Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hail Caesar

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2013
My wife has a 4S and I have a 5, and the colors are about the same although the 5 looks a touch more vibrant.

corvus32

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2009
USA
If you can't tell any difference between the iPhone 5's display and the 4/4S, either you need to have your eyes examined, you got a defective phone (highly unlikely), or you're just ßull****ting.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6330/the-iphone-5-review/15

The high level story is the same though, the iPhone 5 tracks closer to the ideal than any of the other devices.

eVL8gvot

http://www.displaymate.com/Smartphone_ShootOut_2.htm

The color quality and color accuracy have improved substantially. The iPhone 5 received a Color Gamut and Factory Display Calibration upgrade similar to the new iPad. While it’s not quite as accurate as the Excellent calibration on the new iPad, it is still Very Good and probably more accurate than any consumer display you own (including your HDTV), unless you have a new iPad.

MewTech

macrumors member
Apr 6, 2012
If you can't tell any difference between the iPhone 5's display and the 4/4S, either you need to have your eyes examined, you got a defective phone (highly unlikely), or you're just ßull****ting.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6330/the-iphone-5-review/15

http://www.displaymate.com/Smartphone_ShootOut_2.htm

I can make a table of numbers too you know. :)
I still think retina and non-retina screens look the same. I know that it "technically" looks better. But that technicality is very slight.

itsmemuffins

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2010
Retina and non Retina displays look the same?

HAAAHAAAAAHAAAAA!!! HAAHAHAHAAAAHHAHAHAAAAA!!!!

*catches breath*

HAAAAHAHAAAAAHAHAHAHHAAAA!!! HAAAAHAHAHAAAHAHAHAHAAA!!!!

*rolls on the ground in agony from laughing too much*

:cool:

RJCP

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2011
Very glad I found this topic. My iphone 5 is 3 weeks old and I've noticed the interlacing since day 1. It's an F2 serial number manufactures in Dec. 2012.

I didn't bring the subject up because I thought it may have been due to the display being bigger or something like that, but yesterday I went to my local Apple Store and none of the display units exhibited the interlacing (nor did my 4S, for that matter).

I'm a bit reluctant to exchange it. Have people kind of isolated the problem to a specific serial no. already? As far as I can read its mainly an F2 issue, but my partner's phone is a DN and has the same problem.

Covent Garden geniuses are usually very attentive and won't raise issues with exchanging phones, but my question is how accommodating they'd be if we needed to go through several replacement phones on the spot until we found one without problems.

Plus, there are also 3 spots of dust under the lens glass...
Any advice?

BuGjAE

macrumors newbie
Jun 20, 2011
Today i'm going to recieve the replacement iphone5. (My country need to wait for a replacement iphone)
The serial i got is start with DN and have the interlacing issue.The oldone before replace is C7 and it is a perfect screen for me.:mad:
very disappoint
So i have to wait to see the another replacement iphone and hope they won't
give me a faulty screen again!

bigcstyle4

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2012
I stopped actively looking for scan lines whenever I use the phone and I barely notice it anymore. I just got tired of exchanging phones and honestly the colors, tint, etc are all good on this screen.

samven582

macrumors 6502a
Jan 2, 2009
I stopped actively looking for scan lines whenever I use the phone and I barely notice it anymore. I just got tired of exchanging phones and honestly the colors, tint, etc are all good on this screen.

Apple is pathetic. I can believe this problem still exist :mad:

bigcstyle4

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2012
They don't manufacture the screens but I wish they would stop buying them from whoever is making these flawed ones. They have about 3 different sources for LCDs. This has been ongoing since at least the 3GS, on which some screens had horizontal scan lines.

11bE5

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2012
Spokane Wa
I completely agree I had scan lines on my last two emplacements had them swap it out again to get as term that finally didn't have the issue but had this issue instead
yga7uqyg.jpg

backlight bleeding which makes the whites really bright in that left corner and black background is out rid the question because all I can se is a yellow tint

ebegegy6.jpg

zybersniper

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2013
I completely agree I had scan lines on my last two emplacements had them swap it out again to get as term that finally didn't have the issue but had this issue instead Image
backlight bleeding which makes the whites really bright in that left corner and black background is out rid the question because all I can se is a yellow tint

Try to use it for a day or two and it might go away. Sometimes it has to do with the glue they use to fuse the touch panel and the LCD together. This also happened to a New iPad i exchanged and the issue cleared itself overnight.

They don't manufacture the screens but I wish they would stop buying them from whoever is making these flawed ones. They have about 3 different sources for LCDs. This has been ongoing since at least the 3GS, on which some screens had horizontal scan lines.

Regarding Apple and LCDs, you should go take a look at the Macbook Air LG vs Samsung lottery. It's even more nerve wrecking than the iPhone issues as the LCD on the iPhone is relatively small.

Jason B

macrumors 6502
May 21, 2010
I replaced a cracked screen in my phone (5), with a oem screen from another iphone 5. I have, very faint vertical lines on it, almost hard to see. Very faint. Just wondering if there is anything I should re-check, or something I may be able to reseat or tweak to get rid of them??? I did the install and have many times before. It seems some iphone come with way with these ever s faint lines.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.