Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rtr1985

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2012
Seems like the stiffness goes away after a couple weeks.

It feels like there is a little wiggle room now...or I'm just being OCD

zer06ame

macrumors member
Aug 28, 2010
I'm sure there is going to be some discrepancy in the button quality from unit to unit, but I actually find the "loud clicking" of my 5S to be pretty satisfying.

I've noticed that if you just press it lightly you won't hear any audible click at all. Hopefully you're able to get past the annoyance ;)

ahwman

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2007
So I have the same "click" that everyones talking about, and quite honestly it annoys the hell out of me. First off I feel like its not as responsive (meaning you have to click harder), also I feel like its going to break.

So, I was thinking maybe its just me, maybe its my Apple OCD kicking in. At work 3 of my colleagues also had the same issue (not officially an issue yet I guess), so I thought cool, everyone has it.

The other day, I just so happened to be at a mall that had an apple store, out of the 5 iPhone 5's I tested, on the display floor, only one of them had this issue, and the rest were flawless! Just like the click on my i5 was.

So basically my post is to confirm that not all of them are like that. The ones I tested at Apple store, had the same click and responsiveness as my previous generation iPhones. I HATE this home button... feels very cheap!

I just got back from the Apple Store and I must say my experience was completely different than yours. I tested literally every phone on display and each one of them without exception exhibited the same annoying click as my 5S. I then had a Genius Bar employee take my phone into the back room where it was quiet and compare it against three other iPhone 5S's. He came back and said they sounded exactly the same. The funny part was that the employees said they loved the clicking sound - to each his own I guess. At that point he was still willing to exchange it, however it didn't make a lot of sense being that my phone is perfect in every other way and I would risk potentially getting a phone with a real defect. To further validate this, my best friend has an iPhone 5s and it sounds identical to mine. So at this point I'm sad to say it looks like this is something we will all have to learn to live with. And for those who claim their phone is not clicking I suspect it's open to interpretation...

I cringe at the thought of the upcoming iPad, as it will most likely include a Touch ID sensor and have a clicky home button - whereas my iPad 3 is almost dead silent.

Food for thought... :confused:

jaseone

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2004
Houston, USA
My 5S had the annoying resistive click when I pushed it certain ways, most frequently when I pressed it in the center and it made it really annoying to double press for multitasking but I am pleased to say that after close to 2 weeks usage it is now performing like it has on all the past iPhones.

So it would seem like it is just something that has to wear in, not sure what though.

jaziCo

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2009
SoCal (Orange County)
My 5S had the annoying resistive click when I pushed it certain ways, most frequently when I pressed it in the center and it made it really annoying to double press for multitasking but I am pleased to say that after close to 2 weeks usage it is now performing like it has on all the past iPhones.

So it would seem like it is just something that has to wear in, not sure what though.

Im kind of actually starting to notice this as well.. we'll wait and see what happens

AndrewR23

Contributor
Jun 24, 2010
I just got back from the Apple Store and I must say my experience was completely different than yours. I tested literally every phone on display and each one of them without exception exhibited the same annoying click as my 5S. I then had a Genius Bar employee take my phone into the back room where it was quiet and compare it against three other iPhone 5S's. He came back and said they sounded exactly the same. The funny part was that the employees said they loved the clicking sound - to each his own I guess. At that point he was still willing to exchange it, however it didn't make a lot of sense being that my phone is perfect in every other way and I would risk potentially getting a phone with a real defect. To further validate this, my best friend has an iPhone 5s and it sounds identical to mine. So at this point I'm sad to say it looks like this is something we will all have to learn to live with. And for those who claim their phone is not clicking I suspect it's open to interpretation...

I cringe at the thought of the upcoming iPad, as it will most likely include a Touch ID sensor and have a clicky home button - whereas my iPad 3 is almost dead silent.

Food for thought... :confused:

Every 5S at my local Apple store had the exact same click as mine.

ManessKen

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2013
Has anyone noticed how the iPhone 5c button operates compared to the one on the iPhone 5s?

Caliact

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2013

I think I have the same issue. Mine feels like it's catching on the sides or something, but only when it's coming back up after a button press. It's very annoying, feels like the button isn't centered or the size is slightly too big.

