Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WestonHarvey1

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2007
This is par for the course with any new software product presentation. The stakes are almost never this high, is all.

I worked on a software product in the 90s that was demoed to a big customer while still in development. It worked well but was prone to sudden crashes. The guy who demoed the application simply opened about 5 windows on top of each other, so that if the one he was demoing crashed, it would just disappear showing the one behind it.

kobalap

macrumors 6502
Nov 30, 2009
True...No such thing as a final finished product during presentation...specially a brand new never before built by said company. Even presentation notes, slide shows are all changed in the last minute. Sometimes during the presentation. Thats some serious engineering or hacking feat that they did to make it all work so seemless...:p

In fact, knowing how not ready the product was, makes the presentation all the more remarkable.

The margin of error was basically zero for those guys. People who have never had to do a presentation + product demo will never know what was accomplished that day by that team.

dojoman

macrumors 68000
Apr 8, 2010
If it weren't for Original iPhone we'd still be carrying flip phones. Say what you will but iPhone is the one that started.

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
Yep, Apple never cheats on anything. :rolleyes:

That's not cheating. Lots of companies give demos using unfinished prototypes that might still be in early, unstable software releases.

Cheating would be if the demo looked flawless and then the delivered product, in your hands, was as crashy and unstable as described.

Cheating would be (as Microsoft was known to do), demoing a product, then telling your customers to hold off on their imminent purchase on, say, a Blackberry phone, because yours is "just around the corner" and will be so much better -- only to then delay it, or strip the final release of a lot of the features that were demo'd.

Mike MA

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2012
Germany
If you did those things in reverse, however, it might not. Hours of trial and error had helped the iPhone team develop what engineers called “the golden path,” a specific set of tasks, performed in a specific way and order, that made the phone look as if it worked.

This probably explains why Steve had that piece of paper lying above the iPhone which he occasionally seemed to reference.

But nevertheless a great keynote by him, especially when knowing about the difficulties and he still was insisting on a live performance. Pretty cool!

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY
Out company creates web sites. I can't tell you how many clients come to us wanting a web site, and in the presentation of 'why they should choose us' we show them a mock up of a website for them. It looks gorgeous. It might show current weather (hard-coded to 72 degrees and sunny), tweets (pulled the day before cut-and-pasted in), or like us facebook buttons (that don't work - are just images).

The iPhone presentation was a DEMO, and corners are cut. Same as when our company does DEMOS. The final product better work and not use smoke and mirrors is all though.

Last edited by a moderator:

slapppy

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2008
In fact, knowing how not ready the product was, makes the presentation all the more remarkable.

The margin of error was basically zero for those guys. People who have never had to do a presentation + product demo will never know what was accomplished that day by that team.

Haha...so true. I won't give away who I worked for, since the new "Gods" there are *******s... I remember doing 24 hours consecutive days and sleeping behind stage many times... I miss those crazy days when I was young! :)

bchery21

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2009
Boston, MA
Jobs appeared very excited to showcase the iPhone, not an ounce of nervousness on his face. According to this article so much should of gone wrong...

rei101

macrumors 6502a
Dec 24, 2011
Well, Apple cheats at their presentations but delivers a great product.

Microsoft delivers their products totally incomplete!

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
If it weren't for Original iPhone we'd still be carrying flip phones. Say what you will but iPhone is the one that started.

I doubt it. Yes, Apple was the one that started it. But if it wasn't Apple, it would have been someone else. Palm maybe - look at the Treo smartphone, given a few more generations of product development, it would have essentially become the same thing.

A lot of the Apple faithful (I am carefully avoiding the use of another f-word) seem to think that if not for the Macintosh in 1984, we'd all still be using monochrome CRTs and typing in DOS commands. Like nobody else on the planet would possibly have invented a graphical windowing operating system if Apple hadn't done it. But that's simply not true. If Henry Ford Karl Benz hadn't invented the car, do you think we'd still all be riding horses and carriages, or might someone else have come up with the idea?

Last edited:

Tones2

macrumors 65816
Jan 8, 2009
That's not cheating. Lots of companies give demos using unfinished prototypes that might still be in early, unstable software releases.

