Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Following an employee test period earlier this week, Apple today released a Supplemental Update to OS X 10.8.5, fixing an issue with the FaceTime HD camera on 2013 MacBook Airs, a bug that caused external drives to be ejected after a computer goes to sleep, an HDMI audio issue, and a problem that prevented certain USB Bluetooth adapters from working.
The OS X v10.8.5 Supplemental Update is recommended for all users running OS X Mountain Lion v10.8.5. This update:

- Resolves an issue that may prevent certain applications from using the FaceTime HD camera on mid-2013 MacBook Air systems
- Fixes an issue that may cause external drives to be ejected after the computer goes to sleep
- Addresses an issue that may prevent HDMI audio from working after waking from sleep
- Fixes an issue that may prevent certain USB Bluetooth adapters from working
The update also includes iTunes 11.1.1, fixing a bug that caused iTunes Extras to display incorrectly and an issue that resulted in deleted podcasts.

1085supplemental.jpg
The update can be accessed from the software update tool in the Mac App Store or via Apple's support page.

- OS X Mountain Lion v10.8.5 Supplemental Update

Revised Versions of 10.8.5:

- OS X Mountain Lion Update v10.8.5
- OS X Mountain Lion Update v10.8.5 (Combo)

Article Link: Apple Releases OS X 10.8.5 Supplemental Update With Several Bug Fixes

lcmazza

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2012
And... Permissions from iTunes 11.1.1 are still NOT REPAIRABLE.

:mad:

Apple should ditch permission repair if it's not important at all.

Tastic Bycrom

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2008
Kansas City, MO
Any chance of improvements to podcast syncing is welcome. I've been having to repetitively mark episodes as played and remember where I was whenever I switch devices. The syncing works sometimes, but never consistently...

seble

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2010
Hope this fixes the problem with my late 2012 iMac taking an age to wake from sleep when it used to be almost instant!

theloon

macrumors member
Dec 19, 2007
and here it is...drum roll

The slightly better tested QA version of 10.8.5...

Yawn

How long till we have Apple tuesday...

nzalog

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2012
The HDMI audio drop on sleep was driving me nuts, I wasn't sure if it was an XBMC problem or hardware issue. Glad they got this fixed. I was rebooting my mac mini every time I wanted to watch tv...

seecoolguy

macrumors 6502
Nov 28, 2007
Hope this fixes the problem with my late 2012 iMac taking an age to wake from sleep when it used to be almost instant!

using a 2011 10.8.5 mac here and no issue when waking from sleep. it's still snappy, (i have mine hooked up to our active directory domain).

Jim L

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2011
The Piedmont, NC
The HDMI audio drop on sleep was driving me nuts, I wasn't sure if it was an XBMC problem or hardware issue. Glad they got this fixed. I was rebooting my mac mini every time I wanted to watch tv...

Me too.

Although I'm looking forward to Mavericks, this is a great patch! :)

ozarkcanoer

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2012
10.8.5 Supplement

My late 2012 iMac has same issue with 10.8.5. Seems to be coming out of hibernation, not sleep and also keeps the Apple bluetooth Trackpad from working for a longish time and the Crashplan process from reconnecting quickly also.

Have filed a bug report.

Haven't installed this update yet.

demetr1

macrumors newbie
May 8, 2013
just noticed a dodgy file called 'mach_kernel' on my root drive... wots this all about...? anyone else got this...?

Pndrgnsvc

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2008
Georgetown, Texas
Just to clarify…

Does the original MacRumors post above for the Combo Updater contain the Revised 10.8.5 and 1Tunes 11.1.1? Or, is the only way to get the revisions is via Software Update?

Dordt

Nov 13, 2012
Netherlands
Sund issue

Hopefully a correction according sound/audio issue.

From this post: https://forums.macrumors.com/showthre...1635282&page=8

Sound Quality
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattle29
Installed on my 2012 MacBook Air (upgrading from 10.8.4) and now the sound is very "tinny" and the speakers sound awful. I can't see anything in the Sound settings that have changed, and no Equalizer settings in iTunes were changed.

Anyone else have this?
Just updated to 10.8.5 and there is indeed a drop in sound quality. Irritating since I have high quality speakers. I used CC cloner prior to the update and unless they release a mini update to correct the problem soon I will revert back to 10.8.4. Though, I would not hold our collective breath since the bug with CAC cards I was aware of for over 2 years ago and they finally got around to fixing it. I repeatedly sent in bug reports and tried everything under the sun to fix the CAC bug and yet it took well over 2 years to correct.
I will try to reset the PRAM.......

A bit resolved but still tinny sound.
Why is Apple not fully testing these updates?
I'am going to mail Steve Jobs:rolleyes:, in order to regain full power over the Apple company!

hepsquith

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2006
Damn, does not fix the well documented issue where skype doesn't recognise the Facetime Cam on a new MacBook Air. Anyone have a different experience?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.