Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jezinio

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 19, 2012
I've just heard that Bento is about to fade away.

I've used this app for a few years and found it perfect for catalogueing things - mainly music - on my iMac and then syncing the data with my iPhone. Does anyone have any suggestions for a replacement?

Many thanks

admwright

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2008
Scotland
All that is happening is that it is no longer being supported - you will still be able to use it. As for a replacement I am looking to get Filemaker (using the Bento discount) as I need more functionality than Bento is giving me just now.

Jezinio

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 19, 2012
That's true, but it's only a matter of time before it stops working. What discount is there on Filemaker?
My problem with FM is syncing with the iphone and ipad apps there doesn't seem to be a simple/cheap solution.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Filemaker is offering FileMaker Pro at a discount for Bento users at this link
http://info.filemaker.com/FMP_overview.html

Its much more powerful (though a bit more complicated) then bento. Its basically the only game in town at this point.

I've used a myriad of database products over the years and I have to say nothing compares to the ease of use and power of MS Access but alas its not available on OSX. That said you can set up some simple tables in FMP like you may have in bento, there's just a bit more of a learning curve

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.