Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WillFisher

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 19, 2011
Hi guys, so I'm looking into getting a new backup drive, I currently have a 500GB WD drive that I got around 5 years ago, and now that I have my new MBA, there isn't enough storage capacity on it for it and my Mac Mini, so I was thinking about a Time Capsule.
Issue is, its very expensive, and being a student I was looking at cheaper, non-apple alternatives.

Looking at non-wireless there are tonnes I have my eye on for around £80, but then I found the new WD My Cloud. Now this My Cloud is a 2TB Wireless drive for around £119.99. I wouldn't mind paying the extra £40 for wireless and same storage size, but what I'd like to know is this:

Can the My Cloud, Or any non-apple wireless drive backup more than 1 computer? Because if I could get my MBA and Mac Mini backup on the one drive using Time Machine, and having no need to remember to backup, that would be a big plus for me.

Thanks!

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Can the My Cloud, Or any non-apple wireless drive backup more than 1 computer? Because if I could get my MBA and Mac Mini backup on the one drive using Time Machine, and having no need to remember to backup, that would be a big plus for me.

Thanks!

Yes, Time Machine will do backups to the same disk for multiple machines.

drsox

macrumors 68000
Apr 29, 2011
Xhystos
Hi guys, so I'm looking into getting a new backup drive, I currently have a 500GB WD drive that I got around 5 years ago, and now that I have my new MBA, there isn't enough storage capacity on it for it and my Mac Mini, so I was thinking about a Time Capsule.
Issue is, its very expensive, and being a student I was looking at cheaper, non-apple alternatives.

Looking at non-wireless there are tonnes I have my eye on for around £80, but then I found the new WD My Cloud. Now this My Cloud is a 2TB Wireless drive for around £119.99. I wouldn't mind paying the extra £40 for wireless and same storage size, but what I'd like to know is this:

Thanks!

If you don't want versioning, then you can use CarbonCopyCloner and just point it to two different shares on the 2TB drive. As I don't use Time Capsule, I find that Time Machine doesn't work very well with my NAS units. You might find that Time Machine will also have a problem with the WD My Cloud. (Problem is that after a while TM loses synch and has to start again from the beginning).

twoehr

macrumors member
Jul 3, 2013
East Coast US
I use a WD My Book NAS with TimeMachine. It works reasonably well enough that I continue to use it, but I couldn't recommend it. In short it was difficult to setup, WD's instructions are lacking in the extreme. They tell you how to turn on Time Machine, but not how to enable the My Book to be a target, duh! It also seems to be running all the time, backs up slowly, and needs to be rebooted monthly.

When the time comes to replace it I'll get a Time Capsule, although they aren't perfect either. To me it will be cost effective as it will be a wifi router upgrade too.

I would look for someone who has this new WD model and has had success using it with Time Machine. Either way be prepared to allow time to setup and confirm it works the way you want before the return policy ends.

Good luck and tell us how you make out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.