Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tywebb13

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Apr 21, 2012
Will the full installer for mountain lion disappear from the mac app store when mavericks is publicly released?

That's what happened to lion when mountain lion was released.

What if people want to downgrade back to mountain lion, or dual boot mavericks and mountain lion and clean install the partitions, but don't have bootable usbs of either? How are they going to download mountain lion if it is no longer available on the mac app store?

Purchases tab in mac app store may solve the problem for some people who bought it before. But what about people who never bought it? Then it won't show up in purchases tab.

Apple still sell redemption codes for lion if you call 1800MYAPPLE. But to get a download code for lion, you need to convince apple you have a mac which can be upgraded to lion, but not mountain lion. There are a few such computers. You can then redeem it in the mac app store.

But I bet a lot of people who want to get lion will just download a torrent instead.

But there are no such computers that can be upgraded to mountain lion but not mavericks. The supported hardware is exactly the same. So such special arrangements apple make for lion will not be made for mountain lion.

How then to get a code for mountain lion?

If they remove it from the mac app store, you will see more people downloading it from torrents.

And that could be causing a whole lot of other problems in future too.

Last edited:

Spacial

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2013
Apple can force people to upgrade by discontinuing perfectly good products. They are doing it more frequently than ever. It's your money they want.

hallux

macrumors 68040
Apr 25, 2012
Apple can force people to upgrade by discontinuing perfectly good products. They are doing it more frequently than ever. It's your money they want.

Except I think Apple is saying that any Mac that can run 10.8 can also run 10.9 so by discontinuing 10.8 sales they're theoretically not leaving anyone behind.

Spacial

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2013
Except I think Apple is saying that any Mac that can run 10.8 can also run 10.9 so by discontinuing 10.8 sales they're theoretically not leaving anyone behind.

I do agree they're not leaving some behind, yet it's part of their psychological play to cause people to wonder what they are missing out on. Clever Apple, they've got many ways designed to separate us from our money :)

DGPMaluco

macrumors regular
Nov 16, 2012
Will the full installer for mountain lion disappear from the mac app store when mavericks is publicly released?

What if people want to downgrade back to mountain lion, or dual boot mavericks and mountain lion and clean install the partitions, but don't have bootable usbs of either? How are they going to download mountain lion if it is no longer available on the mac app store?

Purchases tab in mac app store may solve the problem for some people who bought it before. But what about people who never bought it? Then it won't show up in purchases tab.

Apple still sell redemption codes for lion if you call 1800MYAPPLE. But to get a download code for lion, you need to convince apple you have a mac which can be upgraded to lion, but not mountain lion. There are a few such computers. You can then redeem it in the mac app store.

But I bet a lot of people who want to get lion will just download a torrent instead.

But there are no such computers that can be upgraded to mountain lion but not mavericks. The supported hardware is exactly the same. So such special arrangements apple make for lion will not be made for mountain lion.

How then to get a code for mountain lion?

If they remove it from the mac app store, you will see more people downloading it from torrents.

And that could be causing a whole lot of other problems in future too.

Just download is somewhere else!

HenryAZ

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2010
South Congress AZ

I make a habit of downloading the installer packages while they are current, and saving them. I don't think there is any way to get prior versions, unless you saved them as they came along. Hard drive space is cheap, so I save each one.

However, I was able to download the latest Lion installer (10.7.5 with supplement) last October, which was quite a bit after ML came out. You had to have already purchased it, and it showed available for download only when booted up on a Snow Leopard disk. I haven't tried that since then, though.

benwiggy

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2012
I bought Lion and Mountain Lion. I can still download them from the Apple Store from my purchases list.
If you don't buy ML, then you can only buy Mavericks when it comes out.

If you want to upgrade, then Apple "forces" you to upgrade to the latest version. If you don't want to upgrade, then Apple does not "force" you.

How does this mean that "it's your money they want"? If you are still on 10.6, you can upgrade to Mavericks for the same price as upgrading to ML.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.