Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Camoxide

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 6, 2013
England
I mean 16GB is just too small now a days. I'm pretty happy with my iPhone 5 but I regret getting 16GB. I don't buy apps anymore because I just haven't got the room for them. Which means Apple is potentially missing out on money.
Surely it makes sense to make 32GB standard (and introduce a 128GB version) by now? The iPhone has had 16GB as standard since the 3GS.
Apps are getting bigger, photos and videos are taking up more room but the storage has stayed the same.
Heck my Nokia N96 came with 16GB and that came out in 2008!
Usually the "cheap"(last years) iPhone gets a 8GB version but this year with the iPhone 5C the cheap version gets 16GB standard.

On the estimated BOM the 5S is actually $9 cheaper to make than the 5 was at the time
http://www.isuppli.com/Teardowns/News/Pages/iPhone5-Carries-$199-BOM-Virtual-Teardown-Reveals.aspx

http://www.isuppli.com/Teardowns/Ne...-Manufacturing-Cost-IHS-Teardown-Reveals.aspx
Were they could have easily doubled the storage and kept the BOM the same :/

Which leads to the question. Do you think Apple will shell out the extra $9 and make 32GB standard for the iPhone 6?

Last edited:

LostSoul80

macrumors 68020
Jan 25, 2009
They are pushing on cloud services, although competitors will probably make a difference.
In my opinion, they will keep the 16 GB option.

dave420

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2010
I hope so. I am mad they didn't do it for the 5S. I seem to be in the minority though. Most posters here say they don't want more storage. They want more RAM, bigger screens, better cameras, but people swear up and down they don't want Apple to increase the base storage size.

Camoxide

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 6, 2013
England
They are pushing on cloud services, although competitors will probably make a difference.
In my opinion, they will keep the 16 GB option.

But cloud services aren't very useful to people with limited data allowances and patchy 3G coverage.

dave420

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2010
But cloud services aren't very useful to people with limited data allowances and patchy 3G coverage.
Or people with a lot of pictures. None of the Apple cloud services can be used to archive my pictures for later viewing right on the phone. Heck to even backup my 64 GB phone to iCloud costs $100 a year for 50 GB, but that is a topic for another thread.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
I mean 16GB is just too small now a days.

A lot of people are quite happy with 16GB, so I don't expect we'll see it change soon. Maybe in 2-3 years, especially if no other smartphones are sold with 16GB.

I suspect what you really want is a lower cost for the 32GB and higher versions. ;)

Camoxide

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 6, 2013
England
A lot of people are quite happy with 16GB, so I don't expect we'll see it change soon. Maybe in 2-3 years, especially if no other smartphones are sold with 16GB.

I suspect what you really want is a lower cost for the 32GB and higher versions. ;)

Honest most people I know with 16GB iPhones wish they got the 32GB. Guess it's because no one really uses cloud based services round here.

I think it'd be more reasonable to ask Apple to make 32GB standard rather than drop the price of 32GB. Apple don't do price drops. In fact they raised their prices with the iPhone 5S.
Besides they need to make room for the 128GB version.

Doc Evils

macrumors regular
Mar 4, 2011
My understanding is that the 128gb options requires two chips instead of one that would require more physical space.

Aucun Express

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2009
The 16GB version is too popular for Apple to stop making it.
Most people I know have the 16GB version, even though they always complain that the storage is too small. But since the iPhone is so damn expensive, many customers buy the 16GB model in order to "save" a little.

chrisaster

macrumors regular
Feb 17, 2013
I hope they do - on the iPads at least!

As pictures are getting better qualty and so is music, they just take up so much more space

Tthomas612

macrumors 65816
Aug 24, 2013
I mean 16GB is just too small now a days. I'm pretty happy with my iPhone 5 but I regret getting 16GB. I don't buy apps anymore because I just haven't got the room for them. Which means Apple is potentially missing out on money.
Surely it makes sense to make 32GB standard (and introduce a 128GB version) by now? The iPhone has had 16GB as standard since the 3GS.
Apps are getting bigger, photos and videos are taking up more room but the storage has stayed the same.
Heck my Nokia N96 came with 16GB and that came out in 2008!
Usually the "cheap"(last years) iPhone gets a 8GB version but this year with the iPhone 5C the cheap version gets 16GB standard.

On the estimated BOM the 5S is actually $9 cheaper to make than the 5 was at the time
http://www.isuppli.com/Teardowns/News/Pages/iPhone5-Carries-$199-BOM-Virtual-Teardown-Reveals.aspx

http://www.isuppli.com/Teardowns/Ne...-Manufacturing-Cost-IHS-Teardown-Reveals.aspx
Were they could have easily doubled the storage and kept the BOM the same :/

Which leads to the question. Will Apple shell out the extra $9 and make 32GB standard for the iPhone 6?

For some a 16 Gb phone is enough. Some people doesn't want 32 GB or 64 for that matter. Personally I have a 32, but I can understand the reasoning behind 16 gb.

And just FYI the iPhone 5c is not the cheap iPhone. It's a standard of 16 gb yes, but the entry level iPhone is the 4s and it has a 8gb only. Only the mid level and flagship has 16 gb options which is the iPhone. 5c and 5s respectively.

Col Ronson

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2008
Or people with a lot of pictures. None of the Apple cloud services can be used to archive my pictures for later viewing right on the phone. Heck to even backup my 64 GB phone to iCloud costs $100 a year for 50 GB, but that is a topic for another thread.

