Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nevaborn

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2013
Absolute rubbish !
3 cards, 1 note and an ugly case that is over priced.

I spent £4 on ebay and bought from the states the ultimate wallet case for an iphone.

It opens llike th usual book wallet case and on the left there is a driving license slot, the left the flips up to reveal a full wallet ! Space for cards and 2 pouches for more then a large note section.

Perfect.

Only downside like a lot of cases is the flash reflecting off the case can at times effect top corner of a photo. But can be fixed.

If Apple would make a wallet case like this one but wider camera hole I would pay £50 as they are so handy. Phone and cards. Makes it so easy.

CarlJ

macrumors 604
Feb 23, 2004
San Diego, CA, USA
Just in case putting your iPhone in a regular otterbox didn't make it bulky enough.

Somewhere, Jonathan Ive sheds a single tear.
"A single perfect tear. And we think it's the best tear that we've ever shed."

I use a bumper (3rd party since no official one for 5/5s), because it makes it more grippy and keeps the screen off surfaces if you lay the phone down face down, but my wife uses an Otternox because, by her own admission, she drops it a lot, and our 2yo niece loves to grab her iPhone whenever the opportunity arises.

unfrostedpoptar

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2010
Hilarious. I never understood why people by Otter boxes at all. They look huge and hideous.

You never understood? You can't imagine that someone in the world might have different requirements than you do? It's not hard if you try!

I don't use mine all the time, but I do when my iPhone is mounted on the handlebars of my bike! A couple of years ago, I couldn't avoid a block of wood in the road and hit it going very fast. I managed to not wipe out but my phone went flying about 20 up in the air and came down on the asphalt. It didn't have a scratch on the phone and never even stopped playing the music through my Bluetooth headset!

aristotle

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2007
Canada
I personally went for a 12 South Book wallet case. it looks like a small book when closed and it can house ID, three cards and some cash.

----------

What is this "cash" you speak of?
It's what grown up people carry around with them when they need to make small purchases and not hold up the line. It is also a virtual necessity if you travel to Japan because many places don't accept foreign credit and debit cards including cabs and train station machines. Cash is king in Japan partly because of the decade long recession and low interest rates.

Nevaborn

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2013
Also this case wont work as advertised. Its too narrow for a UK note and it sounds too narrow to fold one and still one note is not helpful

FuNGi

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2010
California
Ever been married? Work construction? Have kids? Live near the beach? In a dusty place?

Yes. Yes. No. Yes. Yes. I just put it in a Lifeproof case when going to those environments and take it out when not. Typical drop protection does NOT require an Otterbox.

Dusky600

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2010
Portugal
To all you idiot's bashing otterboxes and cases like it

THESE CASES ARE FOR SPECIFIC USES ! (Constuction sites for instance)

besides, if someone likes to carry around a huge phone what's it to you ?

Shonuff

macrumors member
Jul 8, 2008
Too bulky for my tastes but I see the point if you need a rugged case and a wallet case both.

For those in the market for a wallet case I highly recommend the Wally Case. They make 2 versions, one that can be added to existing cases (or a naked iPhone) and one that has the case built on. Most functional wallet case I've owned hands down and I've tried several of them.

http://www.distilunion.com/collections/mobile

If you have a case you really like but would like to add a wallet "sometimes" then the one with suction cup functionality is a great option. It works great.

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
Hilarious. I never understood why people by Otter boxes at all. They look huge and hideous.

My thoughts exactly. But then again, I guess if someone is clumsy and drops their phone a lot, an Otterbox case would certainly work well for them.

acarney

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2007
Ugh, none or these really combine a wallet and phone case. Instead they add some room for a single card, or a couple cards, or have a snap close "lid" to hide away a couple cards. I've got a Hex wallet case (impulse apple store buy while I was replacing a phone) and it's nice, but doesn't replace the wallet. It'll carry 3 cards + a little cash and is like the BookBook with how it covers the phone and folds closed. HOWEVER, the cash is crazy hard to access quick (so I don't even use it) and more then 3 cards makes them very hard to remove.

