Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zoomos

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2009
I was having trouble with streaming podcasts and it would freeze up after refreshing a podcast..

The solution?

I loaded iTunes and disabled wifi and tried to update a podcast, didn't work because it has no internet but after I turned wifi back on, all the podcasts stream just fine and no more freezing when select different podcasts.

Weird but it worked for me.

hakuin

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2010
Noooo way...does that work? :confused::eek:

I hope it's that simple! It looks like under the "My Podcasts" view a blue circle means unplayed, half blue is partially played, nothing means it's playcount is 1 or greater?

Does it have ANY new podcasts show up in that list when you refresh, not just the most recent?

Guess you'd have to click on the "reload" type button in the corner, then check each podcast.

hmm...I like the list view better, but maaaaybe this will work?

Annoying thing is I have to switch everything BACK over, then back again if it doesn't work lol

I am only subscribed to four podcasts. When I click to reload I guess it checks for new podcasts, though I have the subscription settings set to check every hour anyway so I don't use it.

If I want to listen to an older podcast I can select "Old Episodes", select the circle next to the one I want to listen to, click "Done" and the episode will show up ready to download when I want.

I think you can change how many podcasts show up in the list in the subscription settings. I only keep two because if I miss more than that catching up is not worth my time, but you can choose to keep all if you want.

Wolfpup

macrumors 68030
Sep 7, 2006
Both Unplayed and My Podcasts views are slow and clunky.

First, at some point in playing a podcast.....iTunes decides you've reached a point where it's not new and not half circled played. When this happens, it doesn't show it on the Unplayed screen. And on the My Podcasts screen....it only shows the number as true unplayed.....so looking at it you have no idea which podcasts have partially played episodes.

-Kevin

I found another flaw with "My Podcasts". If a podcast you get adds more than one entry at once (something that happens with many of mine...or if you miss a day or two) it only shows ONE podcast for download. The rest you can only see by switching back to list view, which of course defeats the purpose.

I've been messing with this, was tentatively hopeful, but...nope.

Back to Mozilla's Thunderbird.

I have the hope that maybe I can download from it into a single directory, then dump that directory back in to iTunes, setting everything to remember playback position, and then manage podcasts as before, except with iTunes thinking they're music.

It's more steps, but might work, and works better than iTunes built in support now :-/

I had been saving the podcasts out into individual directories, but that's hopefully redundant.

hakuin

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2010
I found another flaw with "My Podcasts". If a podcast you get adds more than one entry at once (something that happens with many of mine...or if you miss a day or two) it only shows ONE podcast for download. The rest you can only see by switching back to list view, which of course defeats the purpose.

I've been messing with this, was tentatively hopeful, but...nope.

I've found that changing the subscription settings only alters what happens in "My Podcasts" for newly made podcasts from that point onwards, and is not immediately reflected in the number shown/downloaded. Just to let you know.

Wolfpup

macrumors 68030
Sep 7, 2006
I've found that changing the subscription settings only alters what happens in "My Podcasts" for newly made podcasts from that point onwards, and is not immediately reflected in the number shown/downloaded. Just to let you know.

I guess I'm not exactly sure what you mean? It seems to only show one new podcast, even if there's 3 (or 6, or whatever) over on the list view?

Because of that, I'm now experimenting with having it update itself, like I click the refresh button, and it automatically downloads any new episodes as it finds them, so hopefully that won't be an issue.

I don't know yet if that actually works though-I'll be able to better judge tomorrow hopefully.

Also annoying is finding the ones I want to delete, though if I have them all in a playlist as I often do, they'll at least show the play count there.

If this DOESN'T work I'm going back to Thunderbird, saving everything in a pile, then dumping that in iTunes as music and deleting from the pile, setting everything to remember playback position...I THINK that'll then provide something akin to iTunes 2005-2013, save that I'll have to use two programs and a few extra steps.

VidProQuo

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2010
Where It's At
leave it to podcast producers

The only way I've found to make old podcasts to disappear in List View is:

1. Download most recent podcast,
2. Delete most recent podcast (move to trash),
3. Unsubscribe from that podcast which makes all the old ones go away including most recent.

When everybody had that problem where all their old podcasts were deleted when they upgraded to 11.1 I also was greeted with the same blank "click here to get started" with podcasts, but because I had been syncing with my iPod Touch in the old version and my iPod was connected as soon as I agreed to the "agreement" (which I read up to the point where it makes it clear that either they own you or the hardware you payed all that money for is useless if you decline) all my podcasts were synced back to iTunes from my iPod Touch.