I don't mind the clicking sound, I just want the button to feel flush when I push it. Sounds like there might be a light at the end of the tunnel...

evorc

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2011
iPhone 5S home button is making loud clicking noise

Mine has no click sound whatsoever :) when released. It feels soft and quiet. I'm normally OCD when it comes to loose or loud home buttons in my past iPhones so trust me on this ;).

macjoshua

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2011
Nashville, TN
My first 5S clicked like crazy. I ended up taking it to the Apple Store and the Genius swapped it out. The second one was just as loud. haha. So, the trip wasn't worth it.

However, I have noticed that the click is now almost entirely gone and the button is quieter than my iPhone 5 was. I had gotten used to the click, and now I'm nervous something is wrong because their isn't a click. :rolleyes:

Poly

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2013
Germany
My button makes no sound when clicking at the edges and when i gently press the WHOLE button with my thumb.
But when i press the center it does click pretty noticeable! My 4S always had a pretty soft homebutton.

Should i worry?

Lucille Carter

Suspended
Jul 3, 2013
All the new home buttons make a click sound. Each has an idea of what loud really is.

Just not loud enough to complain about but this IS the iPhine forum.

ahwman

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2007
Mine has no click sound whatsoever :) when released. It feels soft and quiet. I'm normally OCD when it comes to loose or loud home buttons in my past iPhones so trust me on this ;).

What about when you click near the top or sides of the button? Mine is almost silent if I click dead center or towards the bottom, but if I click towards the top, it has that secondary high pitched and very annoying I might add - click on the way up.

I'd like to think this is something that will go away with time, however I don't believe that's the case...

AAPLinc

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2012
Hollywood, CA
I'm sorry I can't understand how a 'loud click' is annoying. Especially since the click isnt really THAT loud, let's be honest. People honestly complain about everything. My 5S and my room mates 5S home button sounds exactly the same. Louder than my 4S, but nothing that annoys me. :rolleyes: What are you guys clicking your home button 300 times a minute?

Poly, no you shouldn't worry. My 4S button is a bit softer too, but it's also 2 years old. In my opinion having a clicky button is a good thing (sign of sturdiness), it's a soft button that you should worry about.

averlus

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2013
So I think it's safe to say the new 5S home button clicks, which is ok...because after all, it's a button.

evorc

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2011
iPhone 5S home button is making loud clicking noise

What about when you click near the top or sides of the button? Mine is almost silent if I click dead center or towards the bottom, but if I click towards the top, it has that secondary high pitched and very annoying I might add - click on the way up.

I'd like to think this is something that will go away with time, however I don't believe that's the case...

There's is a click sound when I press awkwardly on the top part. But why would anyone press the sides or top? I like to think one would press the center most of the time. I think it's just the way it's designed. I don't think there is anything to worry about here folks. Exchanging for another one opens up opportunities for other defects on the replacement. Just be happy you don't have a dead pixel and press the center not the sides. Now if you are pressing dead center and there is still a clicking sound then this is not normal. Mine had no sound when clicked normal.

ahwman

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2007
There's is a click sound when I press awkwardly on the top part. But why would anyone press the sides or top? I like to think one would press the center most of the time. I think it's just the way it's designed. I don't think there is anything to worry about here folks. Exchanging for another one opens up opportunities for other defects on the replacement. Just be happy you don't have a dead pixel and press the center not the sides. Now if you are pressing dead center and there is still a clicking sound then this is not normal. Mine had no sound when clicked normal.

On my iPhone there is a tiny sweet spot where it only makes the primary soft click, however if I press anywhere else there's the annoying secondary click as the button returns to the normal position. That said, I shouldn't have to be aware of exactly where I click the home button to avoid this secondary click. Bottom line, I can pretend all I want but the fact is that it annoys me and takes away from the overall enjoyment of the phone. For that, I am VERY disappointed in Apple that they would spend so much time on fit and finish yet overlook something like this - it just doesn't make sense...

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
My home button clicks too. Tbh, the home button on the 5S feels kinda cheap. I really can't see this functioning properly for 2 years.

AAPLinc

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2012
Hollywood, CA
My home button clicks too. Tbh, the home button on the 5S feels kinda cheap. I really can't see this functioning properly for 2 years.

Why does it feel cheap? To me the 'clickiness' feels sturdy, honestly please tell me why you think it feels cheap, because I don't understand.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.