Cheating would be if the demo looked flawless and then the delivered product, in your hands, was as crashy and unstable as described.

Cheating would be (as Microsoft was known to do), demoing a product, then telling your customers to hold off on their imminent purchase on, say, a Blackberry phone, because yours is "just around the corner" and will be so much better -- only to then delay it, or strip the final release of a lot of the features that were demo'd.

It's definitely a gray area to me. Presenting a demo that represents a flawlessly working product when in fact that flawlessness is staged and the product cannot operate like that currently does ring ofdeceipt to me, whether it's common practice or not. If Apple wa upfront and just say "this is a protype" and not working excatly correctly but will with the final product, that would be more truthful. I' not sure if the final product actually operated exactly like the demo, but if it did I guess then it was OK. But still...

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
Presenting a demo that represents a flawlessly working product when in fact that flawlessness is staged and the product cannot operate like that currently does ring ofdeceipt to me, whether it's common practice or not. If Apple wa upfront and just say "this is a protype" and not working excatly correctly but will with the final product, that would be more truthful. I' not sure if the final product actually operated exactly like the demo, but if it did I guess then it was OK. But still...

The article mentions "no plan B" but what you just said is exactly what would have happened if the prototype had crashed. Steve would have just said "Well, it's a prototype", everyone chuckles, the keynote goes on. It has certainly happened before.

kobalap

macrumors 6502
Nov 30, 2009
Jobs appeared very excited to showcase the iPhone, not an ounce of nervousness on his face. According to this article so much should of gone wrong...

Magicians do this all the time.

----------

It's definitely a gray area to me. Presenting a demo that represents a flawlessly working product when in fact that flawlessness is staged and the product cannot operate like that currently does ring ofdeceipt to me, whether it's common practice or not. If Apple wa upfront and just say "this is a protype" and not working excatly correctly but will with the final product, that would be more truthful. I' not sure if the final product actually operated exactly like the demo, but if it did I guess then it was OK. But still...

He showed you a vision of what you would get in your hands in 6 months.

And that was exactly what you got 6 months later. He did not promise you anything he did not deliver.

OriginalMacRat

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2007
What's interesting in this story is Jobs and Ive originally wanted an all aluminum phone, until engineers brought them back to reality. Makes you wonder if their original vision could have been something like the HTC One...

iPhone 5

aardwolf

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2007
I remember giving a presentation to a room full of the highest people at FedEx Services. The highest people at the table reported directly to Fred Smith. The software we were working on was just a bit glitchy, although we had worked out most of the bugs. At the very last minute, my VP made me develop slides with screenshots vs. giving a live demo.

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
I doubt it. Yes, Apple was the one that started it. But if it wasn't Apple, it would have been someone else. Palm maybe - look at the Treo smartphone, given a few more generations of product development, it would have essentially become the same thing.

A lot of the Apple faithful (I am carefully avoiding the use of another f-word) seem to think that if not for the Macintosh in 1984, we'd all still be using monochrome CRTs and typing in DOS commands. Like nobody else on the planet would possibly have invented a graphical windowing operating system if Apple hadn't done it. But that's simply not true. If Henry Ford hadn't invented the car, do you think we'd still all be riding horses and carriages, or might someone else have come up with the idea?

henry ford didn't invent the car
he started to mass produce it on an assembly line instead of custom building it. cars had been around for almost 50 years before the model-t ford came out

Tones2

macrumors 65816
Jan 8, 2009

Oh come on. Before the iPhone was even conceived, I had many smart phones with touch screens, apps, storage, etc. In fact, when I listened to this first Apple smartphone presentation, I was actually underwhelmed - the first iPhone could NOT run any 3rd party apps, no customization at all and had no 3G, three things that were REALLY important at the time.

