Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

-BigMac-

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Apr 15, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
Hi guys,
am running Lion GM on Mac Pro 2010.
Is there a better knowledge of the supported graphics cards available under Lion? I am looking to upgrade the 5770. Been holding out for a while for the 6XXX. Is there a high end 68XX or maybe 6950 that is sure to be supported?

Thanks!

ovrlrd

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2009
Nobody will know until new Mac Pros are out. Maybe someone has hacked together a way to make PC versions of the Radeon HD 6000 series cards work, but I have no clue about any of that stuff.

One thing I wonder about with new Mac Pros is how exactly Apple will implement Thunderbolt. Really there is just a huge lack of info right now until they actually release something.

Sneakz

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2008
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I have heard that an off the shelf HD 6670 works with a Mac Pro and Lion. Of course you can't see the grey Apple boot screen but it works once your at the desktop.

cthurber

macrumors newbie
Apr 15, 2012
RE: Mac Pro Graphics Upgrade options under Lion

Hey guys!

I know this thread may be a little old but seeing as it popped up when I was looking for answers, hopefully this will help many more people!
I'm running a Mac Pro 1,1 from 2007 and I just installed an ATI 6670 card with 2GB of VRAM and it runs BEAUTIFULLY. The only downside you can't see the grey Apple boot screen so you MUST set your preferences so you automatically login to your primary account.
Other than that, this card is GREAT! For $90, $150 less than Apple's offering of the ATI 5770 for $249 which has lesser stats, you get a great card with a minor set back!
Hope this helps!

Chris
cthurber@me.com

Americaneagle

macrumors newbie
Sep 8, 2012
Hey guys!

I know this thread may be a little old but seeing as it popped up when I was looking for answers, hopefully this will help many more people!
I'm running a Mac Pro 1,1 from 2007 and I just installed an ATI 6670 card with 2GB of VRAM and it runs BEAUTIFULLY. The only downside you can't see the grey Apple boot screen so you MUST set your preferences so you automatically login to your primary account.
Other than that, this card is GREAT! For $90, $150 less than Apple's offering of the ATI 5770 for $249 which has lesser stats, you get a great card with a minor set back!
Hope this helps!

Chris
cthurber@me.com

Im running an early 2008 and it woks fine. The problem i am having is that my video editing software does not use the GPU at all. Final Cut x has also just gone crazy with different errors, both are basically unusable right now. Any tips on how to better config the 6670? Or is it ML causing me trouble?

Theison

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2013
This is my system. I run crysis 3 on higest setting, just fine with maybe a little low fps, - in windows 7 bootcamp ssd. Im looking for at game in Lion, because i think windows does limit my powers..

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-10-07 at 1.27.11 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-10-07 at 1.27.11 AM.png
    90 KB · Views: 257

Ih8reno

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2012
Hey guys!

Hope this helps!

Chris
cthurber@me.com

Hi

I am trying to update the graphics card in my 2006 mac pro 1.1 with 32gb of ram running OS X 10.10. Can you confirm that the radeon hd 6670 2gb worked through all the os's I'm sure you threw at it?

Thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.