Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ahwhite83

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 15, 2007
I bought a Mid 2011 MacBook Air from CraigsList. I traded my unlocked iPhone 5 and added $250 for the Air, I am upgrading to the 5S so I saw it as a fair deal. Before giving the money to the seller, I checked it out in Starbucks, where we had met. It connected online and everything seemed fine. I gave the money and we went our separate ways. I didn't get a bad vibe at all and he appeared to know his stuff, Apple-wise. When I got home and connected to my wifi, the computer rebooted and a iCloud lock screen appeared. Given the harsh word expressed on the screen, I can easily tell that this MacBook was stolen.

Before this happened, it booted up just fine. But now, I get the iCloud 4 digit pin lock screen. And the EFI lock whenever I try to boot using a external drive or thumb by pressing the option button. I took the MacBook to the Apple store and explained my case, and they said they couldn't help. Since I am not the original owner, I do not have proof of purchase. So, they can not send it to their engineers to fix bring it back to original factory settings. I then asked about the original owner, is there a way I can find out who he or she is so they can get their stuff back? The Apple "Genius" told me that I should just take it to the police station to see if it is reported stolen. I am not going to the cops. I tried telling Apple and thought they could be of some help, but they weren't. I even asked if they could contact the registered owner or something and the guy just said take it to the cops.

I refuse to have given away my precious iPhone and $250 of my earned cash for a beautiful paperweight. So, after doing some research I think I found a solution and would like some verification to know if it would work.

If I removed the SSD and use a enclosure to connect to another Mac as an external drive to wipe it completely clean and install a brand new OSX. And then reinstall it on the Air, and use a brute force technique with a Teensy USB Development Board....wouldn't that solve everything???

Acorn

macrumors 68030
Jan 2, 2009
macrumors
you even said yourself the laptop was stolen given the text that appeared on the screen. no one is going to help you hack this system to make it yours when everyone knows it was stolen. do the right thing and bring it to the police.

legenik

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2013
Mac air

you can change the hard Drive and download the IOs one more time and you will be good to go

KiwiAdventure

Suspended
Dec 7, 2010
New Zealand
you can change the hard Drive and download the IOs one more time and you will be good to go

That sucks you telling him that. It should be handed into the Police or Apple should have taken the air and contacted the Police. Who is to know this guy is telling the truth it could be a scam just to find out how to unlock the air. I hope the serial number blocks what ever he tries when he hocks up to Apple.
Do the right thing and handed it into the Police also give the police the phone number of the guy you purchased off.:mad:

dyk95112

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2014
That sucks you telling him that. It should be handed into the Police or Apple should have taken the air and contacted the Police. Who is to know this guy is telling the truth it could be a scam just to find out how to unlock the air. I hope the serial number blocks what ever he tries when he hocks up to Apple.
Do the right thing and handed it into the Police also give the police the phone number of the guy you purchased off.:mad:

Not really. More info better. Also understanding regarding EFI better. The boot sequence is prime target for espionage. Whoever gets to boot first can take over the machine. The whole EFI story is highly suspect. You can hardly find boot any media around and many laptops don't even have cdrom drives. Users ought to be able to choose what software runs on their hardware. There ought to be publicly available boot images. Battery and hard drive (non-volatile storage) ought to be user serviceable. We woke up in gang predator land USA and computers are prime targets. The phones are toast. We need to turn the tide towards humanity people.

jthmacbook

macrumors newbie
May 17, 2014
I bought a Mid 2011 MacBook Air from CraigsList. I traded my unlocked iPhone 5

I would report your iPhone 5 stolen to your airtime carrier and get the IMEI blocked which turns the phone into a paperweight as well :)

I assume that this happens in the U.S., it is standard to do this now in the U.K. and most of Europe

Jeff

dyk95112

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2014
I would report your iPhone 5 stolen to your airtime carrier and get the IMEI blocked which turns the phone into a paperweight as well :)

I assume that this happens in the U.S., it is standard to do this now in the U.K. and most of Europe

Jeff

Hmm, divisive. It's not just coincidence that these threads are crawling with trolls (predators of humanity). In my opinion EFI is way too vulnerable target for espionage. What happened to the boot monitor? Been around since the beginning of the computer. EFI would be a joke if it weren't so serious.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.