Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gusnyc

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 18, 2007
New York City
Hi!

I got a silver Verizon 5S this afternoon. I set it up like a new device and I installed the apps from iTunes.

I am noticing that the phone gets very hot. Almost uncomfortable to use. I am not playing complicated games or anything crazy, just sending texts and downloading some music from iTunes match.

I didn't read anything about the new iPhone getting so hot. Is this normal? Anybody else is having the same experience?

Thanks for your comments.

Gus

defboob

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2008
My wife and I's phones got warm to touch during the iCloud backup restore when we just got the phones setup. After it was complete, it's never been like that again. I read of others experiencing this too during the initial iCloud backup restore. It'll probably be just fine.

gusnyc

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 18, 2007
New York City
My wife and I's phones got warm to touch during the iCloud backup restore when we just got the phones setup. After it was complete, it's never been like that again. I read of others experiencing this too during the initial iCloud backup restore. It'll probably be just fine.

Thanks for your answers.

I think the phone is doing the backup to iCloud right now. I will wait until tomorrow to see what happens.

I am very surprised. I have the iPhone 5 as well and it never got hot like this one.

AntnyMikal

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2012
I'd take it to the Genius Bar or apple store. When the 4s came out mine would get stupid hot doing simple things and be warm idle for no reason.
Apple genius played with it for like 1-2 minutes and then said "this isn't normal" had a new phone in 5 minutes.

fieldsphotos

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2013
Mine did that too during the initial restore from iCloud backup. Hot enough that it was uncomfortable to touch. The only other time it did that was when I had to delete and reinstall a bunch of stuck apps that didn't get transferred correctly during the iCloud backup.

Otherwise it has been at normal temperatures. I am currently just assuming that is what it does when I am doing big downloads, etc. If it continues I will take it to the Genius bar.

AntnyMikal

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2012
This is why we love Apple. You just don't get this experience anywhere else.

Yeah, I wish more companies were like this. I didn't have to pay a restocking fee or anything like that either. Just signed a e-receipt and was handed new phone.

hrrslmpk

macrumors member
Aug 28, 2013
It's an added feature, because winter is coming.

I lol'd when I read this lol mines got VERY hot too whenever it was just charging. So I took it back and swapped it out for another one...now this one gets warm when I'm just using it normally I've also noticed the camera, kind of a gut feeling, is slightly lesser on the clarity side than the first one...weird...

gusnyc

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 18, 2007
New York City
Update about temperature

The phone was getting hot even after transferring the music from iTunes match and the backup. So I forced a hard reset. It has been normal since then. The difference is tremendous. It was really uncomfortable to touch. Now I've been playing games like Asphalt 8, plus playing music and it barely got a little warmer, barely noticeable.

AAPLinc

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2012
Hollywood, CA
My 5S was getting pretty warm when I was downloading about 15-20 apps at a time, while it was also automatically downloading the latest version of iOS (just got it). It's gonna get warm when it's working hard. I wouldn't say my 5S got hot though, if your phone feels "hot" then that's not right.

Last edited:

roken

macrumors regular
Apr 14, 2010
Started another topic with the same issue here a few days ago:

https://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=18053198

Seems to be an issue with some of them, worth showing the Genius Bar.

doctorandrew

macrumors member
Jan 18, 2012
My iPhone 5s gets super hot as well! I notice it after using navigation, which reproducible using different nav apps like waze, stock maps app, or google maps.

Donoban

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2013
The phone was getting hot even after transferring the music from iTunes match and the backup. So I forced a hard reset. It has been normal since then. The difference is tremendous. It was really uncomfortable to touch. Now I've been playing games like Asphalt 8, plus playing music and it barely got a little warmer, barely noticeable.

My 4s gets hot when playing complex games as well. To the point it gets uncomfortable to hold. But it's only when playing graphic intense games. Everything else it's either cool or slightly warm.

Iphone5preorder

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2012
My iPhone 5s gets super hot as well! I notice it after using navigation, which reproducible using different nav apps like waze, stock maps app, or google maps.

Haven't tried that yet with my 5s but my 5 gets so hot using google maps that I have to set the phone on the passenger side. I can't even touch it it's so hot.

I've thought about making a video of me cooking an egg on my iphone while driving... I'm sure it would get tons of hits. Imagine that? iEggs. iPan. iCook. I see a lot of potential. Breakfast on the way to work.

gusnyc

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 18, 2007
New York City
Exchanged

Well, my iPhone started to get hot again a lot again. The hard reset was only a temporary fix. So I took it back to the Apple store. The staff was terrific. They exchanged for a new one in minutes. The new phone seems to be much much better. It seems there was something wrong with the first one. It was uncomfortable to keep in the pocket.

Last edited:

roken

macrumors regular
Apr 14, 2010
Well, my iPhone started to get hot again a pond again. The hard reset was only a templet fix. So I took it back to the Apple store. The staff was terrific. They exchanged for a new one in minutes. The new phone seems to be much much better. It seems there was something wrong with the first one. It was uncomfortable to keep in the pocket.

Had mine changed for a new one too, unfortunately this one has the same problem, getting warm in stupid things like iMessage and Photos app...

Wish I had another 5s around to compare this with, the iPhone 5 is ice cold compared.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Had mine changed for a new one too, unfortunately this one has the same problem, getting warm in stupid things like iMessage and Photos app...

Wish I had another 5s around to compare this with, the iPhone 5 is ice cold compared.

It might be something you are running. Try killing some of the apps and see if that helps.

roken

macrumors regular
Apr 14, 2010
It might be something you are running. Try killing some of the apps and see if that helps.

Been there done that, had genius' turn off most/all location and other settings to help. Also set up as a fresh phone as opposed to a restore, no joy. :/

Not sure what the problem has been... Hopefully better luck tomorrow. Will post back results.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.