Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jmmo20

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 15, 2006
Hi,
I hope this is not way too off-topic. I'm moving to Germany for a period between 6 to 12 months. I have an unlocked iPhone 5. I have questions for our German friends or anyone who's had similar experiences with german carriers.

- Is it easy to get a monthly contract if you have just arrived in the country? I'll be full-time employed in a Hospital and can provide proof of income.

- If not and I have to go the prepay route, do German carriers offer nano sims? Or will I have to cut my sim?

- What carriers would you recommend? Most of the use will be data, so at least 1gb or unlimited data would be ideal. Also, do carriers limit VoIP? A good chunk of my communications will be through Facetime video/audio and not always from home (where I'll have wifi..).

thanks a lot.

Ripcrod

macrumors regular
Oct 3, 2013
I live in Germany (not a German) and can provide some answers for you

Hi,
I hope this is not way too off-topic. I'm moving to Germany for a period between 6 to 12 months. I have an unlocked iPhone 5. I have questions for our German friends or anyone who's had similar experiences with german carriers.

- Is it easy to get a monthly contract if you have just arrived in the country? I'll be full-time employed in a Hospital and can provide proof of income.
--> Getting a contract is very simple in Germany. Getting out is a pain. Minimum Contract period is 2 years & unless you don't cancel the contract 3-4 months before the first contract expires, it will auto renew. Breaking the contract means pay full amount and get out. Of course for a contract you need to have an account in local German bank

- If not and I have to go the prepay route, do German carriers offer nano sims? Or will I have to cut my sim?
Yes, you can get micro/nano sim. Cutting costs 10 euros. Just did min for the iPHone 5s
- What carriers would you recommend? Most of the use will be data, so at least 1gb or unlimited data would be ideal. Also, do carriers limit VoIP? A good chunk of my communications will be through Facetime video/audio and not always from home (where I'll have wifi..).

thanks a lot.

There are lots but only T Mobile & Vodafone has LTE. O2 is coming up with LTE in next months. Here there are other companies who sublets from big players like Debitel, Base, http://www.deutschlandsim.de/ etc.

Almost all are same except for the cost. You might need to check the following the provider websites

my adivce: Think twice before signing the post paid contract. BTW if you get any phone on contract they are NOT locked as per regulations unlined the US

jmmo20

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 15, 2006
thanks a lot :=)
That website looks good, I'll have a look!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.