Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Disney is teaming up with NimbleBit, the developer behind free-to-play hits like Tiny Tower, Pocket Planes, and Pocket Trains to release a new title called Star Wars: Tiny Death Star.

As noted by our sister site TouchArcade, the game appears to combine Tiny Tower-style gameplay with the Star Wars universe. In Tiny Tower, the goal was to build up a tower filled with various businesses, collecting and managing resources to continue to expand.

tinydeathstar.jpg
The Empire needs your help! In collaboration with LucasArts and Tiny Tower creators NimbleBit, Disney Mobile introduces Star Wars(TM): Tiny Death Star(TM), a new game for mobile devices. Live life on the dark side and join Emperor Palpatine and Darth Vader on a mission to attract Galactic bitizens, run intergalactic businesses, and build an all-new Death Star. Construct unique Star Wars themed locations to attract iconic characters and species to your space station in this 8-bit style game. Star Wars: Tiny Death Star will soon be available worldwide.
Though there is no prospective release date included with the game's announcement, Disney says that it is coming soon, which could mean within the next week or two. Like other NimbleBit and Disney games, it will likely be free-to-play.

Article Link: NimbleBit and Disney to Team Up for 'Star Wars: Tiny Death Star'

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
[url=http://cdn.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png]Image[/url]

Disney is teaming up with Nimblebit, the developer behind free-to-play hits like Tiny Tower, Pocket Planes, and Pocket Trains to release a new title called Star Wars: Tiny Death Star.

As noted by our sister site TouchArcade, the game appears to combine Tiny Tower-style gameplay with the Star Wars universe. In Tiny Tower, the goal was to build up a tower filled with various businesses, collecting and managing resources to continue to expand.

Though there is no prospective release date included with the game's announcement, Disney says that it is coming soon, which could mean within the next week or two. Like other Nimblebit and Disney games, it will likely be free-to-play.

Article Link: Nimblebit and Disney to Team Up for 'Star Wars: Tiny Death Star'

I'm a big Star Wars fan and will no doubt get it, but who is the dude on the far right front row supposed to be? Not entirely sure who is behind R2D2 either! Is it a 2nd Ewok?

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
As an Angry Bird hater, I love that Star Wars is partnering with one of my favorite indie game developers Nimblebit.

tardegrade

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2009
Devon, UK.
... who is the dude on the far right front row supposed to be? Not entirely sure who is behind R2D2 either! Is it a 2nd Ewok?

I'm sure the guy on the right is a rebel commander (can't remember what film) and the guy behind R2 looks like it could be Lando's co-pilot in ROTJ when they fly the Millennium Falcon.

PeterQVenkman

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2005
Tiny Tower isn't even a game - it's a "press buttons and wait" freemium app. The art direction and stuff is wonderful, but holy smokes is this thing a waste of time.

dampfnudel

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
How about Star Trek? I'm tired of Angry Birds, but I would be all over a Star Trek version. Same with "Pocket Trek" if NimbleBit would release it.

KazKam

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2011
I'm a big Star Wars fan and will no doubt get it, but who is the dude on the far right front row supposed to be? Not entirely sure who is behind R2D2 either! Is it a 2nd Ewok?

I'm pretty sure the far right front row guy is one of the pig-faced technicians working on the carbonite freezer on Cloud City in Empire (A Ugnaught), and the one behind R2D2 is the bat-faced alien from the cantina in New Hope (A Chadra Fan, specifically Kabe).

Last edited:

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
How about Star Trek? I'm tired of Angry Birds, but I would be all over a Star Trek version. Same with "Pocket Trek" if NimbleBit would release it.

omg... Pocket Planes reskinned for different classes of Federation Starship... between star systems...

Ryth

macrumors 68000
Apr 21, 2011

Really?

That's a Ugnaught.

I mean I didn't even take a second glance at any of them...all are very obvious. The snout/beard gives it away.

----------

Um...wrong.

----------

I'm pretty sure the far right front row guy is one of the pig-faced technicians working on the carbonite freezer on Cloud City in Empire (A Ugnaught), and the one behind R2D2 is the bat-faced alien from the cantina in New Hope (A Chadra Fan, specifically Kabe).

Correct. That is Kabe.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Really?

That's a Ugnaught.

I mean I didn't even take a second glance at any of them...all are very obvious. The snout/beard gives it away.

----------

Um...wrong.

----------

Correct. That is Kabe.
Yes I could see it once Sleevewipe pointed it out. I was looking at it thinking it was like an old person with white hair! That would only fit Count Doko. I would not normally associate Ugnaught's with the Empire!

macrumors 6502a
Sep 29, 2013
Hyrule
I wish Star Trek pulled this many deals. Cause, you know, IT'S BETTER THAN STAR WARS :p:p:p
Yeah, I know, they're not very similar anyway.

Happy-Mac

macrumors member
Dec 12, 2012
Tiny Tower isn't even a game - it's a "press buttons and wait" freemium app. The art direction and stuff is wonderful, but holy smokes is this thing a waste of time.

Isn't that one of the defining purposes of a game, to waste time?

Also, it could be considered a tower simulator instead of a game, like the ones that flight student train in, except it would be for young building management students :-D

PeterQVenkman

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2005
Isn't that one of the defining purposes of a game, to waste time?

On some level, but most games at least teach you abstract thinking or complex mechanics.

Also, it could be considered a tower simulator instead of a game, like the ones that flight student train in, except it would be for young building management students :-D

But it simulates nothing. There is nothing to get better at. no consequences, no game over, no winning, no losing.

A good description I found on gamasutra:

I've always thought of these games more like "Dollhouses".
No game play (no consequences), just show.

With a fish tank your fish can die and then your interaction is basically over with. With Dollhouse "games" it's just show and wait to buy the next tea set. If you ignore your Dollhouse, it will still be there months later just as you left it.

This game is worse than Farmville. It doesn't have the social interaction of asking people to help harvest your crops. In Farmville, if you don't harvest crops things wither and die.

Tiny Tower just keeps on ticking. Asking for more and more of your time with absolutely no reward.

But the design.... the design is charming and extremely well executed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.