Flickr has 10gb free photo storage. Google drive gives you 15gb. Dropbox gives u 2gb. Plenty of cloud options.

You have a smartphone, an iPhone to be exact. Time to find some LTE coverage, it comes with the territory.

Honest most people I know with 16GB iPhones wish they got the 32GB. Guess it's because no one really uses cloud based services round here.

I think it'd be more reasonable to ask Apple to make 32GB standard rather than drop the price of 32GB. Apple don't do price drops. In fact they raised their prices with the iPhone 5S.
Besides they need to make room for the 128GB version.

i know plenty of people happy with 8GB ip4s. the 16gb is only useless if you put media on it. Unless you're putting all the grand theft autos on your phone along with the newest games, 16gb is enough for lots and lots of apps.

Besides, most android phones come with 16gb or less standard, albeit u can stick a SD card in there and expand it.

--------------------
i have 32GB, but only because i drive a lot and there will be spotty coverage sometimes when streaming music from iTunes match. But even then, i only have my favorite artists on there and the rest of my 19k songs i stream from the cloud. Same thing with movies and tv shows, got a lot of them stored on my google drive.

the $70 tmobile unlimited data w/LTE works wonders :)

McBeats

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2007
erf
God I hope so....

But since the cloud services Apple has been getting away with not needing to up the ante.

But for heaven's sake, it's been 6 years since they introduced the new iPhone base models at 16GB.

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
I mean 16GB is just too small now a days.

Speak for yourself. If lots of people weren't still buying 16GB models, I wouldn't still be waiting on mine. I'm currently using an 8GB 3Gs which still has nearly 1 GB of free space on it. I don't need to carry a lot of media on my phone.

Camoxide

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 6, 2013
England
Flickr has 10gb free photo storage. Google drive gives you 15gb. Dropbox gives u 2gb. Plenty of cloud options.

You have a smartphone, an iPhone to be exact. Time to find some LTE coverage, it comes with the territory.

i know plenty of people happy with 8GB ip4s. the 16gb is only useless if you put media on it. Unless you're putting all the grand theft autos on your phone along with the newest games, 16gb is enough for lots and lots of apps.

Besides, most android phones come with 16gb or less standard, albeit u can stick a SD card in there and expand it.

--------------------
i have 32GB, but only because i drive a lot and there will be spotty coverage sometimes when streaming music from iTunes match. But even then, i only have my favorite artists on there and the rest of my 19k songs i stream from the cloud. Same thing with movies and tv shows, got a lot of them stored on my google drive.

the $70 tmobile unlimited data w/LTE works wonders :)

You only get 3G if you're in a city in southwest england. LTE still isn't here yet and isn't supported by the iPhone 5 on the UKs biggest network (works on other networks though)

Games will easily chomp through storage data. Music is the biggest space hog for me. I can't stream because it'd eat through my data allowance far too quickly.
Even normal apps can start taking up a fair bit of space. Facebook takes up 150MB, Instragram nearly 100MB. It adds up.
I'd love to be able to put a film or two on the phone but. No room haha.

----------

The above suggests Camoxide is not in the US, and may be in Australia. The Tmobile plan probably isn't offered there but I've not researched it. Without a location set in his profile its easy to assume he's in the US.

UK. (updated my profile now)

Contracts are a bit different here. Most flagship phones are on 2 year contracts but the phone is usually free although they're more expensive on the monthly payments. Mid phones are usually on shorter contracts and have a lower monthly payment.
However iPhone contracts have a big premium over other phone contracts so it's common for people to buy the phone outright from Apple and then go on a sim only contract.

----------

My understanding is that the 128gb options requires two chips instead of one that would require more physical space.

You can get 128GB chips now

Which the iPad probably uses because the logic board is also tiny
http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/iPad+4+Wi-Fi+Teardown/11462/1

d123

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2009
Earth
You only get 3G if you're in a city in southwest england. LTE still isn't here yet and isn't supported by the iPhone 5 on the UKs biggest network (works on other networks though)

FYI the biggest network in the UK does offer LTE on the iPhone 5 (when Orange and T-Mobile merged, EE became the biggest UK network).
----------

Camoxide

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 6, 2013
England
Yes. It's been confirmed.

giphy.gif

ABC5S

Suspended
Sep 10, 2013
Florida
Just before every release of a new iPhone, someone asks if Apple will drop the 16 GB entry and people reply that they should, but by the time it is released, the same old 16 GB entry storage is still there.

PS: No one knows for sure until it happens. See you next September 2014

Col Ronson

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2008

Games will easily chomp through storage data. Music is the biggest space hog for me. I can't stream because it'd eat through my data allowance far too quickly.
Even normal apps can start taking up a fair bit of space. Facebook takes up 150MB, Instragram nearly 100MB. It adds up.
I'd love to be able to put a film or two on the phone but. No room haha.

ah didn't realize youre in england. boy am i clueless lol. you could always get that crappy 3 plan with unlimited data? i mean its not a crap plan its just that 3 service sucks lol (at least from experience).

i mean we can all hope they discontinue the 16gb and make room for the 32gb as baseline, but i dont think apple will. Like i said, most other smartphones have 16gb as standard, and i think for the casual user 16gb is plenty. For us power users, then we'll have to fork up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.