I need a beautiful wallet case (preferably leather) that closes like a book and can hold six cards, plus if it has room for a bill or two stuffed in it, but not a deal breaker if it doesn't.

I need drivers license, Amex, bank/ATM card, moviepass card and regal rewards and carmike rewards. That's pretty much 99% of what I use. Six cards and I would totally feel comfortable leaving a full wallet at home.

License is important for being carded for anything or proving who you are, or if you get pulled over, etc.

One credit card is important for shopping or buying anything, bonus I get airline miles.

Bank/debit/ATM card is important for the one random business that stops you dead in your tracks and says CASH ONLY. If I don't have cash on me there's an ATM close by.

MoviePass card, well, $30/month for unlimited movies, duh. How else do I go out to see two or three movies a week at the theaters?! (PM me if you have questions, lol)

Regal/Carmike rewards. I could get rid of these if both places upgraded to mobile friendly ticketing and stuff. Then I could use passbook and they could just scan the screen real fast, but till then I don't want to hand my phone over to a box office flunky and concession stand dude and what them squint and type in 15 numbers. Oh, and I want my rewards, every month I earn ~1 free movie tix (bring a friend, yay!) and ~2 sodas and ~2 popcorns. Probably ~$25 to $30 worth of free stuff a month.

So ya. I either alter my life and miss out on freebies, drive around without my license, or run the risk of bumming cash off a friend in a rare case, or I carry my wallet and my phone/wallet case at the same time...

Is six cards really too hard to accommodate? I don't need the case being 9mm thin or something. I'm combining two items into one, I'm happy enough with that reduction, I don't need it to also be thinner then a phone as well or something! :frustrated:

Any recommendation beside getting ride of a couple cards??

mlmwalt

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2010
Philadelphia, Pa, USA
Otterbox serves the purpose of protecting your phone/iPod etc. I only use the Otterbox when I know I'm going to be getting in a ruckus, like tailgating or beach or something like that; otherwise my phone goes naked with a screen protector.

praterkeith

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2005
Montgomery, AL
My thoughts exactly. But then again, I guess if someone is clumsy and drops their phone a lot, an Otterbox case would certainly work well for them.

They don't look all that nice but my girlfriend's iphone looks great to have had it a year and dropped it 788975789969 times. Lol

Rajani Isa

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2010
Rogue Valley, Oregon

There are two main reasons people buy iPhones.

Form - aka "it looks cool"

and

Function - It does what they need in a way they like.

When the primary reason you buy it is the latter, that means you want it to keep working. In my jobs I've worked in factories, restaurants, and other stores - including deliveries and being around plenty of things that would crush a naked iPhone - or get it wet (yay for messing with hot tubs!). That's why I until recently was using a defender - not for "looks". Now I use a Safe wallet (really liking it) but if it wasn't for the intense desire to ditch my old wallet I would be still using the defender - which I still have in case I go somewhere I might want to be paranoid about.

TL;DR version : Some people want the functionality of the iPhone and want it keep functioning over it "looking pretty'.

Rajani Isa

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2010
Rogue Valley, Oregon
Is six cards really too hard to accommodate? I don't need the case being 9mm thin or something. I'm combining two items into one, I'm happy enough with that reduction, I don't need it to also be thinner then a phone as well or something! :frustrated:

Any recommendation beside getting ride of a couple cards??

Other than submitting feedback for more use-friendly mobile solution for your membership cards not much.

And most people who want a wallet case don't want it anywhere near bulky unfortunately. However, like another in this thread, I have the BulletTrain Safe wallet. The folks behind fell behind the original kickstarter dates, but kept up the updates - I was happy with it - anyway, they're doing a second production run soon.

http://www.bullettrain.com/SAFEWallet.html

acarney

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2007
Other than submitting feedback for more use-friendly mobile solution for your membership cards not much.