Going forward, my approach is to stay unsubscribed from all my podcasts (which is 15, from photography, to science, and tech, including "The Talk Show with John Gruber") so those podcasts (and their advertisers) are not being heard by me until the issue is fixed. That way all podcast producers have reason to put pressure on Apple if they want their audience back. I'll wait for it.

generationxwing

macrumors 6502
Feb 10, 2005
Calgary
Thanks for this excellent contribution to human culture. Maybe next time you'll want to actually understand the issue before randomly attacking people.

I'm pointing out that your reaction is over-the-top and you actually have no intention of leaving Apple's ecosystem over a single bad iTunes release.

I understand the issue. I don't like the new podcast setup in iTunes 11.1, but I'm not going to threaten to stop using Apple's products over it. Making empty threats like that just make you look like a joke, or an angry neckbeard.

Does that clear it up for you?

Wolfpup

macrumors 68030
Sep 7, 2006
I'm pointing out that your reaction is over-the-top

No, you're being rude. You didn't "point out" anything, and have failed to explain how it would be an over reaction.

and you actually have no intention of leaving Apple's ecosystem over a single bad iTunes release.

Actually I would, if I no longer have any reason to use it. I mean I might stay, or I might not, if suddenly the one thing pinning me to $750 phones and overpriced tablets no longer applies. Why would I not consider other options?

As it is, there may or may not be work arounds, but you just decided to act like a jerk, and have contributed nothing to figuring them out.

Making empty threats like that just make you look like a joke, or an angry neckbeard.

It's hardly an empty threat. If it's entirely broken, I have no reason to stay in Apple's ecosystem.

Wolfpup

macrumors 68030
Sep 7, 2006
Update! Okay, someone figured out that "My Podcasts" view could sort of sub in for the now-broken list view.

It was a good idea, but didn't work because My Podcasts will only show one podcast to download, even if there are 2 or 5 or 30 new episodes since the last time it was checked.

I haven't had a chance to try this work around for the work around until now, but I had the idea that setting iTunes to "Automatically Download: All" rather than the normal "none" might cause it to grab all episodes, even if they wouldn't be displayed in "My podcasts"...but nope. It's only grabbing one (not my definition of "all").

But...this is weird, this time the "My Podcasts" view DOES seem to be showing all new podcasts, despite me having done nothing differently (aside from allowing it to automatically download).

Huh? If I can get "My Podcasts" to display all new podcasts to manually download, that...is still much worse than the old lists view, but at least not completely non-functional.

As a work around I've also created a smart playlist that displays all played podcasts, giving me an idea of which ones to delete without having to click on every single podcast (although you can't delete them FROM the smart playlist, unfortunately).

Anyone know what seemingly caused that behavior in My Podcasts to change, that it's actually showing 2 new podcasts in one, 5 new in another, etc.?

Cole Slaw

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2006
Canada
This update appears to have fixed the issues I was having with iTunes 11.1 (deleting my back catalogue of podcasts, inability to hide old podcasts, iTunes locking up).
So far everything looks fine (no screwed up icons like some have reported).
The disc permissions issue remains, but at least with 11.1.1 I'm once again able to sync the iPhones and iPad in the house.

Wolfpup

macrumors 68030
Sep 7, 2006
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO WHOOOOOOOOOOOO!

I haven't tried it yet, but am installing!

I think a bunch of us reporting it worked, and Apple, thank you thank you thank you! I can't recall them responding to something so fast!

iPhone 5s, here I come! (Sorry Apple, I'm getting the s and not the c :-D )

TofSanity

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2010
i have updated but still doesn't work. it syncs yet it keeps downloading old podcasts. if i don't delete and then sync again iTunes downloads them again. i even listened to one that is old and it still won't stop downloading. what gives?

also, it just spins beach balls.
UPDATE: hmmm maybe it's working. it's still doing a quick download, kinda like on an iOS device, then it deletes them itself now. wonder if it was a server issue on Apple's side, since I didn't change any settings over the last few hours since the update.

Last edited:

Wolfpup

macrumors 68030
Sep 7, 2006
Still losing my back catalog of podcasts in 11.1.1 :(

What do you mean by that? You could always view all podcasts in a feed if you wanted to, is that what you mean?

Can't wait to try it tomorrow I soooo hope it's fixed for me!

netnothing

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 13, 2007
NH
So yes, looks like 11.1.1 fixed the Podcast list view so you don't have to see all old podcasts.

