Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

jobs_1955_2011-250x189.jpg
With the second anniversary of Steve Jobs' death coming tomorrow, Apple CEO Tim Cook has sent a brief email to company employees reflecting on Jobs and the impact he continues to have on Cook and the company. The full email has been posted by 9to5Mac.
Team-

Tomorrow marks the second anniversary of Steve's death. I hope everyone will reflect on what he meant to all of us and to the world. Steve was an amazing human being and left the world a better place.

I think of him often and find enormous strength in memories of his friendship, vision and leadership. He left behind a company that only he could have built and his spirit will forever be the foundation of Apple. We will continue to honor his memory by dedicating ourselves to the work he loved so much. There is no higher tribute to his memory. I know that he would be proud of all of you.

Best,

Tim
In the weeks following Jobs' death, Apple invited fans to leave remembrances to be shared on the company's website and held a private celebration of his life for company employees. The company marked the first anniversary of his passing last year with a photo and audio slideshow and message from Tim Cook posted on the front page of apple.com.

Article Link: Tim Cook Sends Email to Apple Employees Reflecting on Second Anniversary of Steve Jobs' Death

longofest

Editor emeritus
Jul 10, 2003
Falls Church, VA
personally I know everyone has their own grieving timelines, etc.

But as a company I'd hope Apple starts looking forward. 1st anniversary of the death of Steve, sure, reflect. But I hope the 2nd is more muted... Love Steve and everything he brought, but Apple needs to focus on the future not the past.

Macinva

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2007
I can't believe it's been 2 years already. I never met the man but I truly miss his presence on stage. He's what really made Apple keynotes fun.

RIP sir. You're definitely missed.

Risco

macrumors 68000
Jul 22, 2010
United Kingdom
No matter how much money Apple makes, it will never be the same without Steve. I really miss his keynote speeches, he was such a brilliant presenter and full of passion. There was a warmth coming from the company while he was there, now it is just cold hard business.

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
After reading his biography, I was left with two impressions. One the genius that he was in terms of the asthetics and attention to detail that turned into the amazing products we have today. The second impression is that this obsession made him not a great man when it came to relationships, including his family and co-workers. Therefore I wonder about Tim's comment that he was a great friend. Obviously having never met the man I cannot really comment, but anyone reading his bio would surely at least raise an eyebrow at the "great friend comment."

appleii.c

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2013

But as a company I'd hope Apple starts looking forward. 1st anniversary of the death of Steve, sure, reflect. But I hope the 2nd is more muted... Love Steve and everything he brought, but Apple needs to focus on the future not the past.

I agree to a certain point with your comment, Everyone needs to move on at some point. But SJ was an icon, and to many people he IS (or was) Apple. He and Woz built the company and to many, if not for SJ and his visions, Apple would not be here today.

I'm a bit torn as I grew up on Apple. My first PC as a kid was a IIc, so as I do want to see them move forward, and the do NEED to move forward, I don't think Steve should ever be forgotten. It's a delicate balance.

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY
Therefore I wonder about Tim's comment that he was a great friend. Obviously having never met the man I cannot really comment, but anyone reading his bio would surely at least raise an eyebrow at the "great friend comment."

Just because you alienate people doesn't mean you can't also have friends. The world is not black and white - it's grey.

Many times you hear of someone living next to a someone who commits a huge crime, and they talk about how wonderful the person was in their interactions and how it didn't seem like that person could do that horrible thing.

I have people in my life who love me. I have people who hate me. I treat people I come in contact with differently. I'll hold the door open for someone, and I'll also yell a nasty word at someone who doesn't pay attention when I'm right behind them and doesn't hold a door for me. I'll be it was the same with Steve.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
After reading his biography, I was left with two impressions. One the genius that he was in terms of the asthetics and attention to detail that turned into the amazing products we have today. The second impression is that this obsession made him not a great man when it came to relationships, including his family and co-workers. Therefore I wonder about Tim's comment that he was a great friend. Obviously having never met the man I cannot really comment, but anyone reading his bio would surely at least raise an eyebrow at the "great friend comment."

I'm going to assume Steve wasn't a jerk all the time. And the people closest to him got to see a side of him that the public never did.

jll62

macrumors regular
Sep 2, 2009
Minneapolis, MN

Watch and listen Jony Ive's tribute to Steve at the Apple event celebrating his life and tell me that you're still going to raise an eyebrow at someone calling Steve a great friend. This is one of the most geniune tributes that you will ever see. It's so painfully obvious how close Ive was to Jobs that I don't question Cook when he says Jobs was a "great friend".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GnGI76__sSA

He was my closest and my most loyal friend. We worked together for nearly fifteen years and he still laughed at the way I say “aluminum”.

Arran

macrumors 601
Mar 7, 2008
Atlanta, USA
...but anyone reading his bio would surely at least raise an eyebrow at the "great friend comment."

Interesting thought. Although maybe he's using a different definition of 'friend'? Less of a cosy, best-buddy sort relationship and more of a tough but honest and respected professional relationship?

What did seem out of place in Tim's remarks was this:

I know that he would be proud of all of you.

From what I've read, Steve didn't do pride. Not outwardly, at least. Maybe internally - as a secret, guilty pleasure? My impression of him is an uncompromising perfectionist always trying to better his last effort. Not someone who'd wallow in one of the seven deadly sins.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC

What, exactly, would you consider "more muted" than an e-mail?

A company-wide iMessage?

gugy

macrumors 68040
Jan 31, 2005
La Jolla, CA

I don't think they are focusing on the past. Tim is just paying homage to his friend and remind Apple folks of his death anniversary. No big deal.

Steve has always been a source of inspiration and admiration in the Apple culture. If they do a small note every anniversary, that's completely fine and commendable IMO.

garnerx

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2012
They need to build the shrine and launch iReligion already.

Yeah, that is pretty cultish and a little bit weird.

When they build the circular campus thing, they can get everyone in the middle on the anniversary, bowing down and praying towards the direction of Steve's birthplace.

monkeybear0145

macrumors member
Sep 10, 2013
No matter how much money Apple makes, it will never be the same without Steve. I really miss his keynote speeches, he was such a brilliant presenter and full of passion. There was a warmth coming from the company while he was there, now it is just cold hard business.

Apple still has that personality with Jonny Ive, it's just more muted now

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.