Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

imaginex20

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 17, 2009
Background:

For awhile now my GF has told me her iPhone 5 battery has been wacky lately. When charged to say 97% and like 30 mins later or so it would show 67%. Sometimes at say 56% and plugging it in to charge it shows 30%.

At Apple Genius Appointment:

Told the "Genius" my problem. He first took out sim card and saw the sensor was triggered. I told him that couldn't be this phone was never dropped in water. He said well it was exposed to water. I told him to take it in the back and check all the other sensors and they were OK. But since this sensor was triggered I could not get my phone serviced under warranty. I was pretty pissed...The only time this phone would have gotten exposed to water is due to humidity. Sometimes the phone would be taken in the bathroom while taking showers.

I just don't understand this stupid policy. If I was living in a humid environment like Florida, and somehow the stupid sensor got triggered from the humidity, my warranty on my phone is now voided? :mad:

c0LdFire

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2013
Accidentally drop a hammer on it and shatter the screen. Then ask for an out of warranty replacement. You'll pay a pretty penny out of pocket, but not as much as full retail.

saving107

macrumors 603
Oct 14, 2007
San Jose, Ca
Apple just settled a class-action lawsuit because of faulty sensors indicating water damage when the phone had not been in contact with water. It was said that Apple was going to "relax" on the policy.

The sensor being triggered was no longer the only indication water damage, their had to be signs of corrosion inside the phone.

Apple relaxing repair policy for iPods with triggered liquid sensors
http://appleinsider.com/articles/11...olicy_for_ipods_with_triggered_liquid_sensors

ipodlsi-110131-1.jpg

Jason1978

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2013
Yah I heard about this lawsuit too. If I were you I would make some noise about this. Good luck to you brother.

imaginex20

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 17, 2009
I mentioned this lawsuit to the "Genius" when I was there. After about 10 mins he came back saying "that lawsuit only applies to the original iPhone, 3G and iPods". I replied "the claims can be applied to current devices also" he walked away.

----------

Anyone know who I can email someone at Apple to raise my concerns?

Jason1978

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2013
I mentioned this lawsuit to the "Genius" when I was there. After about 10 mins he came back saying "that lawsuit only applies to the original iPhone, 3G and iPods". I replied "the claims can be applied to current devices also" he walked away.

----------

Anyone know who I can email someone at Apple to raise my concerns?

Call the Apple customer service line. If they don't help ask to speak to a supervisor, be adamant and tell them that you are serious about taking this to the next level, but be nice at the same time.

Beezy253

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2013
Tacoma, WA
Apple just settled a class-action lawsuit because of faulty sensors indicating water damage when the phone had not been in contact with water. It was said that Apple was going to "relax" on the policy.

The sensor being triggered was no longer the only indication water damage, their had to be signs of corrosion inside the phone.

Apple relaxing repair policy for iPods with triggered liquid sensors
http://appleinsider.com/articles/11...olicy_for_ipods_with_triggered_liquid_sensors

Can't wait to get my check!

AFDoc

Suspended
Jun 29, 2012
Colorado Springs USA for now
Background:

For awhile now my GF has told me her iPhone 5 battery has been wacky lately. When charged to say 97% and like 30 mins later or so it would show 67%. Sometimes at say 56% and plugging it in to charge it shows 30%.

At Apple Genius Appointment:

Told the "Genius" my problem. He first took out sim card and saw the sensor was triggered. I told him that couldn't be this phone was never dropped in water. He said well it was exposed to water. I told him to take it in the back and check all the other sensors and they were OK. But since this sensor was triggered I could not get my phone serviced under warranty. I was pretty pissed...The only time this phone would have gotten exposed to water is due to humidity. Sometimes the phone would be taken in the bathroom while taking showers.

I just don't understand this stupid policy. If I was living in a humid environment like Florida, and somehow the stupid sensor got triggered from the humidity, my warranty on my phone is now voided? :mad:

My brother lives in Florida and has never had an issue with faulty sensor, neither has his wife, his kid ect. IF living in Florida was such a major issue for the sensors you would hear/see thousands of threads r/t Florida. Not saying it couldn't of been faulty but don't blame Florida for that. PLUS unless you have been with the phone 24/7 (i.e. it's your phone) you can't say it's never been exposed to water. Drip from a cup, drop of rain, splash by the sink, any of these things could of happened.

If all were not triggered or at least 2 I would of pushed the issue then and there. With that spastic battery response it sure sounds like it could of been a water issue to me.

I tried pushing the issue. Even asked to speak to the manager and he wasn't budging either. Only one sensor was triggered and it was the one near the sim slot that got triggered. I made it known that I'll email Apple about it and he said go right ahead...
My Apple store knows me by reputation (not sure if that's good or bad) because I won't let them get one over on me. I have had a jailbroken 3gs swapped for dust under the screen, I had my i5 swapped for power button issues with the tip of a headphone jack stuck in the phone (guy said that made it OOW, I asked him if it made the power button stop working? Of course his answer was no). IF it's something I did to cause the phone not to work (80 ft tumble down the hill at Slick Rock while mountain biking ect) then I'll pay the OOW cost but if they try and give me the ol "X makes your phone OOW, and even though X didn't cause Y we won't cover you" crap it's on. HOWEVER, and again I'm not saying this is the case but I had a 3gs that only got wet at the 30 pin and only the 30pin sensor was activated. I also had spastic battery issues. Again, not saying that happened but sounds similar to what happened to my actually water damaged phone.

Last edited:

imaginex20

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 17, 2009
My brother lives in Florida and has never had an issue with faulty sensor, neither has his wife, his kid ect. IF living in Florida was such a major issue for the sensors you would hear/see thousands of threads r/t Florida. Not saying it couldn't of been faulty but don't blame Florida for that. PLUS unless you have been with the phone 24/7 (i.e. it's your phone) you can't say it's never been exposed to water. Drip from a cup, drop of rain, splash by the sink, any of these things could of happened.

If all were not triggered or at least 2 I would of pushed the issue then and there. With that spastic battery response it sure sounds like it could of been a water issue to me.

I tried pushing the issue. Even asked to speak to the manager and he wasn't budging either. Only one sensor was triggered and it was the one near the sim slot that got triggered. I made it known that I'll email Apple about it and he said go right ahead...

Beezy253

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2013
Tacoma, WA

Call Apple and ask to speak to a Sr. Apple Advisor.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.