One really annoying change is the cloud download icon that is next to the Podcast name:

attachment.php

The old icon used to download ALL podcasts that were being shown in the list. Meaning if you remove old podcasts in the list, the download all button wouldn't download them.

Now it seems that if you hit that button....even if you aren't showing all podcasts, that it goes to download EVERY podcast that it can.

Really annoying because it's easy to accidentally hit that button.

-Kevin

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    16.5 KB · Views: 704

Wolfpup

macrumors 68030
Sep 7, 2006
So yes, looks like 11.1.1 fixed the Podcast list view so you don't have to see all old podcasts.

One really annoying change is the cloud download icon that is next to the Podcast name:

The old icon used to download ALL podcasts that were being shown in the list. Meaning if you remove old podcasts in the list, the download all button wouldn't download them.

Now it seems that if you hit that button....even if you aren't showing all podcasts, that it goes to download EVERY podcast that it can.

Really annoying because it's easy to accidentally hit that button.

-Kevin

Yep, I don't like the cloud icon anyway compared to the old icon, and the behavior is totally different. I don't understand it...it's incompetent. If you actually wanted to download all podcasts, you can still display them all, THEN hit the button. It's still like someone who's mucking about with this doesn't understand at all how you use podcasts. 99.9999999% would want the behavior that the button downloads NEW podcasts, with old podcasts still on a feed still accessible with an extra few clicks if you really want them :-/

EDIT: And yeah, it's visually confusing to scroll through the list and see that icon all over the place. Before you only saw the equivalent for NEW stuff, so you'd know "oh I need to download or look at this".

I'm considering turning the auto-download thing back on just so I don't have to look at that, although that grabs stuff I don't want, and I prefer making sure stuff's working.

netnothing

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 13, 2007
NH
Yep, I don't like the cloud icon anyway compared to the old icon, and the behavior is totally different. I don't understand it...it's incompetent. If you actually wanted to download all podcasts, you can still display them all, THEN hit the button. It's still like someone who's mucking about with this doesn't understand at all how you use podcasts. 99.9999999% would want the behavior that the button downloads NEW podcasts, with old podcasts still on a feed still accessible with an extra few clicks if you really want them :-/

I'm thinking (hoping) that this was a rush fix....and they forgot to change the cloud icon download all functionality.

-Kevin

Wolfpup

macrumors 68030
Sep 7, 2006
I'm thinking (hoping) that this was a rush fix....and they forgot to change the cloud icon download all functionality.

-Kevin

I hope so!

Do you think we should report this too? Compared to the other flaw this is minor, so I almost feel like just counting myself lucky, but still...

Kanunu

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2009
Hawaii
"Podcast Stations. You can now create custom stations of your favorite podcasts that update automatically with new episodes. Your stations, subscriptions, and current play position sync over iCloud to the Podcasts app."

The above is from Software Update. Notice that there is no reference to the problems that many have listed here but that have apparently been fixed. It looks to me like one of those corporate lawsuit announcements where there is "no admission of guilt."

Wolfpup

macrumors 68030
Sep 7, 2006
"Podcast Stations. You can now create custom stations of your favorite podcasts that update automatically with new episodes. Your stations, subscriptions, and current play position sync over iCloud to the Podcasts app."

The above is from Software Update. Notice that there is no reference to the problems that many have listed here but that have apparently been fixed. It looks to me like one of those corporate lawsuit announcements where there is "no admission of guilt."

I actually think I do remember reading the specific issue in an iTunes 11.1.1 update?

I keep forgetting to report the cloud icon issue. Soooooooooooo much better though, and I went ahead and bought a 5s last friday after the main problem was fixed.

Still harder to parse the list view than it should be with those cloud icons everywhere though.

Wolfpup

macrumors 68030
Sep 7, 2006
New problem...is anyone having trouble with iOS 7 and iTunes 11.1.1 syncing playback position when you plug the device in to your PC?

It's not syncing for me, and in fact it seems to reset my position back to the beginning.

Short of never playing the same podcast on more than one device, or switching to Thunderbird to manage podcasts, is there a work around?

There's a setting for the "podcasts" program to "sync subscriptions", but I'm not sure that helps anything. There's a "sync podcast subscriptions and settings" checkbox in itunes, but that inexplicably deletes most of one of my particular podcasts when I use it, every time I sync...just deletes dozens of one particular podcast.

Just tried syncing again with both on, and this time my iPod when back to 0, while iTunes stayed at the right place.

What the heck is going on? This is so frustrating, and it used to just work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.