And most people who want a wallet case don't want it anywhere near bulky unfortunately. However, like another in this thread, I have the BulletTrain Safe wallet. The folks behind fell behind the original kickstarter dates, but kept up the updates - I was happy with it - anyway, they're doing a second production run soon.

http://www.bullettrain.com/SAFEWallet.html

Ya, I looked at that, sadly they really need someone to redo their web site. Most Kickstarter sites are very modern and slick and inviting. This one some how pulls off the "late night infomercial" pitch instead...

Also, I really don't like the "hard case" type system for a wallet case. I understand people want small and slim but man it's hard to reduce all the way down to just one or two cards. Honestly everyone should have an ID or drivers license with them now a days so that leaves room for ONE credit card and maybe an ATM card with some of these. That's not much when you think of how much we carry in our wallets.

Again, a GREAT addition to the phone case, but not really a replacement.

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
I used a BookBook for about a year. I liked losing the wallet, but it added a lot of unnecessary bulk. I switched to the Safe Wallet a little over a month ago and love this case. It allows me to hold more than the 2 card limit most wallet cases have (I have 5 and bill) and it has a secret stash spot for emergency cash. Great case.
Nice. Been looking for something like this. Hadn't found a decent one for the i5.

For those that mock the wallet case...I use one for certain types of outings where I want minimal baggage. Phone, a few bills, prob one credit card, and license are all I want at an amusement park or other such place. Works great for that.

giantfan1224

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2012
This is perfect because I only ever carry one bill with me. And when I buy my diet coke at 7-11 with a $20, I tell them to just keep the change. :rolleyes:

libertysat

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2010
Another Otterbox Defender defender
Saved my phone too many times to count over the years

My iPhone is one of my tools during the day
Sometimes in my tool pouch/bag
Sometimes stuck between seat and console again in the damn truck

I ain't tryin' to impress nobody, I just want my tools to survive my world
My iPhone is one of my handiest tools...

CarlJ

macrumors 604
Feb 23, 2004
San Diego, CA, USA
The approach I've always preferred over wallet/phone-case combos is to carry only as much iPhone case as you really need, and, separately, carry only as much wallet as you really need, avoiding the refrigitoaster syndrome. There are some really thin/small wallets available online. I have one from all-ett.com I really like, but there's also bigskinny.net , bellroy.com , koyono.com , and likely numerous others.

(And if you really want to drink from the firehose, go hang out on edcforums.com for a while - the folks there are very interested in finding the best one of everything that you might carry in your pockets - and can probably hook you up with custom leather workers who can make all sorts of interesting to-your-spec cases.)

marku5

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2010
Austria
Nah..

i bought this a few years back: http://www.regenttailoring.co.uk/Catalog.aspx?cat=Mens_Other&item=873

an Im lovin it! :)
it really is THE best leather you can get and i expect to get a very very long lifespan out of it.
its kind like these old school leatherbags that may last a few generations.
it can easily hold 4cards/10bills (6/20 at the very most.. )

i update my iphone at least every 2 years and any kind of case/sleeve thats anything more than an ultrathin protection layer is out of the question for me..
let alone something like the above mentioned...
just doesn't feel right..!
(slim batterylife-extension cases might be an exception there in some cases..)

its quite expensive but i really can't say often enough how superior this leather is in quality
there is pretty much only one manufacturer in the world with somewhat limited supplies from around Chicago that sells cordovan leather to ludwig reiter..

----------

carry only as much wallet as you really need, avoiding the refrigitoaster syndrome.

have look: http://www.regenttailoring.co.uk/Catalog.aspx?cat=Mens_Other&item=873

it is the single best small wallet you can get....!

marku5

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2010
Austria

elgrecomac

macrumors 65816
Jan 15, 2008
San Diego
Really? Totally crazy price.

$45 for a phone case? Really? I'd never spend that kind of money. And once the Chinese knock-off camp ramps up, we'll get them for $5 including delivery(!) like my existing case.
:eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.