Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Terrin

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2011
The one worrying thing to me is that Apple should already have a focused team working on technologies like this for Siri and their web services. Either they saw one chunk of tech that they liked, they just want to bury competition, or they haven't been working on this stuff at all.

Or they just want patents and talent.

ViperDesign

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2007
Utah
Another thing that will be AMAZING and GROUND BREAKING when apple puts it into the iOS system. Just like SIRI, who to be honest isn't that great anymore. Google Now has surpassed it greatly IMHO.

Just like every big company, they rarely come up with the ideas, they just buy the ideas.

mrxak

macrumors 68000
Maybe, however there is a bit of PR here too. Buying the third party developers whose ideas they like looks a heck of a lot better than ripping off their ideas and killing them off.

There is also the recruitment, i.e. acqui-hire angle.

That's really most of it, recruitment. Maybe a small company has some interesting patents or proprietary algorithms, but mostly this sort of thing is about Apple snatching up developers they think are particularly talented, or have expertise in areas Apple wants to add to their arsenal. Apple definitely doesn't do this for PR, though, or they'd be more open about such acquisitions. Apple is notoriously quiet about this sort of thing, and if it wasn't for rumor sites and very Apple-interested tech media, we wouldn't hear anything about it.

ideal.dreams

macrumors 68020
Jul 19, 2010
I love Apple products but Google Now is definitely currently out-classing Apple. This seems like a much needed catch-up in that space.

Because unlike Apple, Google doesn't wait to announce new features once a year in a new OS. They just do it.

I don't know about every one else but I'm tired of waiting so long for so little - the iPhone 5s is extremely underwhelming and iOS 7, although beautifully redesigned, doesn't add that many new features. It took a year for them to do this? Even still, iOS 7 is still half baked with many bugs, even after how many betas? I love my iPhone and my iPad and my MacBook and wouldn't dream of switching out any of them, but I gotta say - Apple is taking their good old time on stuff that doesn't deserve it. Dare I say...they're not "innovative" enough?

TouchMint.com

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2012
Phoenix
They do some pretty interesting stuff over there at cue. I had been following them since the Greplin era (I have a friend from school who works there so thats a big part of it).

As far as i knew it was quite a few of ex-google employees so they got a pretty sweet team. I wouldnt be surprised if some of the acquisition was for the team.

japanime

macrumors 68030
Feb 27, 2006
Japan
The deal has reportedly netted Cue (formerly known as Greplin) $40 to $60 million dollars.

So, the deal is for something between a mere 40 dollars all the way up to 60 million dollars? That's quite a spread! :D

(Seriously, MacRumors needs to invest $40 of its own in a journalism stylebook.)

retroneo

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2005

iGrip

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
Slavery is Freedom

This whole thing sounds positively Orwellian to me. I wouldn't use it.

----------

How ironic considering Steve Jobs always maintained Apple was a software company. Yet it seems they are behind other companies when it comes to software and cloud services.

No, Apple is a hardware company. They only develop software in order to sell the hardware.

Karma*Police

macrumors 68030
Jul 15, 2012
I love Apple products but Google Now is definitely currently out-classing Apple. This seems like a much needed catch-up in that space.

I don't know about that. While I like what Google Now tries to accomplish by aniticipating my needs, I think it's a WIP and find Siri to be far more useful and smarter today. For example, I just tried setting an appointment for tomorrow at 10am with Google Now but it thought I meant Saturday because it's a few minutes past midnight here. Siri is smart enough to ask if I meant 10am Friday or 10am Saturday. Also, when I told Google Now to "cancel", it brought up the definition of cancel. Siri would've canceled the appointment I just made.

The superior intelligence and usefulness of Siri extend to other things, like looking for movies, restaurants, setting reminders, navigation, reading/replying to texts, etc. making Siri more useful for my every day needs.

IMO, the main advantage of Google Now over Siri is its speed and dependability. I'm assuming Apple's new data centers in NV and OR, once they go live, will address that issue.

therealtycho

macrumors newbie
Aug 13, 2013
The one worrying thing to me is that Apple should already have a focused team working on technologies like this for Siri and their web services. Either they saw one chunk of tech that they liked, they just want to bury competition, or they haven't been working on this stuff at all.

Lol, soooo.... in the small % that has NOT used iOS 7 yet, eh?
Give it a try. The FIRST thing I noticed is how similar the new notification area is to Google Now's "Today"... or whatever they call it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.