Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

andrew78

macrumors member
May 4, 2013
I like how apple focuses on these kinds of updates, fixes, and optimizations. it's the advantage of focusing only on specific hardware

psycho bob

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2003
Leeds, England
As all my hard drives are now narcoleptic I am really hoping this update is released soon. I used to keep my Mac Pro on all the time but my drives don't just shut down they appear to cycle very quickly (probably as a result of the server functions and batch jobs attempting to access them). Unhealthy sounds result so I've just left it shut down. Fixes like this do seem to take a back seat now to iOS which is understandable economically but very frustrating.

andre.olive

macrumors newbie
Jan 5, 2010
I have a macbook pro retina display 15", mid 2012, 16 GB RAM memory and a ssd with 256 GB (from apple). I need to use an external drive, 1 TB (Iomega prestige portable drive), through USB 3, single partiton with Mac OS Extended Journaled format. Part of my "home" files are placed on this external drive, through a symlink on my "home" folder:

/Users/my_user/my_user_ext -> /Volumes/IOMEGA1TB/Users/my_user_ext

All my iTunes library, documents and pictures relies on the external drive, hence the drive is plugged almost 24x7.After 10.8.5 update, I'm facing the same issues described in so many threads on this and other forums.

In my case, the drive doesn't unmount at all. It shows in finder, as it were there, but if I try to go inside any folder, it freezes finder. If I try to "ls -al" a folder inside my external drive, through terminal, it freezes. I can't eject it, because, in disk utility, it fails to unmount with the message: <<*Eject Failed * The disk "OEM Ext Hard Disk Media" could not be unmounted. Make sure that all applications and files are closed on this disk. >>. Checking " lsof | grep <external volume name> ", there is not a single file on the drive being used/accessed by any process. If I try to reboot the computer it simply hangs on the grey screen, for hours if I let it waiting. To reboot it either I force the power off through power button or I manually unplug the external hard drive's usb 3 cable, making it shutdown "normally". If I also unplug the usb 3 cord from the system, without trying to reboot it, it makes finder and terminal return back to normality. Although it will show me << The disk was not ejected properly. If possible, always eject a disk before unplugging it or turning it off. >> At this point if I plug it back it will work fine till the next sleep.

While I was trying to solve this issue, I have already:
- checked and double checked the file system and hard drive (all ok);
- bought and installed a usb 3.0 powered hub;
- bought a new usb 3.0 micro A/B cable for my external hard drive;
- disconnected all my usb 2.0 flash men keys that were plugged (a lexar 8GB and a kingston 16 GB).

Nothing seemed to make it work properly.

Being reluctant to adopt the workaround described by many, to set the display to never sleep, it seems to be the only one available and I will have to adopt it till apple releases, what we are guessing to be a "possible fix", the OS X v10.8.5 Supplemental Update.

It's really disappointing for a very expensive computer (2370,00 EUR by the time I bought it on October 2012). Not to mention the issues I had with two apple's Thunderbolt to Firewire adapters which forced me to focus on usb 3 external drives. The first one was replaced on the first month and the second one which I used exporadically, stopped working a few weeks ago (less than a year using it).

ItWasNotMe

macrumors 6502
Dec 1, 2012
I like how apple focuses on these kinds of updates, fixes, and optimizations. it's the advantage of focusing only on specific hardware

I think you forgot the /End sarcasm

----------

As all my hard drives are now narcoleptic I am really hoping this update is released soon. I used to keep my Mac Pro on all the time but my drives don't just shut down they appear to cycle very quickly (probably as a result of the server functions and batch jobs attempting to access them). Unhealthy sounds result so I've just left it shut down. Fixes like this do seem to take a back seat now to iOS which is understandable economically but very frustrating.

Some people find setting the display sleep to Infinity (same time frame for this phone company to release some reliable software:D) is a work around

I find if you set display sleep to 3 hours it helps, anything greater than 3 hours is 'problematic':confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.