep the phone because it's free of the other manufacturing defects/differences (interlaced screen, loose silence switch, nicks and scuffs out of the box) however it does have a loose power button like almost all other 5ses I've seen.

Last edited:

gdourado

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2010
According to Gizmodo, all sensors are off!!!
This might be enough for me to stop being over excited about the 5s and over bored about the lack of stock.
I might hold on to my 5 longer until this get's sorted on newer batches...

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
Glad to see this is being picked up on by some more major blogs.

My Apple-insisted-upon-it next-day replacement iPhone 5s is out for delivery right now. I'll report back to let you know if it's "accurate."

We all know the answer already, but hey… for science!

walmartmartyr

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2012
Well, I was hoping three of my phones would have one exception....

osdhk5.jpg

But alas!

220u4g.jpg

The black, which I am using, has drifted to -6 a day later.

benfranke

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2013
Wow. Just wow.
My first iPhone was the iPhone 4 White which apparently I was holding wrong quite frequently because if I held it in my left hand (when, for example, I was taking notes with my right hand) my reception would drop until I completely lost the signal.
The iPhone 5S is my second iPhone. It rattles badly (Homebutton and Camera), failes to recognize my fingerprint four times out of five and as if this wasn't enough, I just found out I'm affected by bad sensor calibration as well.

Took some pictures:
Fail 1
Fail 2
Fail 3
Fail 4

I just talked to a Apple Support (Germany) on the phone, first the guy told me to restore my iPhone to rule out a faulty software update. That obviously didn't help. Then he did some research and told me Apple was not aware of this issue (once again, Apple Support Germany) and they had no idea if this was software or hardware related. He suggested I go to an Apple Store tomorrow and check out if the devices they had on display there were affected as well. If this is an isolated issue, he suggested I return my iPhone since I've only had it for two days.

Yes I just registered to make this post because I MAD.

Sodner

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
I find it funny that Gizmodo and Cult of Mac both referenced this thread yet MacRumors ignored this news story for what ever reason dispite the fact it was right under their nose.

I guess becuase its an acutal PROBLEM and not some RUMOR. Great job guys! NOT!!

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
I find it funny that Gizmodo and Cult of Mac both referenced this thread yet MacRumors ignored this news story for what ever reason dispite the fact it was right under their nose.

I guess becuase its an acutal PROBLEM and not some RUMOR. Great job guys! NOT!!

What's worse is that Apple STILL has not said anything official about it. I understand that stuff happens, and a fix might take time, but to not even acknowledge it…? Le sigh...

----------

Well, I was hoping three of my phones would have one exception....

But alas!

The black, which I am using, has drifted to -6 a day later.

Oh that stinks. But hardly surprising, of course. :(

Sodner

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
What's worse is that Apple STILL has not said anything official about it. I understand that stuff happens, and a fix might take time, but to not even acknowledge it…? Le sigh...

And ain't no "free bumper" going to solve this.

Tim Cook: "We're not perfect. We love our customers!"

iMacDragon

macrumors 68020
Oct 18, 2008
UK
Add me to the list.. just got mine today, off by about 2degrees. this is something I always check in new devices ( had a couple swapped before for being more than degree out ), not terribly happy.

wxman2003

Suspended
Apr 12, 2011
I would bet Apple will not do a recall, but instead add manual calibration software in an ios update that will mask the problem.

gopherhockey

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2010

----------

Oh that stinks. But hardly surprising, of course. :(

Are you all really that dense? Apple isn't going to release any acknowledgement until it knows what is happening and possibly has a fix or solution. I wouldn't expect any company to do differently.

Since when did MacRumors get full of so many anti-Apple hating trolls? Seriously, as with every year some story comes out and everyone overreacts... then a solution comes out in a week or so and in 3 weeks nobody cares.

Those that flew off the handle and predicted Apple's demise suddenly look like the chumps they were a year prior when they attempted to do the same thing.

Chill... this too will be fixed....

Spetsnazos

macrumors regular
May 3, 2012
lately its been quite a joke with apple hardware.

First the ghosting on the retina MBP and now this. I'm still not aware that Apple admitted to ghosting on the retina's using LG displays. I'm glad I got my Samsung rMBP :D

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
Are you all really that dense? Apple isn't going to release any acknowledgement until it knows what is happening and possibly has a fix or solution. I wouldn't expect any company to do differently.

Since when did MacRumors get full of so many anti-Apple hating trolls? Seriously, as with every year some story comes out and everyone overreacts... then a solution comes out in a week or so and in 3 weeks nobody cares.

Those that flew off the handle and predicted Apple's demise suddenly look like the chumps they were a year prior when they attempted to do the same thing.

Chill... this too will be fixed....

Apple-hating trolls? lol. Good one. We're just frustrated users. You might be frustrated, too, if you spend many, many hours in line for a new device that simply doesn't work as intended.

In any case, as other people have said, Apple says VERY little about their product defects unless absolutely pushed by the media so they have no choice. And sometimes, not even then! (The image retention issues on the rMBP, for example).

None of us in this thread is predicting Apple's demise. We are, however, frustrated with Apple's lack of transparency. While usually first to the plate when it comes to new tech, Apple is one of the slowest to ever publicly admit fault for things, which is sad.

tipp

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2010
Just got off a call with Apple and on the record I have them saying:

1. Apple is aware of this issue and engineering is looking into it.
2. No indication yet as to whether this is a software or a hardware issue.

Support seems to believe, without qualification, that this is a software issue. I am hoping this is the case as well since my iPhone was accurate straight out of the box and the inaccuracy built up over the few days I was testing this issue.

I am inclined to think this is a software issue as well. There is probably something off in the factory calibration of the sensors, but things like these tiny gyro sensors are calibrated with software, not hardware. The gyro just needs to be told what is true level on each access and it should be fine. Apple's exacting calibration setup seems a bit odd to me on its own.

jbellanca

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2007
I wish the level was right, but honestly, for me, no iPhone I've ever had has gotten the compass right... it's always been 5-15 deg off. Every one.

----------

The iPhone 5S is my second iPhone. It rattles badly (Homebutton and Camera), failes to recognize my fingerprint four times out of five and as if this wasn't enough, I just found out I'm affected by bad sensor calibration as well.

1. If your Home button rattles, take it in and get a replacement. That shouldn't happen.
2. The "camera rattle" isn't your camera. It's the vibration motor, and it's supposed to do that. There's tons of posts about that one online.
3. If it doesn't recognize your fingerprint 4 of 5 times, it's probably related to the rattle you mentioned in the home button. See #1 and get it replaced. The fingerprint sensor, from my experience and what I've read from others, seems remarkably reliable, so if your's isn't, like I said, see #1.

Juanefny

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2013
Spokane, WA
So I was wondering why my planes were veering to the right...
Yup 3 degrees off here. And my phone reboots like once a day when multitasking... Lordy lordy... what has Apple turned into :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.