I think I had an HTC Tilt (or Tilt 2) at the time of the iPhone 1 anouncement, and it had a FULLY CUSTOMIZABLE, Microsoft OS, a touch screen, 3G, could run 3rd party apps purchased from various vendors, a replaceable battery, file system and Micro-sd storage (not 100% sure about the latter). The iPhone to me seemed pretty old school at the time. What it DID have was a wonderful MULTI-TOUCH screen which no one had. That was the only thing revolutionary about the otherwise ho-hum iPhone 1. Now the iPhone 3G is where it got interesting and is what sold me initially to the iPhone, although the initial OS on the iPhone 3G crashed like crazy and bricked a LOT of phones for the first month or so. After that it was fine, though.

Last edited:

err404

macrumors 68030
Mar 4, 2007
Honestly this isn't unusual. Developers are expected to provide demos of unfinished products all the time. All they had to do was follow a script that was known to work, and cross their fingers that the radio stayed online. if the radio failed, they could have jumped to a video demo while a fresh device was brought on-stage. I assume they had several devices on stand-by just in case.

/dev/toaster

macrumors 68020
Feb 23, 2006
San Francisco, CA

A lot of the Apple faithful (I am carefully avoiding the use of another f-word) seem to think that if not for the Macintosh in 1984, we'd all still be using monochrome CRTs and typing in DOS commands. Like nobody else on the planet would possibly have invented a graphical windowing operating system if Apple hadn't done it. But that's simply not true. If Henry Ford hadn't invented the car, do you think we'd still all be riding horses and carriages, or might someone else have come up with the idea?

Apple did what Palm had tried for many years. Carriers would NOT allow customers to download apps unless the developer paid a heavy license fee. They also customized the hell out of every single phone. Most of the time it was to cripple it or add their own hideous red interfaces. (Looking at you Verizon)

Sure, someone would have cracked it in time. All in all, Apple did what others had failed to so many times over.

Look at Microsoft and tablets. They tried forever to make a tablet that worked. Apple created the magic recipe for everyone to follow.

elistan

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2007
Denver/Boulder, CO
Such an awesome device. I'm glad I still have mine. I even have my iOS 7 home screen layout modeled after iOS 1 through 3, since it's what I was used to for so long.

Attachments

• IMG_0279 (598x800).jpg
    IMG_0279 (598x800).jpg
    223.8 KB · Views: 314

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Oh come on. Before the iPhone was even conceived, I had many smart phones with touch screens, apps, storage, etc. In fact, when I listened to this first Apple smartphone presentation, I was actually underwhelmed - the first iPhone could NOT run any 3rd party apps, no customization at all and had no 3G, three things that were REALLY important at the time.

I think I had an HTC Tilt (or Tilt 2) at the time of the iPhone 1 anouncement, and it had a FULLY CUSTOMIZABLE, Microsoft OS, a touch screen, 3G and could run 3rd party apps purchased from various vendors, a replaceable battery, file system and Micro-sd storage (not 100% sure about the latter). The iPhone to me seemed pretty old school at the time. What it DID have was a wonderful MULTI-TOUCH screen which no one had. That was the only thing revolutionary about the otherwise ho-hum iPhone 1. Now the iPhone 3G is where it got interesting and is what sold me initially to the iPhone, although the initial OS on the iPhone 3G crashed like crazy and bricked a LOT of phones for the first month or so. After that it was fine, though.

Yep multi touch was the game changer. Looking back on it it's amazing all the "smart" festures the original iPhone didn't have.

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
What it DID have was a wonderful MULTI-TOUCH screen which no one had. That was the only thing revolutionary about the otherwise ho-hum iPhone 1.

And the OS.
And the web browser.
And the reduction of carrier control.
And the iTunes integration.
And...

kobalap

macrumors 6502
Nov 30, 2009
Apple did what Palm had tried for many years. Carriers would NOT allow customers to download apps unless the developer paid a heavy license fee. They also customized the hell out of every single phone. Most of the time it was to cripple it or add their own hideous red interfaces. (Looking at you Verizon)

Sure, someone would have cracked it in time. All in all, Apple did what others had failed to so many times over.

Look at Microsoft and tablets. They tried forever to make a tablet that worked. Apple created the magic recipe for everyone to follow.

I had a palm treo before i had an iPhone 1. No one will ever convince me that someone else had the smart phone figured out before Apple did.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.