Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kevaa777

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 3, 2013
Hello!

I have a second hand VW touran with a 30 pin cable comes out of the dashboard. If I plug my iPod/iPhone I can play the music form the car stereo by accessing the cd playack funcion. I can also switch songs from the car, however I cannot control the device once plugged.

I was wandering if I could replace the 30 pin male end with a 3.5 stereo male so that I can play music from any device. I am good at cutting and soldering but if I would cut the cable would I find the right and left audio? And if I did, would it work? I am sure that I wont be able to switch songs from the car but would it work?

Thanks, kevin

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Hello!

I have a second hand VW touran with a 30 pin cable comes out of the dashboard. If I plug my iPod/iPhone I can play the music form the car stereo by accessing the cd playack funcion. I can also switch songs from the car, however I cannot control the device once plugged.

I was wandering if I could replace the 30 pin male end with a 3.5 stereo male so that I can play music from any device. I am good at cutting and soldering but if I would cut the cable would I find the right and left audio? And if I did, would it work? I am sure that I wont be able to switch songs from the car but would it work?

Thanks, kevin

One end of the cable is 30 pins. The other is USB. There are only four wires in a USB cable ad none of them are analog audio. My bet is the cable has four not 30 conductors inside.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.